Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Breaking a screen: What does it sound like?

What does it sound like when you break one of these screens.

Say you accidentally step on it (in stilettos) or lean on it with your elbow. Ouch!

I imagine it to be a truly horrible crunch, or a heart-rending crack...I'm not sure. Is it like a million tiny crystals breaking? What does it sound like?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I'd expect it to either be nearly silent or just make a crunching noise. The glass layers in an eInk screen aren't particularly thick so I wouldn't expect a loud noise since they don't require a large force to break.

Why do you want to know anyway?
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
Why do you want to know anyway?
Morbid curiosity.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Morbid curiosity.
Thanks a lot...now I'm going to have bad dreams!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Thanks a lot...now I'm going to have bad dreams!
I know, right. Glad my K3 is in my nightstand and surrounded by a cache of loaded weapons.

Rizla, I hope you come back tomorrow and tell us you were on Ambien.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I know, right. Glad my K3 is in my nightstand and surrounded by a cache of loaded weapons.

Rizla, I hope you come back tomorrow and tell us you were on Ambien.
Mine's surrounded by soft, plush pillows!!
The weapons are under the bed
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
i recently cracked my laptop screen if that is any help
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Mine's surrounded by soft, plush pillows!!
The weapons are under the bed
Well our Kindles are safe but I have a feeling lots of them out there are in danger and don't even know it. There very well may be a Kindle Killer among us.

Kindles - be on the look out for anyone in stillettos with sharp elbows. Keep your covers closed and locked.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #9
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
i recently cracked my laptop screen if that is any help
Thanks for trying KK, but these people usually targets a very specific type of victim. Sometimes they even keep a little souvenier from each "cracking." I don't think their needs would be met with anything less than e-ink.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #10
Snowman
Zealot
Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.Snowman can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iPhone 5, Kindle K3, Kindle Voyage
From bitter experience, a faint click.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:37 AM   #11
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Sounds like Arggggghhhhhhh,$h'!.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #12
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
like a great many voices cried out in terror before being suddenly silenced!!!

I'm not going to find out but I imagine a small click kind of noise, probably similar to cracking a LCD screen.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
hellraiser06
Yaabbaa dabba doo
hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hellraiser06 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch wifi, Kindle 3 Wifi, Asus Transformer TF101
I had broken my Kindle a few weeks ago. I just heard a brief crack. My screen had no physical signs of damage on it, but it wont refresh no more.

It was heart wrenching to say the least.
hellraiser06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #14
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:

Say you accidentally step on it (in stilettos) or lean on it with your elbow. Ouch!

I imagine it to be a truly horrible crunch, or a heart-rending crack...I'm not sure. Is it like a million tiny crystals breaking? What does it sound like?
There's an easy way to find out.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

Usually sounds like a lot of sobbing
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote