Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
ayryq
ayryq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-950
light for naked 950?

I've been reading the dozens of threads about book lights on MR. What I can't find is someone with experience using a book light on a "naked" 950, or really any x50 model. Most people just seem to clip book lights to a case or cover.

The problem is the rather small area for clamping at the top or side of the Reader. A further problem with the 950 is the extra screen size which needs to be covered by the light.

It seems the popular Mighty Bright lights have a clip which is much too large for the current generation of Sony Readers.

Can anyone recommend a specific book light which
1) Can be clipped to the PRS-?50 without obstructing the screen, and
2) Fully illuminates the 7" screen on the 950?

Thanks in advance.
Eric
ayryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
I have had good luck with the Sony cover with the light built in, the light folds down when not in use and doesn't have to be clipped any where. You do have to position it just right to keep the light spot of the book but I have been playing with adding a diffuser to it, just a piece of tape over the light.

You can get at Amazon, look at the specs.
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
ayryq

Thank you, Maggie-Me, but I'm really looking for something to use with a naked (i.e. no cover) PRS-950.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
My favorite is the Belkin light . I usually clip it to the side, which works well for landscape or portrait mode reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Clip-Re.../dp/B003HKRVAW

I have no idea where my camera is, but I captured a frame from my FlipVideo to show you what it looks like attached to the PRS-950.

edit. Hmmmm. Evidently Flicker is smarter than me this morning, because I can't get the photo link to show the photo. I uploaded the same pic to Amazon, and it's showing in the customer photos for the item. Sorry about driving traffic to AMZN.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-me...newSort&page=0

Last edited by trekchick; 01-15-2011 at 09:55 AM. Reason: pic prob
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
ayryq

Nice picture, thanks for taking the trouble. I pulled the picture into this thread for others.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61pNOH2KwxL.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	64837  
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks for the picture, trekchick. I have seen the Belkin light at Target and wondered how well it worked. I've been using the Capstone eBook Lite from Target. It has an adjustable spring clip which has felt on the clip to help protect your ereader. The eBook Lite is similar to the Kandle that many use with the Kindle ereaders. It attaches to the top of your ereader. It has a high and low setting. Also the light part of it flips up and you can angle it to minimize glare from the lights and also to focus the light best on the screen for you. There is a $20 version in the electronics section and a $10 version in the regular book section with different product names, both by the same manufacturer Capstone. I have read posts that many people are using the cheaper option. I have the more expensive one.
http://www.capstoneindustries.com/ke...a&ProductID=84
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
simulacrum
Connoisseur
simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.simulacrum is faster than slow light.

You could always try joining The Borg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(S...Assimilation):

... sorry when I did a google image search for clip on lights and saw this image, I couldn't help myself.
simulacrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
ayryq

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulacrum View Post
You could always try joining The Borg[/url]
I guess I could get a piercing in the appropriate place so I'd have someplace to mount the light when wearing contact lenses.

Actually, though, I have seen other MRers mention that they use the ear-mounted version.

Maybe the guy in the picture should get together with this guy.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:21 PM   #9
ayryq

Thanks for all the tips. I bought the Capstone light mentioned above, the $20 version. The Target I visited actually had no book lights for "books" whatsoever, only the Belkin and the Capstone "ereader" lights. I've been satisfied with the Capstone so far, once I get it adjusted to light the whole screen without glare. The problem actually is the top inch or so, which can be in the shadow of the battery case if the light isn't adjusted correctly.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
So you decided not to be assimilated into the Borg?

Thanks for reporting back what you selected. At least Target has a good return policy. If you decide you don't like it, then you can return it for the other one.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by simulacrum View Post
You could always try joining The Borg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(S...Assimilation):

... sorry when I did a google image search for clip on lights and saw this image, I couldn't help myself.
They are rather poor for use with readers. I tried one with my old 505 and it was awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best light for the 950 is the light built into the light cover. Also, it's a rather good idea not to use your 950 naked. Naked leads to less protection and less protection can lead to more damage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Thanks, trekchik, for the photo of the Belkin light attached to the PRS-950. Am I correct in thinking that if the light were attached to the top rather than the side, it would overlap the screen somewhat? Does it slide closed, and does it stay on well? This light appeals to me because it seems marginally less obtrusive than what I am using now, since the battery pack is located on the back of the ereader when in place.

In answer to the original post:currently I am using a Mighty Bright XtraFlex2, which both overlaps the screen just a bit when attached at the top, and slips (tilts) sometimes if I move my hand/arm too swiftly. This is true for the K3 and PRS-950. This light does, however, light the screen very well, and has both a high and a low setting.

ETA: I bought the Belkin light and find it works well when attached to the top of the PRS-950. It is possible to attach it in such a way that does not overlap the screen. It is somewhat less bright than the Mighty Bright, but I don't mind that, as sometimes the MB seems *too* bright. It illuminates the whole screen, and the silicone (?) pads (and the larger, flatter contact area in comparison to the MB) in the clamp prevent it from tilting when I move the reader. I also use it on a PRS-650, and while it is more difficult to place it on the much thinner frame so that it won't cover part of the screen, it is possible.

Last edited by redbees; 01-30-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: update
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
In answer to the original post:currently I am using a Mighty Bright XtraFlex2, which both overlaps the screen just a bit when attached at the top, and slips (tilts) sometimes if I move my hand/arm too swiftly. This is true for the K3 and PRS-950. This light does, however, light the screen very well, and has both a high and a low setting.

I was just about to post almost the same thing...

I've been using the XtraFlex2 clipped to the top right-hand corner without any real (troublesome) overlap. It works fine for me and stays pretty stable with the exception of quick movements mentioned above.

This is just temporary though as the light arrived before my cover did...
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbees View Post
Thanks, trekchik, for the photo of the Belkin light attached to the PRS-950. Am I correct in thinking that if the light were attached to the top rather than the side, it would overlap the screen somewhat? Does it slide closed, and does it stay on well? This light appeals to me because it seems marginally less obtrusive than what [I] am using now, since the battery pack is located on the back of the ereader when in place...
It doesn't really overlap when positioned at the top, I just stick it on the side out of habit. I also use this light with my Kindle DX, and side placement works best to evenly illuminate its ginormous screen. The PRS-950 is smaller, and top placement works just as well.

The inside (back and clip) are padded with silicone (or some other grippy and slightly squishy material). Between the pads and the spring-loaded clip, I've found the light to be very secure on these devices: PRS-350, PRS-950, Kindle2, Kindle DX. I thought the light was too loose for the Kindle 3 (it stayed on, but wobbled when I shifted positions).

For storage, the light tucks into the clip and the neck makes a loop above the battery pack.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote