Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
transfering a book onto an iPhone

Hi,

I don't have an iPhone, I have an iPad. My friend has an iPhone with OS3 and we don't have the ability to plug it into her home computer to sync, as she's visiting me on holiday.

We installed Stanza onto her iPhone and then dropbox and tried to add an ebook from my dropbox onto her iPhone. However, it didn't work :-( There's no "open with" option in iPhone's dropbox.

How can I, using just the internet, get an epub into Stanza?

Thanks!
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I have a 3G iPhone and an iPad... here is a lame work around, but it does work....

Open Dropbox on the iPhone. Open the book you want to send to Stanza. Tap the link symbol in the bottom left of Dropbox. Tap "copy link to clipboard". Close Dropbox

Now open Stanza. Tap "get books" on the bottom menu. Tap "edit" and then "add book source". In the dialogue just give it a name (perhaps of the book) and then past the URL you got from dropbox. Tap and and then done. Now tap your new source, and you will be prompted to download the book.

Like I said, lame, but it will work
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

awesome and that works for epubs?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Just a note: Dropbox and Stanza will support "Open With" on iPhones but only if iOS4 is installed, since that's when the feature was introduced for iPhones.

Pads have it out of the box, of course.

Last edited by dwharrison; 07-26-2010 at 12:18 PM.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwharrison View Post
Just a note: Dropbox and Stanza will support "Open With" on iPhones but only if iOS4 is installed, since that's when the feature was introduced for iPhones.

Pads have it out of the box, of course.

Good point... I have an iPhone 3G and do not wish to upgrade (It would be even slower, it's jailbroken for tethering to iPad...etc.)

And with the iPad, Dropbox is now my way of choice for getting books and other docs on it...
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
omro
Addict

That's good to know, my friend would be a little freaked out if I said to her - hey the only way I can get these books onto your phone is for me to upgrade the core OS while you're away from your computer and unable to back anything up. I can't really see that going down.

Are there any alternative routes other than the dropbox method outlined above?

I love Dropbox btw, it's my fave iPad transfer method behind Files HD, which I'm soooo glad I bought at the intro price. It's really useful.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard

What's wrong with the above? Didn't it work for you?
Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
omro
Addict

No, I haven't had time to try it, I'm at work and she's off out and about, but I want a backup incase that fails!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard

It won't fail

It works on my old iPhone 3G with OS3 with no problems.... The only thing is you can only do one book at a time. Another way is if you have web space (I have my own domain and use it for books for my daughter) you can upload books to a directory... and type in the URL for that directory in the "add book source" part to my guide above....That way all books show up in that directory and you can download them. Also you might try putting books in the "public" folder in Dropbox, and then putting that URL in the "add book source" in Stanza.... I bet it would work....
Old 07-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #10
omro
Addict

Had a brainwave and tried it via the iPad, it works fine using dropbox, stanza and the copy link suggestion :-) Thanks!