Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
lyssdod
Member Retired
lyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: none
Exclamation Kindle Repository

Hi guys,

I want to share my idea with you and to hear your opinion. I've been reading this forum for a long time, obtaining new knowledge and admiring homebrew stuff. That's great, but it's a complete mess. I mean, once anyone creates a new program, he creates a thread (it's okay), but there's these annoying zip files, source code encapsulated in quote tag, and in 8 times of 10 there're no screenshots. I have to read the whole thread to find something more or less descriptive.

What we have in the result? Lots of threads, which can have brilliant stuff inside them, but buried deep under uninformative posts. That's not mentioning many authors that have abandoned their creatures.

In this thread there are some talks about setting up an opkg repository and that's partly what I want to do. So, that's time for few headlines:
  • Rewrite opkg tool
  • Organize all sources
  • Setup a precompiled repository

I created an organization on github: https://github.com/kindle-ng which I want to use for keeping code repositories and collaborating with other developers (yifanlu, Nyoxi, NiLuJe, twobob are especially wanted). I think, that together we can transform existing codebase into something ordered and well-organized. I'm an old-school Gentoo user and I would like to have Makefiles everywhere (or use CMake).

For the second goal, I'm quite experienced with embedded Linux development as well as with web development. It's not so hard to setup an automatic compilation of current package tree from github and exporting it online, thus making opkg repository REAL. Imagine that you're running opkg-gui from your kindle (or visiting a website) where you can read software's description, watch its screenshot, finally, install it in the handy way! Like all normal users do.

lyssdod
lyssdod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You could start with a simple list of the things you have in mind.
Each with a link to its "hidden" post.
We have an index system for this purpose (and others).

Time for you to stop reading and start typing into the index system.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
lyssdod
Member Retired
lyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

I decided to start from opkg. Nyoxi's patches would be nice, but his last activity was about a month ago and his server refuses my connections.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
would you be provisioning on a per device basis.

Niluje has always maintained that a package manage is overkill but if you are doing the spade work well... churlish not to assist where possible.

I have opkg for the 3 (and thus other models) if you want it. it's in buildroot (I will assume you didn't know about buildroot for the sake of "Thread post completeness") which is "low effort" and can be sysrooted / Included to provide helpful libs for x-compiling.

There is ipkg in there too maybe. or was.

Good effort mate. with a bit of a drop down menu and a few lookups you could have a very nice realtime user-friendly system.

I'm all for that : D
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssdod View Post
I decided to start from opkg. Nyoxi's patches would be nice, but his last activity was about a month ago and his server refuses my connections.
Clone of one Nyoxi's repository is here. I believe, it contains everything made by Nyoxi except opkg-gui source.

Last edited by eureka; 12-17-2012 at 01:48 AM.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #6
lyssdod
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Clone of one Nyoxi's repository is here. I believe, it contains everything made by Nyoxi except opkg-gui source.
thanks, i'll have a look at this
Old 12-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
lyssdod
Member Retired

It seems that repository you provided contains only precompiled opkg, and the only source files there are shell scripts
Old 12-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssdod View Post
It seems that repository you provided contains only precompiled opkg, and the only source files there are shell scripts
Because nothing more is required. Look into opkg/build.sh. It describes building and packaging of opkg and building of statically linked bootstrap tool opkg-cl-static to install opkg package. opkg sources are checkouted straight from upstream repository.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What twobob said. I still don't feel that the few dozen bits of stuff laying around here actually *need* to be handled through a PMS, but, hey, you're welcome to try to implement something .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote