Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Ireadfreely
Ireadfreely began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone
Using MobiDerm to convert PRC to Iphone readable

I am relativley new to this. I purchased a DRM protected book several weeks ago. I read it fine on my computer, however I wish to have it on my iphone as a pdf, or a pub (so it can be compatible with ereader from fictionwise).

I am not asking for the software

But can some break it down for me? how can I do the conversion without error.

I appreciate it in advance.!

Last edited by Ireadfreely; 10-25-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Ireadfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireadfreely View Post
Sorry, you can't convert a DRMed file. Assuming you know that then you know you need to break the DRM. So, do that. Then, you need to find a way to convert the mobi format to ePub or eReader. I don't think eReader reads ePub, but Stanza does. I'm not aware of hand of how to do that... but I'm sure the tools are out there.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does mobi(DRM free)->epub
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
Ireadfreely

My question is the how process. I will happily upload the file and someone can do it for me. hell i'll pay lol.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
My question is the how process. I will happily upload the file and someone can do it for me. hell i'll pay lol.
It is likely copyrighted and anyone doing it for you would be breaking the law. The Adobe DRM is not breakable from any known means so the only way to convert the file would be to do screen captures or print it out and then OCR the results.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2008, 01:20 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you can break the Mobipocket DRM, then Stanza will happily display the un-DRMed Mobipocket file on your iPhone without further format conversion.

If you really want to take it to eReader, that's a lot more complex. You'll need to extract the html from the un-DRMed Mobipocket file, using mobi2html (one of the excellent Perl scripts for manipulation Mobipocket files), and then convert the HTML to eReader markup. I don't know of any automated way to do that - multiple search/replace might work OK. And then you need to compile up the eReader source using one of the tools eReader provide for that purpose.

Quote:
I am relativley new to this. I purchased a DRM protected book several weeks ago. I read it fine on my computer, however I wish to have it on my iphone as a pdf, or a pub (so it can be compatible with ereader from fictionwise).

I am not asking for the software

I appreciate it in advance.!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:23 PM   #7
Ireadfreely

Well. Breaking the drm is what I need to focus on then. Stanza will do fine. It is a workout book. I bought the book on mobipocket which didn't help me. I own the actual hard cover book as well. Carrying the book on my iphone at the gym seems easier.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Secure Mobi to something I can use on my 505?. The final step is Calibre for the PRS-505 or for ePub (i.e. for Stanza), so this is completely relevant.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Ireadfreely

nice. I will give it a try. Nice to know that if there are problems the community can help.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you can break the Mobipocket DRM, then Stanza will happily display the un-DRMed Mobipocket file on your iPhone without further format conversion.
Well, that is almost true. In actual practice Stanza does convert your document to ePUB format for display on your phone but it is automatic when you transfer it from your desktop. The display on your iPHONE stanza is always from ePUB.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
Ireadfreely

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, that is almost true. In actual practice Stanza does convert your document to ePUB format for display on your phone but it is automatic when you transfer it from your desktop. The display on your iPHONE stanza is always from ePUB.

Dale

What do you mean? I should use the desktop stanza to convert then put it on the phone?
Old 10-25-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
What do you mean? I should use the desktop stanza to convert then put it on the phone?
Yes and no. Actually, when you connect to Stanza from your iPhone the conversion will happen automatically in the background.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
Ireadfreely

THANK YOU!. I HOPE IT WORKS. I leave work soon. I'll report here when I have succeeded.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
Ireadfreely

I am lost. I have the book and script on my desktop. and no clue how to incorporate into python.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #15
Ireadfreely

where do I put these files. Please help I have no clue what this stuff is.