Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmelra View Post
Thanks DNSB. I must admit I didn't really followed all you have done with the original file but the results look just great!
I wonder if there is a way to trigger the Kobo's EPUB3 renderer on the original file.
You can try renaming it to .kepub.epub rather than .epub. This triggers using the Kobo renderer which supports quite a few ePub3 features including the text direction and hebrew directives. There are some issues with doing this such as cover image settings. Most of them are covered in various threads in this forum.

The other change I made were removing the fonts and placing them in the fonts directory on my Kobo so they would be available without needing to place them in every ebook. This also made them available for the TOC, book title display, etc.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-11-2013 at 03:19 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #17
baggins
baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
The real question is where do you find Hebrew epub books.
There's only one online store that I know of that sells Hebrew epubs, and they have a meagre selection.
baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #18
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggins View Post
The real question is where do you find Hebrew epub books.
There's only one online store that I know of that sells Hebrew epubs, and they have a meagre selection.
Going by the advertisement at the bottom of his message:

Hebrew eBooks at Mendele HeBooks
http://www.mendele.co.il

I can't for some strange reason read most of the contents of the site but it does look as if they are selling Hebrew ebooks -- the little shopping cart is a pretty good hint.

Regards,
David
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #19
baggins
baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Indeed, that's the one online store with the meagre selection I was talking about.
baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 AM   #20
Haelu
Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi, I am trying to get arabic text on my Kobo Touch. After reading this thread, I tried inserting -
direction:rtl;unicode-bidi:embed; into the stylesheet for p. I also changed the filename to .kepub.epub, but it isn't working. the letters still appear left-right. I am new to sigil, but really want this to work. Can anyone help?
Haelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Haelu
Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.Haelu can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haelu View Post
Hi, I am trying to get arabic text on my Kobo Touch. After reading this thread, I tried inserting -
direction:rtl;unicode-bidi:embed; into the stylesheet for p. I also changed the filename to .kepub.epub, but it isn't working. the letters still appear left-right. I am new to sigil, but really want this to work. Can anyone help?
Also I tried the hebrew file and that has the same problem for me. ltr text. Is this possible on the Kobo Touch, or are you guys viewing on something else?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #22
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
You will definitely need to use .kepub.epub - simple epubs do not respect the direction.

The direction: rtl; css property seems to work for me, but I also set the xml:lang="ar" attribute for the
page. you also need to have a decent arabic supporting font on your reader (e.g. one of the PakType ones).

Try downloading my Epub feature peeker - that has some arabic pages in it.
A lot depends on what your e-reader settings are with respect to fonts.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I've attached an ePub3 test file from Azardi which has a couple of right to left languages in it. I added the Arial Unicode MS font from my Windows computer to the Kobo's fonts directory to be able to display a couple of the languages -- locate the font file in the Windows fonts directory, copy it to a fonts directory in the root of the Kobo's internal drive and rename it to Arial Unicode MS.ttf, power cycle your Kobo and then select it as the document font). Don't forget to power cycle your Kobo after adding the font file.

You can take a look at the styles in this file to see how they made it work.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: epub UDHR.kepub.epub (3.10 MB, 197 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 05-10-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
Haelu

scrap that last comment! It does indeed work. Calibre was converting the file back to normal epub lol, so i had to change it directly
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
scrap that last comment! It does indeed work. Calibre was converting the file back to normal epub lol, so i had to change it directly
Ahh... done in by the computer overlords!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #26
Haelu

Oh, I hit another problem. It only seems to work if the text is without vowel markers. As I am a beginner in arabic, I need these markers to read it. Unfortunately when they are added, they appear on the Kobo offset to the left by one character
Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #27
Haelu

ok this seems to be a font issue. each arabic font seems to have a different issue displaying full arabic properly
Old 05-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Oh, I hit another problem. It only seems to work if the text is without vowel markers. As I am a beginner in arabic, I need these markers to read it. Unfortunately when they are added, they appear on the Kobo offset to the left by one character
Great that you found a solution.

Still, can you send us a sample of your file and the name of the different font you tried ? It will be interesting to build a tester ebook.

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #29
Irina U.
Irina U. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
Hi

So I uploaded some arabic epubs and arabic fonts to my Kobo Glo, but they weren't used by the device - the text was displayed in squares. So then I added to the epub's file name the kepub extension and now the document only shows me the cover - nothing more, as if the document has only one page. Any ideas on how to solve this? My firmware is 3.1.0
Irina U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #30
Irina U.
Irina U. began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo N613
I re-opened the files and everything is working fine! I just need to find now a good Ar-En dictionary. Any help would be much appreciated
Irina U. is offline   Reply With Quote