Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-17-2015, 11:03 PM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And I am quite happy to admit that there will be a minority of people that want a bigger Kindle. Amazon clearly does not consider the three of you (and a handful of others) to be a big enough consumer base to devote a whole product type to.
I'm glad you have some kind of expert inside scoop to know everyhting Amazon's considering.

People have been asking for a 6.8" Kindle since that screen size was introduced (here and elsewhere), it's come up almost every time new devices are speculated about. How many want it? I don't know and I doubt you do either. Will they ever make one? Who knows. We aren't talking some big device like the DX here. Were talking something with a little bit bigger screen that would/could weigh less and be smaller in overall size than the Kindle Keyboard.

Having read extensively one both screen sizes I know I prefer the 6.8" one.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-17-2015 at 11:07 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #47
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
It's fine with me if Amazon each year offers an upgrade which is truly an improvement.

But I would like to see them continue to offer a very basic model whose price keeps getting lower and lower each year. That would eliminate price as a barrier to getting into the eBook habit.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #48
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
For all it's worth, I would LOVE a bigger screen. I miss my SONY PRS950 :-(
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:19 AM   #49
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Amazon offered a large-screen Kindle -- the DX. It was a market failure.

When I was looking to get a Kindle, the DX was $379 vs $139 for the Keyboard. Had they offered a lower price differential, they might have gotten a different result.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #50
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Well, the good thing is that -- apparently -- Kobo is relevant enough to drive Amazon to compete. Not only did they upgrade the screen and RAM in the PW3, they also dropped the price $10 to undercut Kobo. Will Kobo drop the Kobo Glo $15 to undercut the PW3?

I may seriously look at the PW3 -- once I get rid of some of the eReaders I already own.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 01:38 AM   #51
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Thank goodness for Kobo. Even though they are no real threat to amazon, just a bit of ostensible competition is enough to keep Amazon honest.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:15 AM   #52
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
So do I. I've owned both a number of 6-inchers (starting with the original Cybook Gen3 back in 2007) and two Kindle DXGs, and have looked at the 8" Pocketbook, but for me 6.8" is the sweet spot.

If Amazon would come out with a higher-res (1600x1200, say) 6.8" Voyage, they might tempt me away from my H2O.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:40 AM   #53
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I have a 5", a 6" and a 6.8". I prefer the 6.8" (the 5" is my daily travel book). I had no idea what I had to expect when I bought my T68 (I bought it because it runs android) as it was a 6.8" screen. But I loved the extra .8" from the start. I don't think I'll buy another 6"-er again.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:59 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I have a 5", a 6" and a 6.8". I prefer the 6.8" (the 5" is my daily travel book). I had no idea what I had to expect when I bought my T68 (I bought it because it runs android) as it was a 6.8" screen. But I loved the extra .8" from the start. I don't think I'll buy another 6"-er again.
I, on the other hand, prefer the 6" for its increased portability. I can put the Voyage in my pocket, which I can't do with either the T68 or the H2O.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:03 AM   #55
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The Amazon page just says holds thousands of books. I can't find how many gigs listed anywhere.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:06 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
The Amazon page just says holds thousands of books. I can't find how many gigs listed anywhere.
4GB. Same as the Voyage and the current PW.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:13 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Well, certainly -- you want it. Whether anyone else does, or whether Amazon can justify paying attention to a very niche market, remains to be seen. Amazon offered a large-screen Kindle -- the DX. It was a market failure. They didn't try again.
The reason the DX failed is that Amazon never updated the DX to be current. the DX is seriously obsolete with the very outdated firmware. The DX is no better than a K2.

Kobo sells a 6.8" screen based Reader very successfully. Kobo had the Aura HD and now they have the Aura H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 04:16 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
For all it's worth, I would LOVE a bigger screen. I miss my SONY PRS950 :-(
Then get an H2O. Lovely screen, great front light, 6.8" and it also handles ePub.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:18 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I, on the other hand, prefer the 6" for its increased portability. I can put the Voyage in my pocket, which I can't do with either the T68 or the H2O.
You do know that putting a Readers in your pocket is a Reader waiting to be broken. It's a bad idea to put a Reader in a pocket just as it's a bad idea to use a Reader without a case.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:32 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do know that putting a Readers in your pocket is a Reader waiting to be broken. It's a bad idea to put a Reader in a pocket just as it's a bad idea to use a Reader without a case.
Thank you for the advice, Jon, but I've been using eInk devices long enough now to be well aware of what is or is not a safe thing to do.

Tags
all-new paperwhite