Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
software.enginee
software.enginee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle I , DX, BeBook
How do I mount Kindle DX rootfs on a Mac - usbNetwork needed?

Ok, I is an enga-neer, yet I do not see how to mount the rootfs of the Kindle to use all these cool hacks.

Do I need to enable usbNetwork to see the rootfs, or is there another way?

software.enginee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
What kind of hack are you talking about?
You'll need to enable usbnetwork and ssh onto your kindle box to access the rootfs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by software.enginee View Post
Ok, I is an enga-neer, yet I do not see how to mount the rootfs of the Kindle to use all these cool hacks.

DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:

What do you mean by mounting ?
You can't directly mount the Kindle /root partition on your mac

If you want to telnet or ssh into the kindle ; you'll need usbNetwork .

If you just want to mount the Kindle ; just plug it ; you'll see the /mnt/us kindle partition.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
software.enginee

Thanks - So I DO need to use usbNetworking. Then ...

Thanks,

The hacks I want to do require access to the rootfs.
So first I need to use usbNetwork.
Then how do I install SSH or does usbNetwork have that service.

I'm going to assume that usbNetwork has this service and play around again.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 01:21 AM   #5
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Thanks,

The hacks I want to do require access to the rootfs.
So first I need to use usbNetwork.
Then how do I install SSH or does usbNetwork have that service.

I'm going to assume that usbNetwork has this service and play around again.

Thanks
To be honnest, and I hope no offense will be taken, but if you are having trouble understanding the easiest part (usbnetwork) ; I seriously don't see how you would know how to mount the root drive to an external interface .. Which is far more complicated than usbnetwork could ever be.
Advert
Old 12-25-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
software.enginee

jyavenard - don't be a jerk

jyavenard wrote,
" To be honnest ... if you are having trouble understanding the easiest part (usbnetwork) ; I seriously don't see how you would know how to mount the root drive to an external interface."

Actually, I have a degree in software engineering. However, there is no reason to be a jerk. Another person answered the question without being judgmental. All I needed to know what that usbNetwork provides the services that I need. With that knowledge, I can take it to the next step and mount the volume I need.

I use forums to get a little help as most of the hacks start out with an assumption that the user HAS already mounted the rootfs. I just needed one item.

Having been a software engineer for three decades, there are LOTS of things I do not know. So sometimes I will ask newbie questions. Deal with it. Just provide me with a usable answer to my questions or cork it.

There is no need to add your doubt about my technical abilities to a forum post. You (and most people) really can NOT tell a person's technical abilities from a question.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:48 AM   #7
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Actually, I have a degree in software engineering.
Making a joke with my Nick, "the frog does not make the prince".

With this I mean tell you that if you aren't a very hardcore linux expert my advice is that you be quiet with your device or you are gaining points to brick your Kindle.

I'm an expert embedded developer with more than 20 years in embedded stuff, making things like "touching" Windows CE source code to get the things working, and a reputable C/C++ Windows developer...

But I dare not touch anything for lack of linux. I think it would take about six months of study before being able to think about messing with my Kindle.

My two cents.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
I use forums to get a little help as most of the hacks start out with an assumption that the user HAS already mounted the rootfs. I just needed one item.
I think you are very confused between the terms "rootfs" and "root of the USB partition". No published hack that I know of requires access to the root filesystem. Simply plug the Kindle into your Mac, and copy the install bin's to the Kindle -- if you feel daring: while most hacks lack the potential to cause serious harm to your device, you can certainly mess things up for a while if you fail to follow the instructions to the letter.

As far as Jean-Yves being rude, he wasn't. He was just being perfectly honest. To reiterate what rfog wrote, if you lack knowledge of UNIX (or GNU/Linux), the Kindle is not the platform you want to learn on.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
software.enginee

REALLY good engineers wanted.

When I plug me Kindle DX into my mac, I do NOT see all the files/folders that some of the hacks seem to require.

This leads me to think that there is another vol/partition. Also, some of the hacks mention rootfs access. This is why I am asking.

I am NOT at all worried about bricking my kindle. There have been some who feel the need to comment on my technical abilities, please shut up.

I am only interested in comments that guide my in the right direction. I have successfully jailbroken multiple iPhones, hack my Kindle I and put Linux mods on several wireless routers. So please.

The REALLY good engineers can write instructions that even a novice can use to hack their Kindle. This forum should allow a novice user, who wants the BENEFIT from a hack, to install it on their kindle.

Insulting me, commenting on what you perceive as my abilities is not helpful to anyone.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
software.enginee

Example of Root Access.

Here is a hack I found on this site:

"If you want to disable automatic update "execution", change /usr/bin/process_update script:
Code: ..."

When I plug in my Kindle DX, I do NOT see a /usr/bin/ directory.

I have seen many hacks on this site that refer to /usr or rootfs.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #11
software.enginee

I answered my own question. - For all Mac Users

This person posts the way to mount (or gain access to) the hidden Kindle partitions. Using this info, Mac users can apply all the hacks on this site. (the ones that require you to have access to the hidden partition on the Kindle).

http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/...tethering.html
Old 01-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
jyavenard
Zealot

Quote:
This person posts the way to mount (or gain access to) the hidden Kindle partitions. Using this info, Mac users can apply all the hacks on this site. (the ones that require you to have access to the hidden partition on the Kindle).

http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/...tethering.html
This person is me, and I wrote no such thing...

It only provides a way to enable USB network tethering.

At no time I explained how to "mount" *hidden* kindle partition...
Old 01-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
software.enginee

Mount (or gain access to) the hidden Kindle partitions w/ Drag & Drop

jyavenard wrote a post that allows a person to MOUNT the hidden Kindle partition (he just did not know that he did).

If you look at his post: http://jyavariousideas.blogspot.com/
You get the first part.

Once you know THAT, you can make a symbolic link to the Kindle rootfs.
On a Mac, you can edit the mountlist (/volumes).

I wrote a simple program that allows me to graphically Telnet into the Kindle's hidden partitions and Drag & Drop files where I want to.

So, jyavenard

By default, the Kindle will mount /mnt/us kindle partition.
But to gain mount (or gain access to) the hidden Kindle partitions, you need a symbolic link or a GUI program to emulate a link. I chose to write my own as I did not like most of the GUI telnet clients that I found.

My only problem now is that the Kindle RE-SETS the telnet connection after a few minutes.

Anyone have the same issue - and solved it?
Old 06-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
GPilotino
GPilotino began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX US
Telnet reset...

/etc/init.d/netwatchd stop
GPilotino is offline   Reply With Quote