Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
larryt
Enthusiast
larryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo
Same page, multiple fonts?

I was enjoying Lord of the Rings until today when I downloaded the new software upgrade. Now every 2 or 3 pages the font will change, for a paragraph or two, and becomes so small it's almost unreadable, at least for me. Then back to normal and on and on. I've tried changing fonts, spacing, margins, etc. No luck. Anybody know what's going on?
larryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I haven't seen that except where it is deliberate. ie. The ebook creator decided to change fonts or size for some reason. If it is happening like you say, then it probably means the ebook code is broken in some way. Without seeing the actual ebook, I can't make any other suggestion.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is this the fixed Lord of the Rings or the full of errors Lord of the Rings?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Where did you get the ebook from? Is it epub or kepub (sideloaded or Kobo)?
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
larryt
Enthusiast
larryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-bookslarryt has learned how to read e-books

"Is this the fixed Lord of the Rings or the full of errors Lord of the Rings?"
I had no idea there were 2 versions.

"Where did you get the ebook from? Is it epub or kepub (sideloaded or Kobo)?"
I got the book from the Kobo store - epub.
Advert
Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Can you share page #'s where you are seeing this, and also what font settings you are using..
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
larryt
Enthusiast

Hi Peter - I tried 3 different fonts - default of Verandi, TimesRoman and currently Avenir, justification Off. Some of the pages are: The Two Towers, Chapter 3: The Uruk-Hai, page 25, 'Neither Pippin or Merry remembered much of the later part of the journey.'
Page 33 'The Isengarders seized Merry and Pippin again and slung the on their backs.'
Page 35 'They will make it yet. They will escape,'
Page 38 'Night came down without the Riders closing in for battle'

And on and on it goes.

I just noticed that it appears the same way on my desktop viewing it on my PC so its not confined just to my KT

Last edited by larryt; 08-03-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I;ve just looked at The Two Towers, Chapter 3: The Uruk-Hai, page 25, 'Neither Pippin or Merry remembered much of the later part of the journey.' in my ePyb version and see no font issues in ADE.

However; viewing the kEpub version (ie in Kobo Desktop) I do see the exact same issue as you do.

This is something to pass on to the Kobo Content team...
Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't get this need for kePub. Just fix the firmware that ePub is ePub and all the features work with it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #10
larryt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't get this need for kePub. Just fix the firmware that ePub is ePub and all the features work with it.
I don't quite understand what you mean. I purchased the book from the Kobo Bookstore and downloaded it in ePub to my Kobo Touch?

Last edited by larryt; 08-03-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

@JSWolf: The kEpub format exists to allow Kobo to sell to and support people on a wide range of devices; devices for which there was not the ability to support the ADE mobile infrastructure.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@JSWolf: The kEpub format exists to allow Kobo to sell to and support people on a wide range of devices; devices for which there was not the ability to support the ADE mobile infrastructure.

There was never any need to completely alter the formats of books for that. Kobo could have remained with the same Epub as everyone else. Kepub exists to support the Kobo custom formating options by using a custom css and custom javascript that interacts with the Kobo software, (rather than trying to brute force override publisher css as is done with epubs.) (We had a chance to have a good look at what 'kobization' involves when Kobo made misced meat out of several books that were offered as the Adobe Download.)

I would not want to be the one to call whether or not the Kepub changes have been a good or bad thing. It's easy to pick errors out of the crowd, but publisher supplied epubs aren't known for the their uniform quality either. However, it does cause a lot of confusion when Kobo supplies 2 different versions of the same book depending on how it was transfered to a device, and Kobo support is completely, painfully, clueless, if you have to deal with an oops.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
larryt
Enthusiast

So being 70 years old and not having a clue what everyone is talking about, where exactly does that leave me? Is this a Kobo problem that I should report, can I fix it?
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryt View Post
So being 70 years old and not having a clue what everyone is talking about, where exactly does that leave me? Is this a Kobo problem that I should report, can I fix it?
You should report it, but you can also fix it, with a bit of work. You would have to install something called Adobe Digital Editions on your computer. Then go to the kobobooks website and "Download" the book. That should open Adobe Digital Editions and the book should download into it. Once there, you can connect your Kobo and drag the book from ADE to the Kobo. I'm sorry if the explanation is not very clear.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
larryt
Enthusiast

rashkae - thank you very much. I followed your instructions and everything appears to be back to normal. Now I can once again sit down for an enjoyable read.