Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Copia

You might remember that I reported on Copia before. It appeared out of the blue with a complete platform of software+devices. Today I had time to visit the DCM Worldwide booth, and they might actually have something here.

Let me preface my remarks by saying that what I saw was a demo. They didn't have a complete version of the software on display. Also, the devices were present, but they wouldn't let me touch them.

That being said, it was an impressive demo. The desktop software I saw seemed very sophisticated and complex. When I describe it before as social media meets ebook reading, I was right. I don't know enough about social networking to comment on it.

There was an impressive number of ebook readers and accessories on display. I believe I caught most of them in the attached photos. (The 4th and 5th photos show a keyboard that is supposed to plug into the screen only units.)

I was told that the software should be out in March, and the ereaders are due out in June. I asked and was told that the retail price for the e-readers ranged from $199 to $299. Yes, the $299 price is for the 9.7" device with a touchscreen. (I don't believe it, either.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0230.JPG
Views:	655
Size:	852.2 KB
ID:	42897   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0231.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	768.2 KB
ID:	42898   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0232.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	773.9 KB
ID:	42899   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0234.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	651.3 KB
ID:	42900   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0235.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	42901   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0236.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	712.2 KB
ID:	42902   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0237.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	781.5 KB
ID:	42903   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0238.JPG
Views:	655
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	42904   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0239.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	42905   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0240.JPG
Views:	638
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	42906   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0241.JPG
Views:	620
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	42907   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0242.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	42908   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0244.JPG
Views:	639
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	42909   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0245.JPG
Views:	684
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	42910   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0246.JPG
Views:	577
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	42911   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0247.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	42912  

Last edited by Nate the great; 01-09-2010 at 01:27 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Any info on how the social media thing is supposed to work?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I love the looks on that big screen. But I have no need for social networks.... I wonder what kind of files will run on it?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:43 AM   #4
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I was told that the software should be out in March, and the ereaders are due out in June. I asked and was told that the retail price for the e-readers ranged from $199 to $299. Yes, the $299 price is for the 9.7" device with a touchscreen. (I don't believe it, either.)
It looks to me like there will be a regular subscription fee to pay with that price, or the format will be so locked in that you'' be able to but content only from them.
Otherwise, the $299 outright price for an A4 device sounds like a tall story to me.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:38 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Otherwise, the $299 outright price for an A4 device sounds like a tall story to me.
It's not an A4 device, it's a standard PVI 9.7" screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not an A4 device, it's a standard PVI 9.7" screen.
I stand corrected, thanks Harry!
I don't understand inches, never have, never will
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:32 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's rather smaller than A5, if that's any help .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Copia's devices are using SiPix screens, so the large ones have 9" screens with 768 x 1024 pixels. A bit smaller than the 9.7" Vizplex screens with 825×1200 pixels we are used to, e.g. on the Kindle DX.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
how about European availability?
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
For those interested in the social networking aspect, check out this video at Engadget.

Apparently it allows you to share your library with your friends on Facebook and Twitter with Venn diagrams showing where your preferences coincide.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
share as in lend? or "hey guys! these are my reads!"??
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
"Here's what I'm reading, you might like it too" I think.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
vidgej
vidgej began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2N4BBx5jmE
vidgej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
CES. Great. another new e-readers coming out, adding more to the many list.. but surely most of them are for US market. Is Amazon bulging library not enough for Americans? Are they really read THAT much? I noticed some of you got over 3 devices, taking that was true from your profile..

i honestly think Kindle2 with its free wireless all over US is more than enough for most people... and yet more are coming. jeez.. what kind of marketing this is? i really hope one of this many device, complete with its ebook wireless store, will make its way to my not-listed-by-amazon country, very soon..

i still carrying a large hardback, weighing about 2kg by the way... Under the Dome, that is. God help me and my arms... let me have one of these beautiful ereader pls..

im sorry if this offended some of you, but im just pissed off... and a little jealous..
fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #15
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
I must admit I'm a little jealous too. I liked their Ocean devices, and would love one, depending on the price and what formats it supports. I'm also in Europe, and high price of devices plus shipping is what's keeping me from getting one. But, if they become available some time in February, I have a friend who's going to the US who might get one for me.

Does anyone know the ebook formats it reads?
citac is offline   Reply With Quote