Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Creating collections on PC / from folders?

Dear all,

I find creating collections on the kindle a bit cumbersome. Can I create them on my pc? Is there any way to get collections created by the actual folder where the files are?

Thanks!

g.
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The collections must be created on the Kindle itself. I have not seen any reports on shifting collection folders between devices.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
rdj999
rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rdj999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Keep in mind there are two ways to approach adding content to collections: from a content item's menu or from the collection's menu.

I agree that highlighting each content item and selecting its "Add to Collection..." menu item is a cumbersome way to add several items to the same collection.

If you highlight the collection (don't open it), however, rather than one of the items, and jog the joystick to the right, the "Add/Remove Items" menu item allows you to run down the list and check/uncheck content that you want in that collection.

-^-rdj-^-
rdj999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
The collections must be created on the Kindle itself. I have not seen any reports on shifting collection folders between devices.
Between a couple of Kindles registered to the same account, yes you can:

Quote:
To import a collection from another Kindle:
Select "Archived Items" from the Kindle Home screen.
Select "Add Other Device Collections" from the Archived Items page.
Select "OK" to confirm.
Note: Importing a collection from another device does not import the books or other items to your Kindle if they aren't downloaded already. However, books already on your Kindle that are associated with a collection will automatically appear under that collection name on your Home screen.
Someday, perhaps, Kindle for PC/Mac apps will have collections, and it might be less onerous to create new ones using the apps rather than a Kindle, since you have a real keyboard etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Thank you for pointing out this feature!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Thanks - I think Amazon should have some kind of iTunes-for-Kindle. I have folders with hundreds of technical documents by category, and re-creating collections on the Kindle is useless.
I will take a look at the metafiles that the kindle creates for each book - perhaps they can easily be edited on a pc and the collection tag or something added...
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:54 AM   #7
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
I'm hoping they will do something about this collection thing, adding a subfolder under collection in an update and hopefully soon.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #8
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
My goodness. Why can't I plug my Kindle in, and then from my computer, make files and subdirectories and move the files into them?

I find moving around a Kindle screen tediously excruciating simply for reading (no way will I use this for web access), and don't want to have to do this for "housekeeping!"

Please tell me this is doable!

OTOH, can I do my filing online with the Sony 650? Sigh. How about the iPad?
parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #9
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by parafluie View Post
My goodness. Why can't I plug my Kindle in, and then from my computer, make files and subdirectories and move the files into them?

I find moving around a Kindle screen tediously excruciating simply for reading (no way will I use this for web access), and don't want to have to do this for "housekeeping!"

Please tell me this is doable!

OTOH, can I do my filing online with the Sony 650? Sigh. How about the iPad?
You certainly can create files (sic folders?) and subdirectories and move files into them. The Kindle will not recognise them though. Why the Kindle has that capability and yet can not see that structure within it's own operating system is another question.

It is all rather bizarre and seems to have something to do with Jeff Bezos' weird fetishes and phobias.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
parafluie
Enthusiast
parafluie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 3,
I'm sorry to hear that Norm. These are things I never thought about at all, I just expected to download and have things magically work, a lovely, mystifying experience. Well, mysterious and tedious are getting mixed up!

I don't give a hoot about Bezos's foibles, I just wanna read a book <g>.

I guess I'll flail around with this, and see how the Sonys are programmed and consider them. Then, when I have a clue about MY eReader idiosyncracies, maybe I'll make a knowledgable decision. Who knows, maybe I'll get the new, smaller iPad next year, when (if ) it comes out.

Or maybe I 'll get used to the Kindle.
parafluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't like entirely like the implementation of Collections, but greatly prefer them to file-system based folders.

For example my 'Current Reading' collection can include items that are also in 'Technology'. But these two collections are not subsets of each other, so there's no way to create a hierarchical structure where an item can be shown in more than one category (short of file aliases, but nobody uses or understands them).

This was all discussed ad infinitum on Kindle discussions prior to the arrival of the Collections feature, and there was just no way to please everyone, because individual requirements are in conflict. I think Amazon did a decent job, but there is still some polishing to do. And there is a learning curve. It took me a couple of weeks to get comfortable with Collections, but I'd never want to go back to what was.

BTW somebody here is working on a Windows-based application to manage Collections on Kindle. There is a recent thread - please look for it.

Mostly what I'd like to see are 'smart' Collections (rule based collections) so you would not have to manually manage everything. Collection hierarchies could be an extension of this feature ('all items in XYZ or ABC').
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #12
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Kindle collections aren't folders, they're tags. That's why you can have one book in several collections. A tag-type system wouldn't work it if it was simply reading the file directory structure -- one file can only be in one folder at a time.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #13
KecajN
Enthusiast
KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KecajN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBoox Inkpad 3, Inkpad X
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiyoforward View Post
I find creating collections on the kindle a bit cumbersome. Can I create them on my pc? Is there any way to get collections created by the actual folder where the files are?
You will find not only creating collections a bit cumbersome but also virtually impossible while trying to organize hundreds or thousands of ebooks. I am looking for the same solution as you do. Format of collection file is well known - if you are interested in writing own application just search via our forum. I started to create Perl script for myself but did not complete it yet because chronic lack of time. In the meanwhile I use Kindle Collections Manager from Adrian Colegate:

http://www.colegate.net/KindleCollectionManager

(you will find more info in separate thread). It is still in beta version but is working quite well for me. You can use this app to create collections from folders just by drag&drop. But Kindle does not support nested collections so you will not be able to map your folders directly - first you have to flatten folder structure.

Note: Add some prefix on the very beginning of collection name - collections will be always listed on the top of the list.

It still looks quite awkward but I can assure you that it is quite decent workaround. As soon as I received a copy of Kindle Collections Manager I finally started to read. And it is something that Kindle is built for. I wish Amazon understood it...

Best regards,

Jacek
KecajN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #14
Fisse
Fisse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdj999 View Post
Keep in mind there are two ways to approach adding content to collections: from a content item's menu or from the collection's menu.

I agree that highlighting each content item and selecting its "Add to Collection..." menu item is a cumbersome way to add several items to the same collection.

If you highlight the collection (don't open it), however, rather than one of the items, and jog the joystick to the right, the "Add/Remove Items" menu item allows you to run down the list and check/uncheck content that you cant in that collection.
-^-rdj-^-
Thanks for the tip. Have been doing it the hard way all this time.
Fisse is offline   Reply With Quote