Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you updating to iOS5?
Sticking to iOS4 for Stanza. 16 22.86%
Updating to iOS5 - new features trump Stanza. 22 31.43%
Moot point - already updated to iOS5. 27 38.57%
Stanza? What's that? 3 4.29%
Other 2 2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Anyone foregoing the iOS5 update for Stanza?

As the title says, anyone else here foregoing updating to iOS5 in favor of keeping Stanza working?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
No.

I never used Stanza! ...

I mean, tried, but honestly Kindle app and iBooks do everything I need and want. The rest ... my Kindle 3.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Cpl Punishment
Guru
Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cpl Punishment ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad 103rd Gen
Seems to be a bit silly to give up 200 additional features with the new OS because Stanza turned into abandoned-ware....BUT its your device !!!!
Cpl Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Punishment View Post
Seems to be a bit silly to give up 200 additional features with the new OS because Stanza turned into abandoned-ware....BUT its your device !!!!
None of the new features are compelling to me. Aside from Siri (which is 4S-only), the features introduced in iOS5 have been present in other mobile operating systems for a while now. Stanza is the only reason I've stuck with iOS. Stanza just works so well for me that I couldn't be bothered with finding a replacement. Otherwise, I would've jumped shipped to Android a long time ago.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I'm sticking with stanza for now. Don't have any other apple devices besides my phone. Don't need ota sync or icloud (got dropbox), I'm not a heavy texter so don't need new keyboard options or imessage. I'm happy with the way my phone works right now and stanza is my absolutely fave app. I looked at the top 10 new features in ios 5 but none of them compelled me to upgrade.

That doesn't mean I'll never update to ios 5, but I won't do it until I found another reading app I'm happy with.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Stanza is my favorite app also. I'm holding off on updating for a while. I do want the wireless sync, though, so I eventually will migrate, but I've been experimenting with other epub readers and am dissatisfied. If I find something I like, or if Stanza gets updated, I'll upgrade to iOS5.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Kindle and Kobo work well enough for me. Missed, but gotta move on.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
gupy
gupy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I already updated to ios5... :'(
I was not aware that Stanza will stop working...buahhh :'(
I lost lots and lots of books (well...not lost..they are still in my computer)..
Any other application?.. Throughout the time I've bought ebooks from different sellers...and now I don't know what other aplication will work for me..

Any suggestions?
Will Kindle for ios or Kobo for ios work for books not bought from them?
thanks in advance
gupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupy View Post
I lost lots and lots of books (well...not lost..they are still in my computer)..
Any other application?.. Throughout the time I've bought ebooks from different sellers...and now I don't know what other aplication will work for me..

Any suggestions?
thanks in advance
I have DRM free Books on my Kindle and they work with no issues. Also, I was able to restore my DRM free ebooks on iBooks too, from iTunes backup.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #10
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
I like Stanza but not enough to give up the update
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #11
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
The Kobo app for iOS does allow you to sideload books not purchased from their store. Bluefire will also read epubs.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
NETLOLA
NETLOLA began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupy View Post

Any suggestions?
thanks in advance
"Bam Reader", and the "Bluefire" Apps will load any ePub books that Stanza can. For the "pdb" format I suggest the "eReader" App.
NETLOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #13
gupy
gupy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks everyone for your advice...

I already downloaded BlueFire...it's working fine..maybe with not so many features as Stanza...but at least is working ok..

I'll later try BAM and Kobo...

I do have eReader...but I use it just for the books bought from their site.. is there a way to add some other books?

thanks to everyone!!!!!

Last edited by gupy; 10-14-2011 at 11:44 PM. Reason: mistake
gupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I loved Stanza, but iCloud trumps it. Went back to iBooks for the time being.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #15
dangerd
dangerd began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch
i2Reader the New Stanza

I have switched to i2Reader. Surprised that nobody has mentioned this one.
I have used Stanza for years and it has always been my favorite. i2Reader
is as good and in some cases better than Stanza.

Included:
You can customize almost everything, not just text color, but color of main
text separately from headline text and italics, footnotes etc.

You can choose from a lot of fonts, I did not count but would estimate
maybe 60 or so.

You can choose font size by slider or specify by point size.

You can choose background color, overlay a picture with slider controlled
opacity.

You can save unlimited styles you make or use the pre-configured ones.
Switch in Book while reading by double tapping the page.

There is a custom status line setup which shows any combo of time,
progress bar, page number or percentage of book read and all this can be
separately color and size controlled. Or removed completely.

Full Screen Reading option.
Animate-able page turns or the ability to turn them off, also the ability for

tap zones if you don’t like sliding the page and the ability to Define where
the tap zones are on the page.

Sleep mode or Not.

Orientation Lock for both directions, you choose or let it rotate.

The library can have indexes (the letters to quickly get down large library
pages like Stanza).

Large cover icons or small.

Auto grooping of books, by metadata.

Option to open book at startup or not.

Choice of TXT encoding… the list is Sooooooo Long!

You can Sort the library by Author, Title, Sequence, Sequence #, Publisher,
Publishing Series, Generas. One at a time or all at once. Although you have
to go into Prefrence tab to change. I just sort. “Author, Title,Sequence,
Sequence #” so everything is in order.

In the library there is no author folders like Stanza, but with the sorting
turned on everything in the list shows up together if your metadata is correct.

ALSO ON THE LIBRARY PAGE YOU CAN SEARCH!!! FIND STUFF FAST!

NETWORK STUFF

A built in web browser.

OPDS Libraries. (they put in Feedbooks, you add whatever you want.)

Shared Libraries to use with Calibre and i2Librian.
A built in FTP server to upload books to your device.
HTTP Server to upload books to your device.

Dictionaries!!! You can add as many as you want (StarDict format), and use
one at a time or all at once, you choose.

Supports bookmarks with names, has a page with history of last 5 books
opened and new books added and a button called “Bookmarks in Library” so
you can get into whichever book you want to read where you left off.

The one bug I have found is that when visiting hyperlinked footnotes I have
trouble using the link back, but I always bookmark before following and
then use the bookmark to get back, I just call the bookmark “q” every time
and overwrite it.

Also no Sharing function from in the app.

All in all I will say this beats the hell out of Bluefire and all the rest

of the readers out there, but I will miss Stanza.

One more thing it’s $4.99 U.S.D from the app store.

I have posted how to install libraries here:

http://danger3d.blogspot.com

dangerd
dangerd is offline   Reply With Quote