Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #256
jswinden
Nameless Being

My Nexus 7.2 just updated to Android 4.4, KitKat.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #257
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My Nexus 7.2 just updated to Android 4.4, KitKat.
Too scare mine is working great alot of apps aren't compatible yet.

Oh noes mine is doing it too!

Last edited by Blossom; 11-22-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #258
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Too scare mine is working great alot of apps aren't compatible yet.

Oh noes mine is doing it too!
Worse than Apple! Apple auto DLed iOS7 to our iThingies but let us decide if we wanted to install it. BTW, I had to stop and restart ScreenDim to get it working after the update.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #259
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Worse than Apple! Apple auto DLed iOS7 to our iThingies but let us decide if we wanted to install it. BTW, I had to stop and restart ScreenDim to get it working after the update.
Works fine for me but hate the white indicators that use to blue on the status bar. Gsam no longer works at all. Had to find alternative. I think there is thread in the Android forum for KitKat so might want to check there for more info.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #260
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
Well, I just happened to be at two Best Buys yesterday doing some Christmas shopping and looked at two HDXs and neither of them had an obvious blue border.

I get mine today so I will see what mine looks like.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #261
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Posting from new HDX right now. Love it.

Not seeing much of the blue border problem. Might be a very light blue border but it is hardly noticeable.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #262
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
Posting from new HDX right now. Love it.

Not seeing much of the blue border problem. Might be a very light blue border but it is hardly noticeable.
Best way to check is to open a book set the margin to first setting then look at white theme then switch to sepia. It will show you where the border ends and if its mixed into any of the page. In other words if the light bleed causes uneven lighting. You will want to turn brightness down all the way then bring it up slowly to about 2%-5% then 10%-15%.

This will give you a good idea how intrusive it will be.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #263
mcrow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Best way to check is to open a book set the margin to first setting then look at white theme then switch to sepia. It will show you where the border ends and if its mixed into any of the page. In other words if the light bleed causes uneven lighting. You will want to turn brightness down all the way then bring it up slowly to about 2%-5% then 10%-15%.

This will give you a good idea how intrusive it will be.
I have been reading for an hour with standard white and don't see anything I don't see on any other mobile device i've owned. There is a very light, not quite blue shaded border. If I wasn't looking for it , I don't think I'd know the difference.

It is more pronounced in sepia but I never use that. I really don't think most people would bothered buy it and many wouldn't even notice it.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #264
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
I have been reading for an hour with standard white and don't see anything I don't see on any other mobile device i've owned. There is a very light, not quite blue shaded border. If I wasn't looking for it , I don't think I'd know the difference.

It is more pronounced in sepia but I never use that. I really don't think most people would bothered buy it and many wouldn't even notice it.
Sounds like you got a better one than most.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #265
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
My first impressions are very mixed. I like the design of the machine itself, although the backing is not very grippy at all. But the weight is good. Love the screen, I don't care about the blue border that is easily visible on my unit. I like Amazon's take on Android, and the speakers are really nice for a unit this small.

A few problems: the light sensor is useless. Constantly heavily shifting levels in very dramatic directions. Like the sensor has no idea what the ambient lighting really is.

Also, (and this is a big one) there is a noticeable lag on input when playing games like Dead Space and Dead Trigger. My left finger is perfectly fine when moving my character around, but the right finger takes a second to register when I put it down to try to rotate the view.

That is driving me crazy. I'll have to return it if nothing changes.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #266
pdk46
pdk46 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
Blossom-I have an iMac. When I transferred books from Calibre to my Kindle eReader and to my Kindle Fire original I did not have a problem. However, I now have a Kindle Fire HDX and when I plug it into my computer-iMac-using the USB cord the "Device" icon does not appear at the top. Please take me thru the transfer process. Thanks.
pdk46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #267
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I could live with the blue haze, though it is noticeable; however, this is my first time reading on android vs. e-ink, so I quickly switched to white-on-black, as the glare from the white screen wasn't for me at all. Took me a loooooong time to figure out how to get a free Amazon prime book onto the HDX, but I finally managed to do it.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #268
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I could live with the blue haze, though it is noticeable; however, this is my first time reading on android vs. e-ink, so I quickly switched to white-on-black, as the glare from the white screen wasn't for me at all. Took me a loooooong time to figure out how to get a free Amazon prime book onto the HDX, but I finally managed to do it.
Try the sepia theme. It was I use when I read on mine.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #269
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk46 View Post
Blossom-I have an iMac. When I transferred books from Calibre to my Kindle eReader and to my Kindle Fire original I did not have a problem. However, I now have a Kindle Fire HDX and when I plug it into my computer-iMac-using the USB cord the "Device" icon does not appear at the top. Please take me thru the transfer process. Thanks.
I have no idea I don't own a Mac I would ask in the Calibre forum as this is a Calibre issue. Someone over there will know why it's not working.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 PM   #270
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
It took me a great deal of effort to get at the free monthly library book for January!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote