Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Extra paragraph line when converting from LRF

I'm converting my files to Mobi, and I read on here that the chapter markers will not show in clibre, but will be fine on the Kindle.

My next question is, when I'm converting from LRF to Mobi, I get an extra paragraph line. So there is a line between every paragraph when there wasn't one there to begin with. This happens converting to Mobi, ePub, anything.

I don't want to force it to collapse the lines, I need paragraph spacing in some places where locations change etc.

It's driving me nuts! I'm going from Sony to Kindle, and really don't want to re-format all of my books after spending hours upon hours!

Thanks!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I don't want to force it to collapse the lines, I need paragraph spacing in some places where locations change etc.

It's driving me nuts! I'm going from Sony to Kindle, and really don't want to re-format all of my books after spending hours upon hours!
Your only option is to collapse the lines or reformat all of your books. LRF isn't a nice container for html like lit, mobi or epub. It is a proprietary format based on objects and the calibre conversion produces a very readable output. This is as good as it gets, the code in calibre is final and the odds are that it is not going to be updated.

As for reformatting:
  1. You can convert to ePub, check out the book in Sigil, adjust it, then convert to mobi.
  2. You can run the conversion with a directory listed in the debug section of the conversion options, then edit the initial input html in the html editor of your choice, and convert that html to mobi.
  3. You can learn to love the wonderful, functional, immensely readable books that are converted to mobi even with the formatting slightly askew.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-18-2010 at 06:48 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I had a feeling that was the case. The problem with me reading in things that aren't right, is it just gives me a HUGE headache. Looks like I'll be re-formatting my books. I'll just have to go through and note where the paragraph breaks are and re-do them in Sigil, go back to Calibre and convert to MOBI from there.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I had a feeling that was the case. The problem with me reading in things that aren't right, is it just gives me a HUGE headache. Looks like I'll be re-formatting my books. I'll just have to go through and note where the paragraph breaks are and re-do them in Sigil, go back to Calibre and convert to MOBI from there.
Personally since I am in my 50s and trying to avoid reading glasses I find it more comfortable to have the font size I prefer, indents on each paragraph and a single space between paragraphs. Beyond that I'm not too picky. Usually LRF files convert to that spec perfect every time. I just choose both Remove spacing between paragraphs and Insert blank line. I end up with uniform paragraphs with .5em margin on top and bottom and a nice 1.1em indent.

But my solution is an all or nothing type of solution. It definitely messes up scene breaks and chapter/heading spacing.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote