Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-29-2005, 04:46 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Tutorial on converting e-books to open formats

LinuxJournal wrote a marvellous tutorial explaining how to convert e-books of various proprietary formats to HTML. E-books in HTML should allow you to view them on your choice of device. The tutorial covers:
Non-Linux users be warned: this tutorial makes heavy use of the command line.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Aw you're spoiling my fun now... I have a stealth project in progress that should obsolete most of these. I just wanted to mention a few buglets:
  1. Their "perl" script doesn't work like they think it does. Its the equivalent of taking the entire body of the document and wrapping it in <pre></pre> tags, which forces a monospace font in most recent readers. Thats hard on the eyes.
  2. The link to ConvertLit is for a much older (and broken) release. The stable version is actually ConvertLit 1.8, not 1.4.
  3. I don't think you can convert Mobipocket books to HTML with RBmake, but I might be mistaken there. Their project page doesn't seem to indicate that functionality.
It looks like the author just googled quickly (and with the wrong keywords in some cases) to come up with the material for the article.

It might be worthwhile to post a follow-up (or a better version with more accurate detail), on how to do this with the 17 ebook formats out there, including TomeRaider (I have a converter from TomeRaider to text or html), PalmReader, Palm PDF, and others.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker
It might be worthwhile to post a follow-up (or a better version with more accurate detail), on how to do this with the 17 ebook formats out there, including TomeRaider (I have a converter from TomeRaider to text or html), PalmReader, Palm PDF, and others.
Ahhh that would be the Holy Grail for every e-book fan.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Now we're all on the edge of our seats!

BTW, if I remember right there are legacy versions of Microsoft's DRM. They upgraded the reader because of ConvertLit. Then gave away free books to get people to use the upgrade (their Summer Spectacular, I think). Then ConvertLit was upgraded and it was all for nought. But if you have .lit ebooks from before that change, you might need the older version of ConvertLit also. Not positive.

The whole thing reminds you a lot of Apples iTunes and PyMusique, doesn't it?! Except Apple didn't give anything to its customers.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:53 AM   #5
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Aw you're spoiling my fun now... I have a stealth project in progress that should obsolete most of these. I just wanted to mention a few buglets:
Tell us more! I'd like to see this, it would make all my christmases come at once.... µbook to read everything <in homer voice>mmmmm..... µbook...</in homer voice>

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
sethcohn
sethcohn began at the beginning.

Give give....

Quote:
(I have a converter from TomeRaider to text or html),
If you are going to tease like that, at least post a link to it... I've been looking for that for a while.
sethcohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I would like an ereader converter, but I haven't found one out in the wild.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:27 AM   #8
kathe
kathe began at the beginning.

Device: E-book
RE: converting e-books to open formats

if u want to know the methods of convert e-books to other formats thn click here

http://linuxera.com/content/view/186/2/

kathe
kathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
But not a single mention of any Free formats...

I'm not sure what you call "open", but for me, that means:
  1. Fully documented (API, SDK, conversion tools)
  2. Available (optionally with source code)
None of the formats you've linked to in this article meet those criteria. You also missed the top two, most-popular eBook formats out there (in terms of number of readers and number of items available in that format):
  1. Plucker (with some samples over here)
  2. iSilo
For non-open, non-free formats though, your blog post is quite informative.

Last edited by hacker; 09-13-2007 at 12:15 PM.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Plucker is Open Source without DRM so no need for cracker tools.
The new .mobi format is problematic because the HTML is changed to achieve better compression. All lineends get removed and also all anchor destinations.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 01:24 AM   #11
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
If you do, can you please make it in something that will be cross-platform ie. will run on Linux or OS X with a minimum of hassle?
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote