Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
StirlingEditor
StirlingEditor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Is an epub designed for Nook viewable on iPad

I've designed two epubs of my novel. One coded specifically for Nook and one specifically coded for iPad (this one required a lot of specialized html coding to get around bugs and errors specific to iBooks). I'm trying to explain to someone that they are not interchangeable, that the special coding I did to get photos to be centered in iBooks won't look the same if you view the same epub file on a Nook device. That sort of thing. Neither of us own an iPad or Nook, so it's hard to tell.

Can someone verify this for me or prove me wrong?

Last edited by StirlingEditor; 10-05-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling error =)
StirlingEditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
Larken
Where's the backlight??
Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and Kobo Glo HD
My wife and I have viewed the same epub file on both a Nook and an iPad. My epub files have no DRM though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I don't know if you buy a book from B&N and put it on an iPad if it would be viewable or not.
Larken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
StirlingEditor
StirlingEditor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larken View Post
My wife and I have viewed the same epub file on both a Nook and an iPad. My epub files have no DRM though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. I don't know if you buy a book from B&N and put it on an iPad if it would be viewable or not.
These are both DRM free epub files that I've created so it isn't so much an issue of being able to access the files on either device. Rather, I'm wondering if y'all have noticed that the formatting on DRM-free sideloaded epub made for iBooks is wonky when viewed on a Nook and vice versa.
StirlingEditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
With the very small experience that I've had of viewing my ePub files (that I primarily use on my Nook) with iBooks on my iPod, they looked the same.
Ubermensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Nook Classic and iPad are my two primary readers and books look pretty much the same on both, depending on my font settings and so forth across the devices.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
ePubs are scalable - They are not designed to be viewed on any particular device or screen, unlike PDF files. The screen size doesn't matter, and the formatting should be the same. The fact iBooks is terrible at ePub files is a seperate issue... Really, it's an argument over whether an ePub designed for any device is viewable in iBooks without hackery.

On the iPad, chances are that ePub would look fine in any third-party reader.

Last edited by dorino; 10-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ibooks, ipad, nook