Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #31
GA Russell
Pre-season starts May 20
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome Liv!

It looks like we're being overrun by melonheads! LOL
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #32
Liv
Liv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks SensualPoet! Ok, here's another probably stupid question....So I know that Sasktel has 3G now, do you have to get a package with Sasktel in order to get 3G on the Kindle, which you would pay monthly for the amount you use, or, is it like Wifi, and just connects to something that is already being paid or by either me (in my home) or someone else (ex.a hotel)??? Because if it's free like Wifi, then I would get the 3G, otherwise,if I have would have to pay for it through Sasktel, then I wouldn't bother as I don't need it for business or anything like that, it's just personal use. New technology is confusing...........haha.

Also, do you have a Kindle 3 in Sask? Or anyone else? Just wondering again how you go about getting one and setting up an account to download books.

Thanks for all your "Melon Heads"!!!
Liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 AM   #33
Liv

I also read that the general browsing on the internet does not work in Canada, only the US, and you are only able to either download books or use Wikipedia in Canada. Is this correct?

My parents have an address in the US, so would I have to register it under that address, and would that allow me access to general internet browsing? Or, should I register it under my own canadian address?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #34
Calebo
Calebo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Liv,
I have a friend in Regina, she ordered her Kindle from Amazon.com, using her Canadian address. She tells me that it works great, no trouble downloading books with the whispernet or 3g.
Calebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #35
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv View Post
I also read that the general browsing on the internet does not work in Canada, only the US, and you are only able to either download books or use Wikipedia in Canada. Is this correct?

My parents have an address in the US, so would I have to register it under that address, and would that allow me access to general internet browsing? Or, should I register it under my own canadian address?
I live in Alberta - I can browse the internet on the Kindle AND download books directly to the device. I registered it in Alberta to an Albertan address.
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #36
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:

Also, do you have a Kindle 3 in Sask? Or anyone else? Just wondering again how you go about getting one and setting up an account to download books.

)
You order from Amazon.com and use your Amazon.com account to register the device and then download books.

Last edited by Samantha45; 10-15-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #37
Samantha45
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thanks SensualPoet! Ok, here's another probably stupid question....So I know that Sasktel has 3G now, do you have to get a package with Sasktel in order to get 3G on the Kindle, which you would pay monthly for the amount you use, or, is it like Wifi, and just connects to something that is already being paid or by either me (in my home) or someone else (ex.a hotel)??? Because if it's free like Wifi, then I would get the 3G, otherwise,if I have would have to pay for it through Sasktel, then I wouldn't bother as I don't need it for business or anything like that, it's just personal use. New technology is confusing...........haha.
If you use the wi-fi you need to either have a wifi network in your house (which you would use with your computer to surf the internet so you would be paying for that already) or you can use the Kindle's wi-fi at a wi-fi hot spot.

If you use the 3G there are no fees for it. It's not like a cell phone. Right now Amazon pays for the 3G usage.

the Kindle will try to connect to a wi-fi network first and if it can't find one it will connect to the 3G.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #38
Samantha45
Connoisseur

Quote:
. It's all very confusing to me, but I just assumed you downloaded a book to your computer, like you would a song, and then put in on the ebook, like you would the song to an Ipod.
you can do it that way.

Also because the Kindle can connect to the Amazon.com kindle store either by wi-fi or 3G you can peruse the Kindle store through the Kindle and download books to the Kindle that way.

You can also go on the Amazon.com website through a computer and buy a book and send it to your Kindle. When you turn the Kindle on it will sync and download it for you.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #39
Liv

Wow, you guys are so much help! I just wanted to make sure the little gadgets is worth it's money here is Sask. And it's also good to know that 3G usuage is free, otherwise I would not get it.

So, you don't need a US address to register it to get books off of the Amazon.com site? I read on another forum that the Amazon.ca does not offer the same amount of choices, but if you register a US address, you can get them from the .com site.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:50 AM   #40
Samantha45
Connoisseur

Quote:

So, you don't need a US address to register it to get books off of the Amazon.com site? I read on another forum that the Amazon.ca does not offer the same amount of choices, but if you register a US address, you can get them from the .com site.
You don't need a US address to buy Kindle books from Amazon.com.

Amazon.ca does not offer Kindle books. You have to buy them from Amazon.com.

Some books are not available in Canada but that's just because of publishing rights and it's probably 1% of the books that Amazon offers.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #41
ALinBC
ALinBC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX & 3G/wifi on order
Just ordered a Kindle 3 for my wife after getting a using my DX for a week (new Kobo wifi to be returned to Chapters). Love reading Hawking's Grand Design.
ALinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #42
Liv

New Kobo wifi or Kindle 3, what's better???
Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #43
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Liv: see my thread comparing the Kobo and Kindle, here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105979

Executive summary: the Kindle 3 is a better device.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #44
Samantha45
Connoisseur

Quote:
New Kobo wifi or Kindle 3, what's better???
Kindle.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #45
PhotoJim
PhotoJim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
For the archive:

Kindles in Saskatchewan now seem able to use the SaskTel network. I had 3G coverage at the cottage (Sunset Cove, across Last Mountain Lake from Regina Beach) and Rogers only has EDGE there so it had to be SaskTel.

Good news for Kindle users who live in or are regularly in rural Saskatchewan.

I'll be in Nova Scotia next week; I'm hoping Kindles will work on Bell/Aliant there.
PhotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote