Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #31
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks. It's quite difficult to judge whether the brightnesses of the two are the same, because they look very different: the Voyage is (to my eyes) white, whereas the Kobo has a yellow tinge to it.
Yep. And I always try to ask people who are seeing colours whether the photo reflects what they are seeing IRL - because a low quality (eg phone) camera taking a photo off centre can produce concentric red and green-blue artifacts. (waves hands - I'm sure there's a word for this - I just can't think of it.)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #32
Kulamata
Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kulamata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm not suggesting for a moment that anyone is being whiny. In fact, I specifically said that it was a matter of perception a couple of posts ago.

Here's a photograph I've just taken of my Voyage (left) and Kobo (right) side-by-side. Can you tell me how much of a colour gradient you can see in each screen, please? I adjusted the brightness so the two screens appeared of equal brightness to me.
Is that a genu-wine Voyage? I don't see the page turn bars and dots...
Kulamata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #33
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Don't assume, either, that you can solve the problem by switching to a different type of reader: my Kobo Aura H2O shows a brightness gradient just like the Voyage (meaning that I don't see it visually, but I can see it on a photograph by copying/pasting the top of the screen at the bottom).
You keep saying that about the H20 and if you copy/paste sections maybe it shows, but how much are you hearing about people noticing it to the naked eye? Very little to none. That's the difference.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulamata View Post
Is that a genu-wine Voyage? I don't see the page turn bars and dots...
They're on the bezel, which is very black in the photo, due to the brightness of the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #35
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
You keep saying that about the H20 and if you copy/paste sections maybe it shows, but how much are you hearing about people noticing it to the naked eye? Very little to none. That's the difference.
That's true, but my point is that I don't see it on the Voyage, either, even if other people do.
Advert
Old 11-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #36
javadoo
Connoisseur
javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.javadoo never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
That's true, but my point is that I don't see it on the Voyage, either, even if other people do.
I'm not seeing it either-both in your pictures and on my device IRL.
javadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadoo View Post
I'm not seeing it either-both in your pictures and on my device IRL.
Which proves what we're all saying: that it's a matter of individual perception, not of faulty devices.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #38
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLNG View Post
I'm only on my first Voyage, and I found that mine is also pretty tolerable at the maximum brightness, but it's when set it between 8-20 brightness that it's far more noticeable. To me that is a lot more important, because honestly, how often do you ever actually use it on full brightness? However, brightness around 8-12 is what I use all the time when reading in bed in the pitch black, and the experience is soured on the Voyage screen
I understand your anger. I read right at 20 and slightly below during the day - the level at which your gradient is more noticeable (and mine) - and in total darkness at night. Reading on my KV (the best of the two) was excruciating, pure and simple.

Is it any wonder my PW2 looks so perfect when compared? The screen, lighting, and reading has been far superior to my PW1 or the KV I returned. If I had received a good KV my story might be very different.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #39
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Mine looks very much like yours Harry. Honestly, the gradient just doesn't bother me especially once I've gotten "into" the book that I am reading.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:37 PM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
Mine looks very much like yours Harry. Honestly, the gradient just doesn't bother me especially once I've gotten "into" the book that I am reading.
It doesn't merely not bother me. I just plain don't see it .
Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #41
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Just posting another point of view--I do see color variations in the picture posted by MikeyLNG especially at the 10 and 15 lighting levels. On the other hand the picture posted by Harry of his Voyage and Kobo H2O--both units look great to me.

To be honest, even though I notice the variations in MikeyLNG's pictures, I think I could live with it--can't say for sure though--it might end up really bothering me. On the other hand, I would be ecstatic with either of Harry's units. I personally own a PW2 and an Aura HD--and and more than satisfied with both of them.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #42
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Which is a fair comment, and I agree that there are differences in peoples perception of how the screen looks (some pics on here I can see an ugly gradient, some I can't ). However, virtually no one IS seeing the variation in the H2O screen in general, use even if there is variation in it, whereas there are a quite a number of people that ARE seeing the variation in their Kindles screens. That's the problem I have with your previous statement: "... Kobo Aura H2O shows a brightness gradient just like the Voyage...". The gradient may exist, but virtually no one notices it unless you cut and paste it on a picture.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #43
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Yes, it seems to be a matter of personal preference. I think my Voyage might be like Harry's. If I look very carefully on mine, I can see the pink and blue that you are talking about, but I have to work at it. I have been reading at light settings ranging from 8-12. I much prefer the Voyage over Harry's yellow Kobo. Again, personal preference.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Here's a photograph I've just taken of my Voyage (left) and Kobo (right) side-by-side. Can you tell me how much of a colour gradient you can see in each screen, please? I adjusted the brightness so the two screens appeared of equal brightness to me.
It looks to me that you've gotten a good Voyage -- so I'm guessing that's why your "perception" is positive.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #45
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLNG View Post
I'm only on my first Voyage, and I found that mine is also pretty tolerable at the maximum brightness, but it's when set it between 8-20 brightness that it's far more noticeable.....
These shots look fine to me. I prefer a warmer screen, so liked the yellowish PW2 over the blueish PW1. But from some comments I thought perhaps the voyage had a very cool screen (bluish) which I find less pleasant. From these pics it doesn't seem too bluish.

I don't mind a light gradient, or colour reflections. I can see these on everything if I look for them. Right now, I can see variations on my couch, wall, glass over my fireplace, coffee mug. I do look for them when I'm painting, as they help convey the effects of light and atmosphere.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote