Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
DRMed PDF troubles

I have a specific question that I need to ask about reading a PDF on the iPad, and I was hoping someone already knew the answer.

The PDF is DRMed, and in order to view the PDF you need to have an active web connection and enter a password and a username:
Quote:
Q: Do I have to be online to read the eBook?
A: You have to be online to unlock the eBook. After you have the book unlocked, you have the option to keep the book unlocked for offline reading.

Q: Can I download the book on different computers?
A: Yes. Each time you download the book on a different computer it will have to be unlocked using your ANGEL username and password.
from here

I'm hoping someone will have already worked their way through this. Is there an iPad app that can handle this?

Thanks!
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Bluefire reader doesn't open it?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bluefire does Adobe DE DRM, not Adobe Reader. They're not the same.

At least, I don't think they're the same.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Nate's got it.
The original linked website specifies that they require at least Acrobat/Reader 8.2, and doesn't mention any other plugins. That means that most likely they are using Adobe Live Cycle Policy Server on the backend (Business DRM solution), instead of Adobe Content Server (Consumer DRM solution). Adobe Reader does not support Adobe Content Server documents, and Adobe Digital Editions, or any of the RMSDK based apps, such as Bluefire Reader, don't support Adobe LC Policy Server documents.

I don't remember Adobe releasing a Acrobat/Reader app for the iPad, but there is an Android one (however it was based on RMSDK, so I don't think it ending up supporting Policy Server documents either). So I don't think you will be able to read the document as is, on your iPad. Sorry.

UPDATE:
Adobe released an iOS version of Reader today, and the description says it supports 'Adobe LiveCycle rights-managed PDF files'

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adobe...469337564?mt=8

Last edited by Jim Lester; 10-20-2011 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Adobe Release update info added
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Adobe has multiple DRM schemes for PDFs?? Damn.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Yes, I know.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by "kjk
and it is multiple, btw.

In Acrobat/Reader there are built-in 3 security handlers
- Password, Certificate and Policy Server.
This used to be 5 but the eBook security handler got moved into it's own application - Adobe Digital Editions, and the Entrust Certificate security handler was just removed.

So that's 4 PDF DRMs from Adobe .

But it's still worse than that because there are quite a few 3rd Party Acrobat/Reader plugins for DRM such as FileOpen and LockLizard.

Last edited by Jim Lester; 09-19-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote