Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
End of the experiment

After a month of carrying the Sony Reader in via bus, train and tube, I have reverted to iPhone only. While the Sony reading experience is better on the whole (the page is larger etc) the rest of the experience is less so. It is another device to carry, and it requires stowing in something when not in use, I can't just drop it into a pocket. The library management is reasonable, and I can navigate fairly easily around my collection of 800 books, but the eInk display is suboptimal for viewing cover art, and the process is just fractionally too slow to be comfortable. In contrast Stanza on the iPhone is pretty snappy (although I have considerably less than 800 books loaded) and cover art looks splendid. This is, of course, a minor consideration and separate to actually reading a book, but an area where the iPhones screen is clearly superior. Also, since getting the Sony I have used the excellent tools from Mobileread folk to make my library available to Stanza via OPDS and DropBox so that I can browse the entire collection from anywhere without having to have them all on the iPhone.

Note that these comments apply to using the device while commuting in London, which is a pretty hostile environment. For an extended read at home, or on a long flight (not that I do them much anymore) the Sony is a good thing to have.

So in summary, for me (just me) the Sony is a nice device, but the advantages are not compelling enough to carry it on my daily commute, compared to the ubiquity and extreme portability of the iPhone.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If your main reading is done while commuting, then I completely understand your decision. Reading at home is a completely different experience to reading on the Tube!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Same experience for me, but reading at home is a different experience. I really think a lot of it has to do with being male, and not carrying a handbag. To my wife, it is no big deal to have her reader with her at all times. To me, my iPhone is a much better portable and on the go solution.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
Berylmary
Enthusiast
Berylmary began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, iPod Touch 3G, Sony PRS600, iPhone 3Gs
Bookeen Opus fits in my handbag better than the Sony's. It also fits in my anorak pocket.

iPod touch is much more portable but I can't put my DRM protected books on it so I am reading free books, of which there are many, when out and about.
Berylmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I take the bus and metro back and forth to work every day (almost an hour each way). And I couldn't imagine not having my Reader. I have an Ipod Touch ( which i have tried out as an ereader) but I wouldn't want to stare at that screen for very long and in order to make the text large enough to read I would have to be constantly scrolling.

And I simply don't view covers are being that important. I'm only going to look at it for a second anyway. And since I have my briefcase with me anyway, its hardly an extra burden.
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
To each his own - I fit around 80% of the text on an iPhone page that would fit on the Sony, so I am not paging much more, and the iPhone screen doesn't bother me at all. And if I leave the Sony at home I don't have to carry a bag, just wallet and iPhone. Easy equation for me...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:34 AM   #7
Starka
Anything BUT "Enthusiast"
Starka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 900BC
Why not just carry a book?

I must confess that my experiment with an e-reader is decidedly negative.
Starka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starka View Post
Why not just carry a book?

I must confess that my experiment with an e-reader is decidedly negative.
Then you should sell (or return) your reader. Any technology is not for everyone, nothing wrong if ereaders are not a fit for you.

I have not bought a paper book in 10 years. I am visually impaired, and if not for ebooks, I would not be able to read. Adjustable font sizes, back lighting and portability are awesome to me
Old 02-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #9
Starka
Anything BUT "Enthusiast"
Starka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 900BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Then you should sell (or return) your reader. Any technology is not for everyone, nothing wrong if ereaders are not a fit for you.

I have not bought a paper book in 10 years. I am visually impaired, and if not for ebooks, I would not be able to read. Adjustable font sizes, back lighting and portability are awesome to me
Clearly, for your situation the e-reader is a God-send.

I got an e-reader as a Christmas gift, and try as I might, I can't understand the allure of the device. Added to the mix is the fact that I've had technical problems with my reader, and Sony's help/support (or lack thereof) hasn't done a thing to improve my opinion.

As an aside, I have another Sony device with problems which sadly has led me to equate "Sony" with another four letter word beginning with "S".
Starka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
I really think a lot of it has to do with being male, and not carrying a handbag. To my wife, it is no big deal to have her reader with her at all times.
This.

I always carry a purse, therefore I always have room for my Reader, as well as anything my husband thinks he needs to bring along that won't fit in his pockets.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:49 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
I always carry a purse, therefore I always have room for my Reader, as well as anything my husband thinks he needs to bring along that won't fit in his pockets.
Very true. Sometimes I intentionally use a smaller bag so my husband won't do this!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I've just got to out me here. I bought a really small messenger bag last saturday (I wanted to replace the one I use for going to work). Due to the grey color and the print, it doesn't acutally look like a purse when worn by me. If my wife would wear it, I would say that it very much looks like a purse
In the end, I think it is one, but it fits my needs and doesn't look too bad when I lug it around.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sure, go ahead and read on your iPhone. Just remember, that you may not have enough battery for actually phone calls.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starka View Post
Clearly, for your situation the e-reader is a God-send.

I got an e-reader as a Christmas gift, and try as I might, I can't understand the allure of the device. Added to the mix is the fact that I've had technical problems with my reader, and Sony's help/support (or lack thereof) hasn't done a thing to improve my opinion.

As an aside, I have another Sony device with problems which sadly has led me to equate "Sony" with another four letter word beginning with "S".
I of course don't know all the issues with your reader, but I can tell you that Sony software in general is ...er.... poop. That's why I didn't even bother installing the Sony reader software on my computer. I do audio work, and have tried and tried to use Sony's Acid software. If it worked it would be great, but it is without a doubt the buggiest software in the audio world. It is not just crashes, things just simply don't work. They come out with updates, and the same bugs are there as before (some have been in the software for years). It truly amazes me how they can release such screwed up software.... In general though I find their hardware to be okay. They don't seem to have higher rates of failure that other companies, at least in products that I have owned....
Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 PM   #15
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sure, go ahead and read on your iPhone. Just remember, that you may not have enough battery for actually phone calls.
And that is my REAL complaint of reading on my iPhone. I can get past the small screen, because it is so clear and bright. But at the end of the day if I want to read a few hours (after using the phone through the day) , forget it....