Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I take it you mean 0x10 0x10 0x10?
No there is no 0x10 for the JetBook Color 2 (every color pixel has a number from 0-15 (0-0xf) for every color (red, green and blue - 16 x 16 x 16 = 4096 colors).

0xf (so 15 from a palette from (0-255)) would be round up to 0x1 (=1 from a palette (0-15) for every color for the Jetbook Color display).

But that's just speculation, maybe the JBC2 is just trunking (and not rounding) the numbers (e.g. 0x0 - 0xf would still be 0 for every color).

Last edited by joblack; 03-22-2013 at 05:04 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thanks for the explanation.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll buy a JetBook Color 2 and then I can post a color comparison.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
X read X
Banned
X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.X read X ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook, iPhone 4, Jetbook Color.
I think whats forgotten here is the fact that eInk is in its infancy compared to other screen types.

Its unfortunate, however most people compare it to LED and LCD displays because it is often used in similar devices.

I think the point is that eInk is improving, slowly but surely. To me their is an obvious difference in the color. I've only seen picture comparisons which most likely means the real life comparison is more drastic.
X read X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by X read X View Post
I think whats forgotten here is the fact that eInk is in its infancy compared to other screen types.

Its unfortunate, however most people compare it to LED and LCD displays because it is often used in similar devices.

I think the point is that eInk is improving, slowly but surely. To me their is an obvious difference in the color. I've only seen picture comparisons which most likely means the real life comparison is more drastic.
The problem is that some people think it has to be fast to be useful. Nobody complains that paper pictures aren't moving fast (except Harry Potter perhaps).

I think e-ink is fine. I don't like this artificial white (like in the Kindle PW sidelight) and I don't care if there is some weak grey instead of 'real white'.
Advert
Old 04-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #21
joblack
Wizard

Whiter than white?

Ok, I got my JetBook Color 2 Black. For comparison I laid the JetBook Color 2 with a white screen to my Kindle Paperwhite (disabled sidelights).

Click image for larger version

Name:	JetBook Color 2 vs. Kindle Paperwhite.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	575.2 KB
ID:	103940

@Nate the great, doesn't look that 'annoying greyish' to me AND the white is a lot of better than with the original JBC.

The firmware seems to be the same but the screen seems to be more brilliant and faster. I'll try some colored e-books on it but on first sight it's more fun to navigate through the pages.

Unfortunately it's also a little bi more glare - we'll see how it will be in direct sunlight.

If somebody has a good test picture (1600x1200 in JPEG format) I could do a 'real color' comparison. If wanted send me the picture or publish it.

Last edited by joblack; 04-04-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Do the colors on color eink displays still look washed out?

(I'm still holding out for mirasol...)
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Do the colors on color eink displays still look washed out?

(I'm still holding out for mirasol...)
No, at least the JetBook Color 2 is more glare so it looks more like Mirasol. Unfortunelty I do like non-glare displays more.

If you send me a fitting picture (1600x1200 - JPG) I can create picture for comparison.

Last edited by joblack; 04-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:35 AM   #24
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I have both units - jetBook Color and jetBook Color 2. I like the screen of jetBook Color 2 more. Colors looks much better and contrast is great.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
hey guys, could you show more pictures of the jetbook color 2 in while it has text on it, presumably with pictures?

What interests me is how the readibility of the jetbook color 2 is compared to pearl display e-readers.

Im actually thinking about buying one, but if its only readable in bright light conditions I would have to think twice!

Oh and does the Jetbook Color 2 use a frontlight?

And also: Does the Jetbook Color 2 act any faster in terms of Software ? Or is it EXACTLY the same except for the screen?

Thanks!

Last edited by gamba66; 06-03-2013 at 12:36 PM.
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #26
Ansileran
Zealot
Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ansileran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kobo Aura HD, Cybook Odyssey HD
well, the greyish background doesn't look any worse than that of my actual reader ^^.

I saw a comparison of the jetbook and the mirasol showing how much more vivid pictures were in the mirasol but I'm not sure if it is because the colors are washed out on the jetbook or because the contrast is forced on the mirasol... What would be great would be a comparison real paper / scanned version on the jetbook...
Ansileran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #27
joblack
Wizard

I had the time (and nerves) to create some photos. As I am not a professional photographer complains can go to you_suck@nsa.org. ;-)

Anyways, here is the comparison between my JetBook Color 2 and Onyx M92. The first three are the JetBook Color 2 (without extra external light, with extra light, fonts) and the last two are from the Oynx M92.

Name:	jbc2_without_light.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	107164

Name:	jbc2_with_light.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	782.4 KB
ID:	107165

Name:	jbc2_fonts.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	107166

Name:	m92_cover.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	107167

Name:	m92_fonts.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	107168

The JetBook Color 2 has no interal side lights (the M92 hasn't one either - which is a good thing). The software is as far as I can see the same.

The decision is simple: If you want a big good all round e-book reader with good usability get the Onyx M92. If you like color (comics, pictures, color e-books) and are a little bit masochistic in relation to usability get a JetBook Color 2.

Personally I'm mostly using the M92. The glare screen on the JetBook Color 2 has the same 'glaring' like on an iPad but I also have to say: Reading color media on a JetBook Color 2 is quite impressive (more impressive than the pictures are maybe indicating).

Last edited by joblack; 06-24-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find the text better on the photo of the M92.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #29
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find the text better on the photo of the M92.
That's quite possible.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The text on the Jetbook has some color bleed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote