Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #76
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I have an astigmatism and I know from experience that with an uncorrected astigmatism, reading anything for an extended period will cause eye strain, paper, eink, LCD, CRT, or smoke signals in the sky.

Even paper print has a variety of quality levels. Look at the difference between a glossy magazine and a cheap paperback (especially one from the 1950's). If you look at my reading devices you'll notice quite a variety (mainly because I'm a gadget freak). There are times and situations when each of my devices hold superiority over all the rest but none holds superiority in all situations.

I'm retired now and read a great deal. With eink, my eyes begin to tear a lot toward the end of the day. Ereaders of any (quality) type are better for me because I can adjust the font size for the light conditions and how tired my eyes are.

I love my NC. I also love my Astek EZ Reader (an eink device) with OpeninkPot firmware. Sometimes I read on my PDA or my Droid (partly because of the back light but mostly because they fit better in my pocket and therefore travel better. (I've decided to not carry a purse because my wife would laugh at me. ) For me these two ereaders (with either my PDA or Droid) make the best ereader.

One great reason for the NC though is that when rooted it also functions as a pretty good tablet PC (and will get me by until my real tablet PC - a Notion Ink Adam - gets here, at which time I'll have yet another gadget --- ain't technology great -- but costly).

For me, one reason that LCDs cause eye strain is when the brightness is set too high. I read my NC with its brightness set very low and with the night mode on. So far it seems to cause less eye strain (for me) than the eink display unless I try to read it in bright sunlight.

So bottom line, we each should find the best solution (as we each determine what best is) for ourselves. I'm just glad there are so many people here who can help us in finding data for making that decision.

Last edited by slayda; 12-21-2010 at 09:32 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #77
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerblock View Post
I'm happy you like your NC (as I do mine) but I felt that there was a bit of inconsistency in your post, maybe because you're in the "in love" stage with your NC. I'm a gadget person so I totally get exuberant about my new toys as well, so please don't think I'm trying to judge you etc..and of course I could be totally wrong...onto my points:

snip as this is too long to quote....
Nook Color pixel density = 169 PPI
e-ink Nook pixel density = 167 PPI

So I stand corrected practically if not technically, that isn't going to be a noticable difference. However with the 1.5 update the e-ink Nook font is certainly not smooth, it is rather blocky. Your sony is 200 PPI but that is not what I was comparing.

Yes, the Nook Color is not good in bright light. I was making an assumption that you would understand that my reading is mostly at night in dim lighting. Also it is not perfect and in fact I stated I prefer the look of e-ink. I am saying that in my opinion and for my reading habits it is well worth the extra money over the e-ink Nook.

My other points are directly related to the study that jocampo posted and what it stated as the causes for fatigue. Unless you can provide a comparison of large company employees reading off of e-ink monitors (which I don't believe even exist) vs lcd with the same PPI, your example doesn't really show anything. Your personal experience is your personal experience and I won't dispute that BUT again you are not comparing the same devices as I was.

I guess my point is that I am simply attempting to explain why people may have different experiences based on the studies, medical science, and facts available rather than the subjective opinions, assumptions, and conjecture that most people are using.

Last edited by pl001; 12-22-2010 at 10:46 AM.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert