Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #16
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
Your review, comparing and contrasting PDF's on the Reader vs. actual manga, was pretty good; though I do think you should give credit where it is due. Alex_d created PDFRasterfarian quite a while back, and while you mention using "a rasterfarian," I think that is the name he came up with and should be given credit for it. If you meant to say you used a PDF rasterizer, then pardon my comment; but I believe in giving credit where it is due.

Not sure where the user that posted a comment received a 4-5 second page-flip time, unless he/she was reporting a raw JPG flip/draw. I've used PDFRasterfarian since Alex first put it out there and have never seen this kind of flip-time, it's usually on the order of less than a .5 second.
The name has been changed to rasterfarian since beta 2.5 already, that's why I named it like that (and I've also only known it as rasterfarian)
and the user in that comment was indeed talkinga bout raw jpg-pageturns which is indeed at least twice as slow, because the initial page will be loaded (1 refresh) and then gets rescaled (2nd reflash) and maybe even a 3rd one for sharpness.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:44 PM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yup, he changed the name with the release of 2.5.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10402
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2007, 04:12 AM   #18
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Apparently my point was missed... I was making a remark about Rasterfarian being referred to as "a rasterfarian," which indicates it's not a specific program, but a type of program. Secondly, I stated that I was bothered by the fact that a review was written, referenced a program (albeit vaguely), and no mention of the original author or source was listed. That is what bothers me, since it's acts like that which cause people to either; a) stop developing or b) not get the credit that they so rightfully deserve. It's the same as me posting a review about how to convert comics to Reader format, mention "a comic convertor," and not mention who created it or where to get it. I'm sure you'd like to get credit for what you've put time into and MobileRead get publicity for where to get it.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:04 AM   #19
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apparently my point was missed... I was making a remark about Rasterfarian being referred to as "a rasterfarian," which indicates it's not a specific program, but a type of program. Secondly, I stated that I was bothered by the fact that a review was written, referenced a program (albeit vaguely), and no mention of the original author or source was listed. That is what bothers me, since it's acts like that which cause people to either; a) stop developing or b) not get the credit that they so rightfully deserve. It's the same as me posting a review about how to convert comics to Reader format, mention "a comic convertor," and not mention who created it or where to get it. I'm sure you'd like to get credit for what you've put time into and MobileRead get publicity for where to get it.
That's because a few hours before that review was written, I've already made a blog about converting with rasterfarian: http://hightech.afmag.net/converting...ser-combo.html with a link. And because rasterfarian doesn't have a homepage of it's own, only forum topics, I'd rather not make a link in other articles. It's better if the user do a search to get the latest version.

And I was planning on writing a full tutorial on my method of converting manga the way you see in the review.

Also, you might have noticed in the rasterfarian thread that I've been working with it intensively and giving bug reports and improvement tips already. And I am working on a patched version release as requested by alex in the same thread. So I think he knows that I do support his programs.

Last edited by athlonkmf; 06-30-2007 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Apparently my point was missed....
Heh, Yeah, I missed it too, Azayzel.

But I see what you were getting at now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
That's because a few hours before that review was written, I've already made a blog about converting with rasterfarian: http://hightech.afmag.net/converting...ser-combo.html with a link. And because rasterfarian doesn't have a homepage of it's own, only forum topics, I'd rather not make a link in other articles. It's better if the user do a search to get the latest version.
That's a good point, perhaps the Rasterfarian product should have a Wiki page that could serve as a main linking point, it's certainly overdue for one.

And it sounds like your review is still a work in progress, so a few rough spots here and there are just part of the process.

Any volunteers for making that RasterFarian Wiki page? (hint, hint)
Advert
Old 06-30-2007, 01:22 PM   #21
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Athlonkmf - Please don't take any offense at my posts, I know it's difficult to interpret tone via online discussions and whatnot, I was simply making a statement about clarification of sources et al. Regardless of whether or not you think someone knows you're giving the appropriate credit or not, others may see this. I too, have used Rasterfarian quite extensively since Alex first released it and received the desired results to my satisfaction, without having to tweak things myself outside of an aberant PDF or two.

Actually, I think it's great that someone is taking time to write reviews/blogs on how to get the content they like most on the platform of their choice. I, for one, would have greatly appreciated this resource when I first entered the scene. Just a little after my first post (after about a month vacation) last night, I noticed that you had several posts relating to some tweaks you've done to get the results you desire, and I thought it was great that you were sharing with others. Hopefully you'll contribute your tutorials to the Reader conversion wiki so others will be able to find these resources easier than having to scour the Internet.

While I'd like to check out the other link you've posted, apparently the site is having some issues as I couldn't access it as of yet. Guess I'll try later.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #22
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Athlonkmf - Please don't take any offense at my posts, I know it's difficult to interpret tone via online discussions and whatnot, I was simply making a statement about clarification of sources et al. Regardless of whether or not you think someone knows you're giving the appropriate credit or not, others may see this. I too, have used Rasterfarian quite extensively since Alex first released it and received the desired results to my satisfaction, without having to tweak things myself outside of an aberant PDF or two.

Actually, I think it's great that someone is taking time to write reviews/blogs on how to get the content they like most on the platform of their choice. I, for one, would have greatly appreciated this resource when I first entered the scene. Just a little after my first post (after about a month vacation) last night, I noticed that you had several posts relating to some tweaks you've done to get the results you desire, and I thought it was great that you were sharing with others. Hopefully you'll contribute your tutorials to the Reader conversion wiki so others will be able to find these resources easier than having to scour the Internet.

While I'd like to check out the other link you've posted, apparently the site is having some issues as I couldn't access it as of yet. Guess I'll try later.
no offense taken, i just had to explain anyway. I was also under assumption that when blogging, and there are no "fixed" URLs then they should not be posted.

There is a delay on tutorials and such, but there certainly will be new tutorials for those in need. Just hope they get decent exposure.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist

Dunno about other places, but the URLs around here are pretty static -- I haven't seen one drift in more than a year. As long as you don't try to link to something via the front page, you should be good.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #24
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Just make sure you use the # link in the top right corner of the post, and the link should stay valid even if the thead is moved/split/merged. (On other forums, it's usually the leaf icon like top left here.)
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:26 AM   #25
athlonkmf
Guru

no no, what I mean with static is, is that it's the actual homepage of the maker where the newest version is always available so I don't have to do some kind of version control myself.. If there's none, it's better to let people use google.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:15 AM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist

Ah, yes, that is a stickier proposition.