Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Why we started reading with electronic book readers

I was reading on my kindle the other day and a co-worker who has been thinking about getting his first ereader asked: what got me started reading ereaders to begin with.

"Well I'll tell you" I said "I have always been a rather voracious reader and the number of books in my library was getting a little out of hand, in fact they were threatening to take over the house. So I took to electronic reading out of necessity in an attempt to retain some living space in my home rather than letting the books take over the whole house."

What got you started in the first place?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I got a PDA.
Nice and compact and I could take it everywhere.
It let me read anywhere anytime.
And there was this website called BLACK MASK loaded with nicely formatted classics...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Part of it was a lust for a new toy.

But most of it was the limitless supply of public domain books for free on the internet. My jetBook Lite paid for itself in three months.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Like you I had a large library of books. I have one room that is a library. One large closet is all book shelves. I have books and book cases in office and I even have books in book cases in my store. I love to reread books and it was taking me an inordinate amount of time to find specific books.
I also liked the fact that my whole library could travel with me.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I wanted one when the Sony 500 was released. I waited til after Amazon released the Kindle, and then bought my husband one that summer. He was getting the Wall Street Journal delivered at the time, and when he was traveling they would just pile up in the house. I canceled that, and got him the subscription on the Kindle. A few months later, the Kindle did the Oprah discount, and I got one for myself. It took me a few months after that before I stopped using the local library and went 100% ebook.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Really, I was resistant to getting one and thought it was a silly toy, but I got one as a gift and was quickly proven wrong.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
I've always wanted to have books with me, used to have one or another ratty paperback in my purse. In the mid 90's I discovered fanfic. Hated reading off of the computer monitor for medium to long stories, and it was too expensive to print them out.

When I got my first monochrome Palm Pilot, and found software that let me put fanfic on it, I was in hog heaven. Then I went searching for other fiction, and grabbed what I could.

I've been carrying a library with me ever since, in one way or another.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Mine was because of space, or lack thereof, in my house. I always was going on ebay and buying books by the box load. Too many books when it came to moving. Then I heard about ereaders and the rest is history.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I lived in an fly-in only community, which meant that my options were mail-order or ebooks. I choose ebooks. I used the computer at first, and quickly decided to buy an ereader.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #10
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
I wanted to start writing ebooks, and I needed something to get a decent preview with.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I actually had to think about it for a few minutes before I remembered - it was because of Harlequin. I had previously gotten ebooks on Fictionwise waaay back in the day, but ereaders weren't even a blip on my radar then. It was definitely Harlequin that got me into the current ebook world. From there, Amazon, and ended up with a Kindle. While waiting for it to ship, I came here and got schooled on what I was getting into, just a few months shy of two years ago.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
Annikadk
Annikadk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-t1
Several thing did it for me.
New toy, but started at my laptop, then mobile, later tablet and now ereader.

Hate books fill so much in my home, and we have traveled some times the last years, and several books weight too much when flying.

And my arms doesn't like to sit / lay down holding a book in the air.

Ohh and my decision from tablet to ereader was again new toy, longer battery life,weight and reading in the sun
Annikadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #13
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
A library at my fingertips. Obscure, hard to find books are now easy to find. I can set the font what size I want. I never have to contend with old yellowed paper. I thought that I would dislike e-readers, because I don't like reading on a computer screen. But once I picked up an e-reader, I wanted one.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #14
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
For me it was the space books take up and the convenience of getting and carrying ebooks. When I started, I was also in a situation where I could have gadgets at work but not books.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
I had lots of books in electronic format and was tired of reading on PC.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote