Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
NineToTheSky
NineToTheSky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
For me, the Kindle 3 falls at the first hurdle

While waiting for my Kindle to be delivered, I installed the app on my phone and laptop. I was (and am) very impressed with all aspects of it - even how readable it is on 3.7" screen.

I've had my Kindle delivered, and in one crucial aspect, I'm very disappointed: readability. Yes, the text is crystal clear, but the background/'page' is a sludgy very pale grey. A page of a 'real' book is much brighter, and the contrast between the page colour and text makes the text more 'visible'. There are situations where I can read a book comfortably, but not the Kindle.

I haven't seen any comments on this apect of the Kindle. Have I got a faulty one, or is it just me?
NineToTheSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineToTheSky View Post
I haven't seen any comments on this apect of the Kindle. Have I got a faulty one, or is it just me?
All eInk screens have a light grey background. Have you not seen one before?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
GlassX
Connoisseur
GlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notesGlassX can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Well, if you actually expected to be all white and shiny then you are right.
For me, this is not a problem. I find it very readable. Maybe it needs a bit more light from an external source, but apart from that I cannot say I had any problems.
Have you seen a Kindle screen before, just to compare it and be sure yours is OK?
GlassX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Yeah, I found this a little disappointing as well. It's like in the early days of the web, the default grey used by a lot of websites (heck, yahoo was that for years...)

Still, the thing is, other e-ink devices are apparently worse. More like dark grey on a medium-ish grey rather than black on light grey.

But as the above poster said, you just need a little more light to read. Kind of like a newspaper, or a cheap paperback that uses slightly grey paper.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
NineToTheSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All eInk screens have a light grey background. Have you not seen one before?
No, I haven't.
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I first saw an e-ink screen on a Sony 505 at Target and was very impressed....still am in fact as far as readability in most situations, particularly bright (outdoor) light. It has trade-offs as does any technology.

Lately I've been using my phone (DroidX) for reading in the mornings (twilight) as I walk -- it is perfect for that where the Sony or Kindle would be useless (without a book light).
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
NineToTheSky

To add to my previous post, I haven't seen one because, out here in the sticks, no one stocks them, and I don't know anyone who owns one.

I'm tempted by one of the upcoming 7" tablets. The only thing holding me back is the shorter battery life and possible eye strain. Whichever I settle on, I appreciate that I will have to compromise.

I also want a device that allows me to read newspapers. I find the reduced content on newspapers for the Kindle rather disappointing.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree about the disappointment with the newspaper and magazine subscriptions on both Kindle and Sony. I'm hoping that the tablet (Android) devices and market will provide a much better (color, pics, formatting) experience.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #9
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
it's not white because of the glare. any way you put it spending a long time with your eyes staring at an electronic device they're bound to start feeling uncomfortable.

as far as i can tell, it's exactly the greyness of the background that makes the reading experience so effortless. that and the fact the balance of words per page is just right, not to many not too few.

actually, before getting the Kindle 3, i did not use the kindle app to read on my PC at all. i just couldn't. i did not consider it eye-friendly it was there just so i could buy the books.

as to the newspapers, realistically, you can't have such high expectations from a 6-inch screen. a more thorough research should have led you towards the DX or the I-pad, both pricier devices, but with the larger screens.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #10
NineToTheSky

It's not the size of the screen: reading newspapers on my smartphone isn't a bad experience. It's the heavily reduced content that I'm disappointed with. And when I say content, I'm talking about text; I'm not concerned about pictures.

You're right about the glare aspect. As I say, I expect I should adjust my expectations.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:37 AM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
it's not white because of the glare. ....
Uh, no.

It's just the nature of e-ink devices.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #12
NineToTheSky

One of the advantages of the Kindle app is that you have the ability to change the brightness, and the colour of the background, so you don't necessarily have to put up with glare.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post

as to the newspapers, realistically, you can't have such high expectations from a 6-inch screen. a more thorough research should have led you towards the DX or the I-pad, both pricier devices, but with the larger screens.

yes and no. Newspapers/mags/websites are fairly readable on my DroidX -- on a 6-9 inch device they would be great. Anything bigger and it becomes a burden to carry around (even 6" for that matter).
Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 AM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
yes and no. Newspapers/mags/websites are fairly readable on my DroidX -- on a 6-9 inch device they would be great. Anything bigger and it becomes a burden to carry around (even 6" for that matter).
I agree; when I was waiting for my Kindle 3, I had to use the iPad as an ereader and that was just too heavy sometimes. I liked it for the beautiful colours of newspapers, PDF's and magazine though (despite the glare).
But is was very distracting; instead of reading at night, I just kept browsing, reading my mail etc. Didn't sleep till very late (discipline?).
So now I end each day peacefully reading on the grey/pearl screen of my Kindle; just nice and quiet.
The pearl inkscreen is an improvement on previous inkscreens. But it's personal, I guess.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
it would appear that you assumed that you were going to be reading in a backlit screen such as a laptop or an ipad. as you have found that is incorrect. everyone else who has come into the kindle world as welcomed the soft grey background as being easy on their eyes
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote