Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
"I'm thinking of arranging the books by the color of the Dust jacket."
what's wrong with that idea ?? if i could find a place to put one giant bookshelf big enough for all my books, i would really do that. look how pretty :

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:02 AM   #17
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
So it's common knowledge that Sony's next reader will come in 2009 and have wireless?

Quote:
Amazon and Sony are expected to introduce new versions of their readers in 2009.
Mr. Haber of Sony said future versions of the Reader will have wireless capability ...
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
So it's common knowledge that Sony's next reader will come in 2009 and have wireless?
Well, I'd say it's a common expectation... I don't get the impression the rollout of the wireless device is locked down for 2009 (and Sony may be saying that to try to steal some of Amazon's thunder). But it does seem like that's what they're aiming for.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #19
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Who's Oprah?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #20
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
what's wrong with that idea ?? if i could find a place to put one giant bookshelf big enough for all my books, i would really do that. look how pretty :

Wow, that is cool
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #21
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Wow, that is cool
Well, to be honest, it depends on what the dog is reading. Most pugs I know have abysmally bad taste when it comes to literature. (Which is why you seldom see them buying books. They're embarrassed to be seen purchasing said items.) Plus, how did it organize the shelves that way? I thought they were color blind.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Well, to be honest, it depends on what the dog is reading. Most pugs I know have abysmally bad taste when it comes to literature. (Which is why you seldom see them buying books. They're embarrassed to be seen purchasing said items.) Plus, how did it organize the shelves that way? I thought they were color blind.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #23
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
If it's an Oprah book, I can tell you the plot right now...

All men are bastids
Life sucks
And it's gonna get a lot worse

See? Now you don't have to read it!
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Exactly his point, hence the facepalm smilie.
Yea... I know. I was kidding. Didn't you see my irony icon?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"Why are your books so high?"
I guess there are two answers to that.

1. They take drugs.

2. We don't have any midgets so we put all the books up high.

BOb
Old 12-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #26
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yea... I know. I was kidding. Didn't you see my irony icon?

BOb
You didn't use a smilie.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You didn't use a smilie.
Sorry. :chin scratch:
Old 12-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
You didn't use a smilie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sorry. :chin scratch:
tee hee.

(oops, i mean : "")
Old 12-24-2008, 01:00 PM   #29
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The reason things recommended by Oprah are so popular is that a most Oprah followers are lemmings and will go out and get whatever it is she thinks is good even if it's not. And they will think they've enjoyed it even it it's not good.

I did download the free MS Reader version of The Tales of Edgar Sawtelle but have not read it because I found out not long after that Oprah recommended it. So it's just sitting on my hard drive unread. Now if Oprah had recommended this book, I might have started it. But as I am not a lemming or an Oprah fan, I probably never will read it.
She featured the Sony Reader in her magazine awhile back. You'd better get rid of it right away.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #30
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I worked at a bookstore, too, for almost 20 years.

Many customers are often notoriously inaccurate, lazy, and dead-wrong.
Reminds me of a passage from The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley, where a group of booksellers are having a get-together and talking about their problems. One of them says:

Quote:
The book section of a department store doesn't get much chance to enjoy that tangential advertising, as Fruehling calls it. Why, when our interior decorating shark puts a few volumes of a pirated Kipling bound in crushed oilcloth or a copy of "Knock-kneed Stories," into the window to show off a Louis XVIII boudoir suite, display space is charged up against my department! Last summer he asked me for "something by that Ring fellow, I forget the name," to put a punchy finish on a layout of porch furniture. I thought perhaps he meant Wagner's Nibelungen operas, and began to dig them out. Then I found he meant Ring Lardner.
In re Sawtelle: I bought it from Fictionwise mainly because it was a 100% rebate book and I was looking to get more for loading up my balance than just a pleasant feeling. I haven't read it yet, but it's nice to know it's sitting there if I ever feel appropriately lemming-like.

In re the NYT article, something I found interesting was the bit about the iPhone, where they mention that the iPhone e-reading programs account for nearly as many e-book sales as the Sony Reader, though still not as many as the Kindle.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote