Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #5776
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Are albatrosses supposed to be the souls of sailors who have drowned, or am I making that up?
Not what I was looking for, but maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Jeez! Look what it did for the Ancient Mariner! One shot and not any drop to drink!

Albatross tend to fly near shore, and sailors just out of sight of land could tell which direction the shore was when they would see one. I guess that's like the Ravens carried by the Vikings in a previous quiz question.

Stitchawl
Also good, but not what I was looking for.

I had a very simple answer in mind, but maybe the other answers are just as valid.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #5777
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Because they're inedible, so there's no point? (I don't know if they're inedible or not, just guessing. This is a variation on the To Kill a Mockingbird reason.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #5778
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lions are inedible too, but people still arrange safaris and corner them so that German and US tourists can shoot them.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #5779
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Yeah, I liked was Bookpossum's answer, so now I'm curious as to SneakySnake's answer.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #5780
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I also thought it was along the lines of Bookpossum's answer. I know that it was considered lucky if an Albatross followed a ship, so I guess killing one was therefore considered unlucky?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #5781
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Because they're inedible, so there's no point? (I don't know if they're inedible or not, just guessing. This is a variation on the To Kill a Mockingbird reason.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
Lions are inedible too, but people still arrange safaris and corner them so that German and US tourists can shoot them.
Wow. That seems irrelevant and an overreaction, especially given my nationality, to what seems to me a reasonable guess and one which in no way condoned shooting the inedible.

Just Germans and Americans, eh? Could we keep unnecessary national slurs out of a fun thread?

A simple no would have sufficed.

Last edited by issybird; 02-25-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #5782
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I also thought it was along the lines of Bookpossum's answer. I know that it was considered lucky if an Albatross followed a ship, so I guess killing one was therefore considered unlucky?
That was what I thought it was. Simply that you would kill your luck. I think the albatross around the neck was to show everyone who killed the luck. I don't know if the dead sailor thing was part of the same luck story, or something that came earlier or later or even from the same people.

Quote:
Wow. That seems irrelevant and an overreaction, especially given my nationality, to what seems to me a reasonable guess and one which in no way condoned shooting the inedible.

Just Germans and Americans, eh? Could we keep unnecessary national slurs out of a fun thread?

A simple no would have sufficed.
Apologies for that. I simply remembered who was attending the safari I saw on the TV (I was disgusted), and blabbed without thinking. I did not mean to imply that Germans and Americans are all killers. sorry!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #5783
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Issy's American? I thought she was from England. Isn't that what her location says?
Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #5784
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Issy's American? I thought she was from England. Isn't that what her location says?
Issy's from New England, I think you'll find.

I'm from old England.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #5785
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Issy's from New England, I think you'll find.

I'm from old England.
Look at where I'm from.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #5786
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:

Quote:
Look at where I'm from.
An island?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #5787
Daithi
Publishers are evil!

Quote:

An island?
Actually, that's a good quiz (even though it's not my turn). Why is Rhode Island called an Island even though it is not an island?

When I lived in California, I worked for a company that had a client in Rhode Island, and I always asked them why it was called Rhode Island and no one ever knew. BTW, for those of you not from the states, Rhode Island is one of the six states considered part of "New England".
Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #5788
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!

I thunk it was as island! d'oh!

Is it named after a place that was really an island?

Last edited by SneakySnake; 02-26-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #5789
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
It's called after the Rhode Island Red hens!

(Only kidding. )
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #5790
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I know the answer to this and I even know the full name of your state, but that's 'cos I'm local. I'll keep schtum.