Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Battery performance after softroot?

OK, I decided to try softroot my nook wifi, one concern for me is the battery, does anyone notice any difference at all regarding battery performance after the softroot? is it getting even worse or do you notice any improvement after softroot? Thanks.

Last edited by Sylver; 07-08-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
curio
Enthusiast
curio began at the beginning.

Device: nook Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver View Post
OK, I decided to try softroot my nook wifi, one concern for me is the battery, does anyone notice any difference at all regarding battery performance after the softroot? is it getting even worse or do you notice any improvement after softroot? Thanks.
At first I thought there was something amiss with the v1.4 softroot of my Nook Wi-Fi in that the Wi-Fi stayed on all the time (when reading as well as when put to sleep), which of course drained the battery.

As I soon found out, this appears to be due to Trook which, once one has accessed the network using it, appears to keep Wi-Fi turned on until Trook is explicitly shut down (last option in its settings). I have now become used to explicitly shutting down Trook after having accessed the network using it; this keeps the Wi-Fi status as it should be, and I've noticed no extraordinary battery drain.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
cleanest
cleanest began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thank you Curio

Hey Curio,

I registered just so I could send this thanks. I'm not sure it has worked yet but I'm so excited that I might have found the solution. I also recently softrooted my nook and I really love the softrooted software so much better than the B&N default but I was in despair about the horrible battery life and was about to sadly revert to the B&N software. I can't wait until tomorrow when I find out whether this has worked.

I'll try to remember to log back in and post an update.
cleanest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
cleanest

Also WiFi Locker maybe

I also noticed an option in WiFi Locker to stop APD. I stopped it. Maybe it was also contributing to battery drain.

Update tomorrow. Come on, tomorrow!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
Kypt
Connoisseur
Kypt began at the beginning.

Device: nook, Kindle 3
I personally had horrible battery after 1.4 softroot, didn't have trook installed so no idea what it could be. I've removed softroot as only need it for tags and all went back to normal.
Kypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
cleanest

sadness reigns

Those suggestions didn't stop my abysmal battery drain. I saw that it was still draining slowly and I went so far as to use the launcher settings to remove trook and wifi locker (after turning them off). I then went into settings, turned on wireless, and then turned on airplane mode. I then did a hard reboot. It's still draining very quickly.

Interestingly when I checked it now, it had a warning message saying something like "Battery almost done. You need to charge. You'll get better battery performance if you turn off wireless by entering airplane mode."

I was in airplane mode but it sounds like something was keeping wireless on anyway.

I'll revert to default software and see if battery is better and will report back. Perhaps I just got a bad battery from the factory. It's new and I immediately soft rooted it so I never got a chance to evaluate it using the default software.

Bummer, I loved the softroot. I just liked the covers for sideloaded docs (My Documents) which for annoying reasons, B&N disables. Also, it was really cool to get a shell window on it and run unix command lines on it.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:31 PM   #7
cleanest

one other thought - disabled b&n update

It does appear that some people are using softroot 1.4 without battery issues and some are having battery issues? Is this true? Any w/ softroot 1.4 and no battery issues?

I wonder it the difference is whether ppl turned off the B&N updates like I did following this instruction
adb shell rm /system/app/FirmwareUpdateService.apk
from http://nookdevs.com/FAQ#How_do_I_rev...y_freshness.3F

I wonder if my nook is stuck in a loop trying to run that program? Maybe those with battery problems removed the updater and those without didn't?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
cleanest

one more idea....

Could it be a difference btwn wifi only and wifi+3G?

I have wifi only.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I also have a Nook Wifi. After softrooting, I've noticed a big dropoff in battery life - if I had it fully charged, and left it for a few days with minimal reading use, by the time I picked it up again, the battery would be completely drained and I'd have to charge it just to turn the device on. And I've always had airplane mode on.

I'm going back to stock 1.4. What I really wanted from softrooting was to use tags for organization, but that was a mess (see my other posts about this), so I'll go back to stock 1.4 and hope B&N comes to their senses and releases an update that deals with library organization.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I rooted my 3G unit a week or so ago - no battery issues. I've only accessed the file management apps and I don't recall removing the updater...
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I rooted my 3G unit a week or so ago - no battery issues. I've only accessed the file management apps and I don't recall removing the updater...
Update. Yesterday morning, I purchased a book from B&N. After it downloaded, I went back to airplane mode - at that time my battery was at 51%. About 8:00, I wanted to read and my battery was too low.

It seems like the root for V.4 is keeping the 3G/WiFi active.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
cleanest

Not a softroot problem - a general 1.4 problem

Turns out this is not a problem with the softroot. It's a problem with the B&N 1.4:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/.../563731#M16036
Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Rich_D
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanest View Post
Turns out this is not a problem with the softroot. It's a problem with the B&N 1.4:

Good to know. I haven't had any issues since charging the nook after the drain. I don't purchase many books, so I should be good until a patch comes out.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #14
poutine
poutine doesn't litterpoutine doesn't litter

Do note that no software from the softroot runs without you explicitly launching it. The softroot running B&N apps will never use more battery than an unrooted just running B&N apps as there's nothing running in the background that normally isn't. There might however be bugs in trook, etc, which can cause issues to crop up, but the softroot itself does not increase battery usage just by being there.
poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanest View Post

Maybe that's a different issue. After going back to B&N 1.4, I no longer have battery issues. With softroot 1.4, battery life was unacceptably short.
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote