Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Incredibly poor Terry Pratchett Epub offering

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal" at WHSmith. I was really surprised at the very low quality of the file. I'm not talking a few mistakes here and there, I'm talking of at least one mispelling or quote mark missing every other page. Some of the mispellings were so big as to make the sentence almost unreadable, so I assume no one has proof read it. Worst, the hero's name, "Lipwig", comes out as two words ("Lip wig") half the time.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem with other Pratchett's books, as I was looking forward purchasing more?

Cheers,

Alfy.
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i don't know specifically about pratchett's books, but there have been many complaints about poor formatting / errors in the text of ebooks.

the usual suggestion is to write to the bookstore and the publisher, politely pointing out the poor quality of the text, and asking whether they could fix it.

the book store can't do anything about the text however they can contact the publisher directly, and give you the updated text if there is one.

i don't know how often this happens but i do know that L'élégance du hérisson had a lot of errors, and the publisher corrected them and published a new version, and everyone who had bought the book was able to upgrade for free.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Many eBooks appear to be scanned from printed versions, and are full of obvious OCR errors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Many eBooks appear to be scanned from printed versions, and are full of obvious OCR errors.
That is so bizarre. Considering that all modern books would be printed from digital versions I wonder why ebook publishers have to resort to this.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've been reading the Discworld series from Mobipocket editions (converted to LRF for my 505) and I'm up to Small Gods and I've found them to be in good form. But I've not yet gotten to Going Postal. Could be that one is just bad. Dunno.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem with other Pratchett's books, as I was looking forward purchasing more?
I have the LIT edition of Going Postal and a few other of Pratchett's novels, but my experience has been the opposite -- I've been impressed with the quality of the formatting vs. what one finds in e-books in general. In fact, the only typo in them I can recall finding was one in Monstrous Regiment which I confirmed via Google Books appears in the print edition as well!

No idea why the EPUB edition would be bad... Oh, of course, I'm buying the US e-book editions. I assume this is a UK edition? Anyone bought UK editions in other formats?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed it's a UK edition (purchased at WHSmith). Oh well, I guess it's just bad luck, I'll try getting my next books from the US then.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:48 AM   #8
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is EXACTLY what it looks like. Very surprising they haven't even proofread the book once...
Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 AM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I've had a couple of books with obvious errors in them, I didn't realise that it might be OCR errors from the publisher simply scanning it in Considering they were bought e-books they should have been more thoroughly checked.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #10
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-16-2010 at 04:16 AM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
TP is a huge geek and has probably been submitting electronic texts
But this text is not the final version and the final version probably does not exist in electronical form.

And it would not surprise me if the US and UK version of an ebook is scanned from different sources and treated different with respect to proof reading.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 AM   #12
tibiafry
Enthusiast
tibiafry has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Iliad
Hello, as a publisher (not that publisher, tough, lol) I'd like to say that we don't have allways the electronic material of the book, and thus it's impossible sometimes to convert the format, and you just have to OCR it.

But, on the other hand, it is the duty of the publisher to correct the OCR. I'm with all of you.
tibiafry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i think you should definitely write to the bookshop and the publisher to express your disappointment. if you are lucky, the publisher might correct the book and give you a better version.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
whsmith are probably still just learning this game; especially if their high(ish) prices are anything to go by.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #15
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure

Well, I did indeed write to WHSmith, and here is the answer I got:
Thank you for your recent email.

I am sorry to learn of the poor quality of this product.

I will look in to this matter and report it to the relevant department so that it can be reviewed.

As this would've been downloaded from a third party site you would need to contact them directly to arrange it to be re-downloaded.

Kind Regards

Customer Service Coordinator
Happy to learn they will look into it, no so happy a redownload is not guaranteed should the problem be corrected. Oh well...