Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #61
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
You can hold a couple thousand books, side loaded or bn purchases it doesnt matter.
If only that were true! I would buy one, if only they didn't partition the storage so that only 1/8 of the space is available for non BN content! That is BS! Because of that, I spurn BN's new Nook.

And people think Amazon is a controlling company! I buy books from Amazon, but I don't put them on the Kindle as is, nor would I do so with BN or Kobo books. My device, my books, I want them to look my way!

At this point, the Kobo is the best thing on the market. I will be getting an Aura next year. 4gb of non-partitioned space AND an SD card, AND I can add my own fonts....no one else can beat that.

OTOH, my Nook HD is a great ereader, 8gb + SD card slot, no limitations, the only real drawback is the weight. I'd like an ereader with 8gb that was 8oz or less.

Last edited by booklover6; 10-30-2013 at 01:09 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #62
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
If only that were true! I would buy one, if only they didn't partition the storage so that only 1/8 of the space is available for non BN content! That is BS! Because of that, I spurn BN's new Nook.

And people think Amazon is a controlling company! I buy books from Amazon, but I don't put them on the Kindle as is, nor would I do so with BN or Kobo books. My device, my books, I want them to look my way!

At this point, the Kobo is the best thing on the market. I will be getting an Aura next year. 4gb of non-partitioned space AND an SD card, AND I can add my own fonts....no one else can beat that.

OTOH, my Nook HD is a great ereader, 8gb + SD card slot, no limitations, the only real drawback is the weight. I'd like an ereader with 8gb that was 8oz or less.
I see where you are coming from....still as long as i can purchase it and read it i am set. I am not into extra fonts and such. I usually read a book once and move on with the exception of a few of my favorite classic authors i have read since my school days years ago.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 01:47 PM   #63
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
If people only want to sideload books, why do they buy a store branded, subsidized e-reader?

The e-reader is so cheap because it is sold at a loss (as B&N has to match the price of the ad supported Kindle I think you can be sure about that).
To make a profit and to continue existing as a company they have to sell you B&N content, so they have to make buying B&N content more attractive then buying non-B&N content.

But even then. 512 MB is enough for 500 to 600 sideloaded books. Who really needs more books than that available at one time? You can only read a few books at a time.

Do all those people complaining realize that the specs of this new Nook e-reader are comparable, and even slightly better, to those of the Kindle Paperwhite that a lot of people are calling the best e-reader available?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I loved the Simple Touch (thought it was sooooo ugly at first, but it was soooo convenient to hold without a cover!)
I recently got an M-Edge Executive cover (in purple) for the nook STR and I find it much much easier to hold with a cover. I didn't care for how it felt to hold without a cover. The rubberized front makes it feel funny to hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #65
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Where (in the US) will one find an e-ink ereader of good quality that is not store branded? I wish there was such a thing. I have tried 2 non-store branded non LCD readers (both of which are only sold in Europe) and I found both of them lacking. Perhaps you have more choices?

So if one here wants a non-LCD, good quality reader, one must go with one of the major brands, all of which are tied to their stores. I would gladly buy a generic if it was any good.

If I only wanted 512 MB of space I could go with an old, outdated Sony 300. But I don't want something that outdated.

I don't consider the specs comparable. I have 1.2 GB storage available on my PW, but less than half that is available on the new Nook. So what if I have only 300 books on my PW at the moment. I like to have a variety availble. I have over 600 on my Kobo Mini, which also has MORE SPACE than the new Nook.

For fans of the BN ebook store, this is a great ereader. Their store doesn't work for me. (I mean it doesn't work...I can't even get freebies...and the text layout is usually all jumbled up). The space reserved for BN content would be useless to me, even if I could get books from them. But I am picky....I will stop reading a book if it has formatting issues, remove it from the device, fix it, and put it back. I surely don't read them as is when I buy them, not from any store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If people only want to sideload books, why do they buy a store branded, subsidized e-reader?

The e-reader is so cheap because it is sold at a loss (as B&N has to match the price of the ad supported Kindle I think you can be sure about that).
To make a profit and to continue existing as a company they have to sell you B&N content, so they have to make buying B&N content more attractive then buying non-B&N content.

But even then. 512 MB is enough for 500 to 600 sideloaded books. Who really needs more books than that available at one time? You can only read a few books at a time.

