Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #16
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Public domain works are free to share, and plenty of places charge for them.

There's no contradiction between "cost is X" and "you're allowed to copy & distribute it for free if you want." It means that someone could, presumably, acquire it without paying if they looked around a bit first. But the author's not obligated to tell everyone there's a free version available, just like authors selling hardcovers aren't obligated to direct people to the paperback version or library editions of their books.
I didn't say it was a contradiction, I said it was not consistent. And I still don't think it's consistent. It's like buying your new fridge this week only to see it on special for half price the following week; there's nothing you can do about it, no one is doing anything that's illegal, but it doesn't stop you getting ####ed off about it either. I think it may be worth considering how such a marketing strategy may be interpreted by potential readers.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I didn't say it was a contradiction, I said it was not consistent. And I still don't think it's consistent. It's like buying your new fridge this week only to see it on special for half price the following week; there's nothing you can do about it, no one is doing anything that's illegal, but it doesn't stop you getting ####ed off about it either. I think it may be worth considering how such a marketing strategy may be interpreted by potential readers.
My book states within the first 10 pages that it's "free to share", and directs the reader to my web site for a sample of the work. (I have the GoodReads sample set to 100%, and would do the same with Amazon, but they don't give me the option to change the sample size.) I also clearly state on both my website and my signature tag how to receive a free copy of my work.

It is possible that someone will click "Buy!" on Amazon without previewing, but ultimately there's only so much I can do -- I can make the information available, but I can't make the reader read the information before buying.

If I could do the "set your own price" that Smashwords offers and still be included in the premium catalog for feed to the stores, I would, but Amazon et. al. do not offer that as a buying option. So ultimately I had to either limit my donations to people who can use Paypal or pick a price and try to put as much information about the situation out there as I could.

I'm pretty sure that Amazon et. al. provide refund services for people unhappy with their purchase for whatever reason -- at least, I know Amazon does.

I'm not sure how to be any more consistent or free from contradiction.

Last edited by anamardoll; 03-26-2012 at 09:26 AM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 04:24 AM   #18
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Forgive my ignorance here, because I don't have any experience with Smashwords, but do with Amazon. Amazon was so easy to use that I thought I had left something off.

I know that Smashwords contribute to Amazon and B&N etc, so my question is:

Do the publishers they contribute to require this copyright statement and can you upload to the other publishers yourself directly?

Sorry, my two main questions are....
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Nemo View Post
Do the publishers they contribute to require this copyright statement and can you upload to the other publishers yourself directly?
I've uploaded to Amazon, B&N, and Google directly without any of them having issues with my copyright statement as is.

I *did* receive a very nice email back from Smashwords saying that I don't need that notice. But the thing they say I am missing -- "Smashwords Edition" -- is already in my book exactly where they asked for it to be. So I sent them a follow-up question. *crosses fingers*
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
David.Niall.Wils
Author & Digital Publishe
David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm frankly a little confused why you would take issue with Smashwords over this, even if they DID require the notice. They are a distribution service, and they have to make money, so, if the product is (basically) free as long as you can find someone who bought it first that will give it to you - you are basically only offering to pay Smashwords for whichever copies people are actually willing to buy, rather than get your book for free.

For their premium services (services that they no doubt have costs associated with providing) it's only common sense that they would want the products they are distributing to make a return - for them, *and* for their partners.

The Smashwords Edition statement has to be exact. "Smashwords Edition published at Smashwords by (username or press)" and on the copyright page.
David.Niall.Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #21
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Niall.Wils View Post
I'm frankly a little confused why you would take issue with Smashwords over this, even if they DID require the notice.
Seriously? You don't understand why an author would be concerned about the distributer demanding changes to the content?

Anyway, according to their CS:

Quote:
No need to include the Smashwords Edition license notes, but we do need you to include on the title/copyright page: either (1) Smashwords Edition, or (2) Published by Ana Mardoll on Smashwords
The Title Page does contain the words "Smashwords Edition", though, hence the request for more information.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I do not add their notice to any of mine. All you should need is "Smashwords Edition, which you have.

Mine have "Copyright 2012 John H. Carroll" and it is sufficient. I can't stand that notice they want you to put on either.

As far as why it wasn't accepted, it could be a tiny metadata or table of content issue. It's hard to tell. They don't seem to be good with giving reasons for refusal lately.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #23
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I've uploaded to Amazon, B&N, and Google directly without any of them having issues with my copyright statement as is.

I *did* receive a very nice email back from Smashwords saying that I don't need that notice. But the thing they say I am missing -- "Smashwords Edition" -- is already in my book exactly where they asked for it to be. So I sent them a follow-up question. *crosses fingers*

Good, so you can do what you want with you license. The other thing is, do you have a "copyright" statement in place? I think the computer tool looks for that keyword.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #24
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Good, so you can do what you want with you license. The other thing is, do you have a "copyright" statement in place? I think the computer tool looks for that keyword.
I do! It's so bizarre.

(I'd link everyone to the "view html" version on Smashwords, but it would probably get removed as self-promotion. But I really do, I swear. )
Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
I do! It's so bizarre.

(I'd link everyone to the "view html" version on Smashwords, but it would probably get removed as self-promotion. But I really do, I swear. )
Well, I guess just wait to see what they say now.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Can you give me an idea of what you think a good copyright notice should look like?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #27
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Can you give me an idea of what you think a good copyright notice should look like?
"Copyright 2012 John H. Carroll" is all you need (your name of course, lol)

Copyright laws cover all the details and protect you. It's wise to register the copyright. It also gets more complicated if you want to give away or sell some of them.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #28
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:

Its not me, its their automated check... so who knows what little stray character made it fail.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 AM   #29
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
"Copyright 2012 John H. Carroll" is all you need (your name of course, lol)

Copyright laws cover all the details and protect you. It's wise to register the copyright. It also gets more complicated if you want to give away or sell some of them.
Now listen, if you think I'm going to put your name on my work, you are very much confused... or is that me?

I've seen other stuff about public use etc, so apart from that what else could Smashwords need?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #30
David.Niall.Wils
Author & Digital Publishe
David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's actually not even the copyright that seems to be at issue here...it's the usage notice. I've published about 350 e-Books by a lot of authors...distributors have requirements like any other business...you don't like their requirements, you do business elsewhere.
David.Niall.Wils is offline   Reply With Quote