Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What you MUST KNOW about the Oort Cloud!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oort_cloud.ogg

The Oort cloud (pronounced /ˈɔrt/ ort, alternatively the Öpik-Oort cloud IPA: [ˈøpik]) is a hypothesized spherical cloud of comets which may lie roughly 50,000 AU, or nearly a light-year, from the Sun.[1] This places the cloud at nearly a quarter of the distance to Proxima Centauri, the nearest star to the Sun. The Kuiper belt and scattered disc, the other two reservoirs of trans-Neptunian objects, are less than one thousandth the Oort cloud's distance. The outer extent of the Oort cloud defines the gravitational boundary of our Solar System.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_cloud

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Now, do you know who Oort was?

His son complety changed our tax laws...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I occasionally hypothesize these creatures called "Oortwhales", and sometimes cite them as a delicacy at the Lounge's legendary Party at my Chateau Pompette. I haven't got very far mentally with my hypothetical creatures, who live (pre-"delicacy") in the Oort Cloud, because the first thing I hit is their tail, and wonder what it pushes against. Still, it occupies my daydreamtime.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Now, do you know who Oort was?

His son complety changed our tax laws...
Really? This: http://www.uva-aias.net/uploaded_fil...tions/WP14.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I occasionally hypothesize these creatures called "Oortwhales", and sometimes cite them as a delicacy at the Lounge's legendary Party at my Chateau Pompette. I haven't got very far mentally with my hypothetical creatures, who live (pre-"delicacy") in the Oort Cloud, because the first thing I hit is their tail, and wonder what it pushes against. Still, it occupies my daydreamtime.

Cheers,
Marc
I think there were a few SF books that incorporated this.

I'm actually researching this to find out more...

If the oort cloud IS mostly comets then it might help understand where our liquid water came from (and maybe the oortwhales too. ).
Old 11-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
44Dave
Enthusiast
44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook
Quote:

Cheers,
Marc
LISTEN TO MY SONG!!!
44Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
I think Larry Niven's character Beowulf Schaeffer did a spot of hypothesising about Oort cloud monsters before settling for pirates with a tame black hole?
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Really? This: http://www.uva-aias.net/uploaded_fil...tions/WP14.pdf

I think there were a few SF books that incorporated this.

I'm actually researching this to find out more...

If the oort cloud IS mostly comets then it might help understand where our liquid water came from (and maybe the oortwhales too. ).
I'd be interested in your research. My reading used to be mostly SF, and so I wonder if I'm guilty of subconscious plagiarism (the whale in HHGttG doesn't count, because that is more conscious allusion ). I know I once wrote a poem about a woman's stillborn in a hospital and, although based on a newspaper headline, someone immediately picked up that it was similar to one of Live's songs from Throwing Copper. But that total self-doubt over any of my creations (I think everything I do is derivative, which puts a wall in front of me) is for another time and place. But please do tell if you find stuff, Kenny, as I'll laugh my head off if I've read them.

I hope you don't mind me bringing the oortwhales up. I'm fascinated by such environments and sometimes place myself or other things or beings amongst them to try give myself an imaginary analogy to properly conceive of their physics, meteorology, et cetera (remember Carl Sagan's hypotheses of life on Cosmos?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Dave View Post
LISTEN TO MY SONG!!!
Forgive me, but I don't know what this means.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 11-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
I'd be interested in your research. My reading used to be mostly SF, and so I wonder if I'm guilty of subconscious plagiarism (the whale in HHGttG doesn't count, because that is more conscious allusion ). I know I once wrote a poem about a woman's stillborn in a hospital and, although based on a newspaper headline, someone immediately picked up that it was similar to one of Live's songs from Throwing Copper. But that total self-doubt over any of my creations (I think everything I do is derivative, which puts a wall in front of me) is for another time and place. But please do tell if you find stuff, Kenny, as I'll laugh my head off if I've read them.

I hope you don't mind me bringing the oortwhales up. I'm fascinated by such environments and sometimes place myself or other things or beings amongst them to try give myself an imaginary analogy to properly conceive of their physics, meteorology, et cetera (remember Carl Sagan's hypotheses of life on Cosmos?).

Cheers,
Marc
It's a free (for all ) forum no problem. I'm not researching fiction though, more about what is really known about the oort cloud --- which doesn't seem to be much actually -- a lot of speculation. But if I run across anything interesting I'll definitely post back....
Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
44Dave
Enthusiast
44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.44Dave could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
DYNAMITE!!!

'Cause space whales rule.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:28 AM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Dave View Post
DYNAMITE!!!

'Cause space whales rule.
Hah! Well, I'd not heard of that, but apparently they do:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpaceWhale

Sorry, Kenny. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Cheers,
Marc (so common they're a trope)
Old 11-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #11
kennyc

Love it!

Thanks Marc and Dave!

Oort cloud is boring compared to space whales anyway.

Who better to know the clouds of Oort than leviathans of the infinite.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
44Dave
Enthusiast

Anyway, I always thought the cloud was a fact, not hypothetical. I'm kinda disappointed in that.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #13
biabeli
biabeli began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hey Kenyc, I have been facinated by the Oort cloud for some time too and I read anvil of change by jack dash. Its a sci-fi book and not a bad read but the oort cloud forms the back drop to the story and he offers an interesting idea. In the book, the cloud was formed when the proxima centaury binary system formed, it disrupted the kuiper belts of the two stars and threw all the comets out into space which also explains the early (or is it late?) bombardment and, as you said, earth's water. I thought it was a cool idea - it might even be true.
biabeli is offline   Reply With Quote