Do all those people complaining realize that the specs of this new Nook e-reader are comparable, and even slightly better, to those of the Kindle Paperwhite that a lot of people are calling the best e-reader available?

Last edited by booklover6; 10-30-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Advert
Old 10-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Because in the US, that's pretty much all we can get without having to buy overseas and have it shipped here. There is no US presence for Onyx. Bookeen refuses to sell their latest Reader in the US. Yes, we can get Onyx through Booxtor, but the exchange rate does make it expensive and if there is an issue with the screen like there there have been with the PW1, PW2, and Kobo Aura, then sending it back is going to be expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #67
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Why wouldn't they? The branded devices are usually up to date tech wise and cheaper. Wanting to sideload doesn't mean they aren't buying the majority of their stuff from said store. A lot of books have crap formatting or need tweaking, those then need to be sideloaded too. Not to mention the non-store readers aren't easily available here.

Quote:
I really don't see how what they're doing makes purchasing from them any more attractive. That's done by having a good store experience and enticing offers, not by locking things up tight.

Quote:
I agree (for me), but a lot of people want their entire libraries on their device. Not hard to understand. Still even though it's enough space for me I don't like the idea of segregating the storage.

Quote:
Slower processor and older screen tech on the Nook. What specs are better? Maybe that it's ad free and lighter I guess. I think most of the complaints really center around things people hoped a new Nook would have (microSD, page turn buttins) as it's something that helped set their device apart from Amazon's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #68
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Why is it strange?
Because, as I indicated, it set them apart from the competition. There's nothing on this device that has not been available on existing devices for a year or more.

Quote:
You can hold a couple thousand books
On 500MB? No, you can't.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:47 PM   #69
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
... get used to it.
Excuse me for having an opinion and expressing it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:58 PM   #70
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Because, as I indicated, it set them apart from the competition. There's nothing on this device that has not been available on existing devices for a year or more.

On 500MB? No, you can't.
It has 4 gb. The rest isnt just sitting there doing nothing. Also you would be wrong in stating this device has nothing the others do not.

Last edited by Tony1988; 10-30-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:02 PM   #71
Tony1988
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Excuse me for having an opinion and expressing it.
Mine is an opinion of your opinion. Wasnt meant to anger you. But the truth is we just are not going to see multiple buttons on devices like this as much anymore. The swipe or tap on thesd devices are exceptionally functionable and for people to dismiss the nook for lacking buttons and giving the others a pass in unfair. They need to remain competitive on price and i think they delivered.

Last edited by Tony1988; 10-30-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #72
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
It has 4 gb. The rest isnt just sitting there doing nothing.
It isn't sitting there doing nothing, but it also isn't available for storing books! 2,5 GB in total available for content, of that only 500 MB is available for sideloaded content. Enough for me, but not for everyone!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #73
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It has 4 gb. The rest isnt just sitting there doing nothing. Also you would be wrong in stating this device has nothing the others do not.
What does it have that the other devices don't?

If it only had 4gb of unpartitioned storage (less operating space of course), I would be interested. But that majority of that 4gb is unusable, and will do absolutely NOTHING unless you have BN books there.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #74
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

No the specs are not the same as the Kindle Paperwhite. It has a better screen and ALL of the space can be used for side loaded books.

I buy my books from independent publishers because a) the don't have DRM, and b) the authors get a higher rate of commission. If I buy an ereader, from any company, I expect to be able to read my own books, not just those I buy from the manufacturer of the device!

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-30-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #75
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself11 View Post
I'm a bit disappointed. Light seemed very bluish and no black color available. I'm afraid it won't be possible to root due to the lack of SD.
Even on devices with SD support, rooting is usually first accomplished over USB using Android Debug Bridge. Lack of SD does mean that end users will have to root the same way the devs do, using command line from a PC. And, of course, with such limited storage and the same old Android 2.1 OS as the last model, the appeal of rooting will be limited. It seems like B&N is deliberately fighting their reputation for hackable hardware and aiming squarely for the tech challenged crowd that takes comfort in going to a brick and mortar store.

I want to finally pick up an E Ink device now that the pixel density and front lighting are there, but everything in this gen is disappointing. It's not a matter of which ereader is best, but which has the least crippling compromises. Honestly the Aura HD is still looking pretty good, though I'm leery of the software and build quality (especially at that price) and I was really hoping for something as hackable as the Nook STR/Glow1.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote