Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
dwmurray57
dwmurray57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Importing current eBooks to Kindle 3?

Hi All,

I currently have a collection of e books which were acquired using Calibre. I've been very tempted to get myself a Kindle 3 as I do a fair amount of reading and find that my Galaxy S smart phone is not the best solution for reading for extended periods.

I have 2 questions, firstly -- would anyone know if I can freely move/copy my books that I currently have under Calibre to the Kindle 3?

Secondly it seems from what I have read in the forums that I am to expect some pain / difficulties with DRM issues with the Kindle... If that is the case, what alternative ebook device would you suggest.

Thank you in advance,

Doug!
dwmurray57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If your books are drm'd, they will need to be 'liberated' before you can read them on the kindle.

If they are epub, Calibre has a plug in that will do that for you.....just add the book and its done.

You didn't mention where you got the books....but any book that can be read on Calibre can be converted to mobi and sent to your kindle.

If you get a pop up winow that says 'book cannot be opened, has drm' it needs to be liberated before sending.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
dwmurray57
dwmurray57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Hi desertgrandma,

For the most part, my books are ePub and some .pdf. Based on what you mentioned, I should be fine to move them over to the Kindle.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Doug!
dwmurray57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmurray57 View Post
For the most part, my books are ePub and some .pdf.
The Kindle can read PDFs "as is" or you can convert them to MOBI using Calibre. The ePubs will need to be converted to MOBI for the Kindle, but this should work well.

It is currently hard to beat the Kindle 3 on capability and value for the money. In addition, the Kindle Store is the largest single source for current ebooks, and often has the best price. As desertgrandma said, if you buy DRM-ed ePubs (from other stores), there are Calibre plug-ins that can strip the DRM to allow Calibre to format shift to MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 AM   #5
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Well, like I said, I personally find removing the DRM from epubs to be a lot trickier than the handwaving that people do on the forums.

And as I've pointed out before in a lot of threads, the epub to mobi conversion process isn't always the smoothest w/ Calibre. If you have a lot of epubs, it's probably best to stick with a device that supports them natively, because otherwise you might end up having to tweak every book you own.

So anyway, my advice is try converting beforehand. See if it goes okay or not. Then get the kindle if so. (Personally, I wish I could afford a e-reader with epub support)

Last edited by JeremyR; 11-17-2010 at 05:01 AM.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
If they are epub, Calibre has a plug in that will do that for you.....just add the book and its done.
Thank you! I didn't know there was an epub plugin for Calibre. I see that there are plugins for just about everything now except PDF which I don't usually use anyway.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote