Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #421
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterx View Post
As pkbo writes, any viewer can be extended by a scribbling widget (from onyx, see the sdk sources) that just draws on top. _the_ scribbling application seems to just show a white screen and then adds the scribbling widget. For _the_ scribbling application there is also another difference: The data is stored in a sqlite database in /root while for pdf scribbles, it is stored in an sqlite database in the respective .onyx-directory.

By the way, you can convert these sqlite databases to svg files using https://github.com/peter-x/boox-annotation-export
(added to software list... :P )

That's nice to the respect that it seems that we don't have to touch the closed source reader to change scribble functionality, if I get things correctly... speaking of which... your Scribble project - do you intend to replace the scribble application or the scribble widget? (I didn't fully get your motivation and goal there)
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #422
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
(added to software list... :P )

That's nice to the respect that it seems that we don't have to touch the closed source reader to change scribble functionality, if I get things correctly... speaking of which... your Scribble project - do you intend to replace the scribble application or the scribble widget? (I didn't fully get your motivation and goal there)
Can the native scribble application be configured to draw lines or squares in pDFs? That should be an easy but very useful change
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #423
lalebarde
Connoisseur
lalebarde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC daily edition
Sony 13.3

Thanks all for this huge information. My requirements are for pdf, both academic and documentation), highlighting, notes. I am convinced 9" is a minimum for this use case and I cannot decide between Boox M92 and PB912. Both have pros and cons. PB multitasking is important for me as a good multi-column management. M92 is far more responsive and have a better rendering. All have wifi. I am convinced this is completely useless on a e-ink reader which will be too slow for still a long time.

In the past, I had a Sony PRS950, but the screen is broken (some one walked on my bag - not a default from the device). Globaly I was satisfied, but the software was still not mature enough in terms of usability.

I think I am going to wait a few months for the Sony 13.3 Inch.

I hope the price won't be too big.....
lalebarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #424
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hi,
The multitasking is present in the M92 with the new patch proposed by Booxtor.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #425
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalebarde View Post

I think I am going to wait a few months for the Sony 13.3 Inch.

I hope the price won't be too big.....
How many is "a few"?
I don't think that you are going to see that soon
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:32 AM   #426
lalebarde
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Hi,
The multitasking is present in the M92 with the new patch proposed by Booxtor.
Great ! Thanks a lot Randy11 for the info and Booxtor for the job .

Does someone plan a patch for pdf multi-columns automatic follow-on ?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #427
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
multiclumn PDF-Functionality is already present in the latest M92 Firmware 1.8.20130717 as well.

choose the sutitable Zoomlevel for columns like 200%,300%, 400% then choose PaperMode to navigate correctly thru the columns (Top-Bottom,Top-Bottom with the page turn button) and you can combine it with the auto-crop-function in the page-settings.

by the way the Paper-Mode navigates correctly thru multi-colums, which means vertical navigation, the same style of navigation but horizontal provides the Comic-Mode therefore one can navigate correctly thru PDF-Comics.

Booxtor showed it with the regular multi-column mode in comparison to the multicolumn-Mode combined with Auto-Crop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPnN0p3BCME

Last edited by Dolansky; 08-02-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #428
logrus
logrus began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M92
Now that's pure awesome news about adding the multi-column support! Onyx is one of the best companies when it comes to post-release support of their products. To be honest, I didn't expect new firmware with such important and powerful new features added one and a half year after the reader hit the market. It was good choice to buy M92 :-)

Fonts in multi-column PDFs where often just to small to read comfortably and complex page layouts where not easily handled in zoom mode. I used cut2col tool to extract columns to separate pages, but with some more complex eBooks containing tables and images spanning across multiple columns it was just too much work to cut a few hundreds of pages analysing layout page-by-page.

I own a Polish edition of the reader, so I'll have to wait a few weeks until Arta Tech prepares the binaries for it, but I'm already hooked.
logrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:00 AM   #429
lalebarde
Connoisseur

Thanks for this good news Dolansky. But it is not so demonstrative. With the same 3 columns document, I would like to see a complete page read from the first column top to the last column bottom, one single column at a time in portrait mode and then in landscape mode, the column (only one) occupying all the width of the screen.

I want to read comfortably and ergonomically. Having to prepare a document with external tools before reading it is a strong showstopper for me.

Cherry on the cake : one button to switch from whole page mode to multicolumn-auto-crop-auto-zoom-to-one-column-full-width mode

Actually, that will make my buying decision. Without this, in my opinion, a reader is useless.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:24 AM   #430
Dolansky
Groupie
Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.Dolansky is less competitive than you.

Device: HannsPad.10'.&.IQ(Farbinhalte), PB903,M92(Fachbuch), Kindle3
you don't need external programs to prepare.

The combination of PDF-Mode's with zoom and margin-cut-functions is the most flexible, i know for professional reading on Pearl-e-ink device.

e.g. to read 3 columns you can combine : {Paper-Mode, 300%Zoom, automatic magin-cut} but you are free to choose, instead of 300% Zoom you could use the stylus to draw a Zoom-Rectangle the column-PDF-area to zoom in. The Paper-Mode navigate correctly thru columns with the Page-Turn Button.
Dolansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:26 PM   #431
VVlada
VVlada began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post

Here also you can download following apps:

Apps:
-- Calculator;
-- Picture manager for screensaver;
-- Unit converter (weights, lengths, and so on);
-- Kitchen unit converter;
-- Chemical Period Table

Games:
-- Reversi;
-- Sudoku;
-- Tictactoe;
-- Minesweeper;
-- Hangman;
-- Chess;
-- Battleship

I hope it could be usefull to try out those apps.
Do you know if anybody made the game of Go?
Is it possible to play games online that are made in Java?
I am primly interested at Boox M92.
VVlada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #432
tomaschavez00
Enthusiast
tomaschavez00 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M92
Take care of the screen!!! Its really delicate (build a hard box or something to carry the M92 around)
tomaschavez00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #433
smihaila
smihaila began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans_4242 View Post
Hi Booxtor, thanks for the suggestion. I tried but initially it didn't do the trick.

A slight variation on this helped: if you select the tool indicator at the top of the screen an empty settings screens pops up at the bottom of the screen. I filled in all the fields (took quite some typing due to a rather long SSID) and selected the proper settings for authentication. And guess what: it is working fine now.

So probably only the very first time a wireless network is selected the SSID and other settings are filled in automatically (except for the password). If you want to change the settings afterwards you apparantly must select that network, press the toolindicator at the top of the screen and fill out all fields (SSID, Authentication etc) manually.
Stupid question - why doesn't M92 have a way to enter manual IP network setting for the wi-fi connectivity? Why is it relying necessarily on the presence of a DHCP server? I have disabled the DHCP on purpose on my router, and all my home networking is using static IP addressing.

Thank you.
smihaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #434
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Onyx Boox M92 Compatible With External Keyboard?

Still using my beautiful white M92 on which I typed text which I directly posted via Internet on this forum shortly after the device came out in 2012 to show that it could be done, I wonder now if the M92 would work with an external keyboard.

The reason I ask is that I just saw this video:

"Typing on an e-ink tablet Boox Max with BT keyboard (HD)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHDZh18zwvE

I remember it was a matter of patience to post here via my M92 and Internet, and using the type function on the M92 the letters take a second to appear even on my device itself. So probably it would also not be as fast as shown in that video. Reason I would prefer to get that Boox Max or the still to be released Onyx Boox Laptop.

But just in case, would anyone know how that is?

Last edited by Lode; 11-07-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #435
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lode View Post
I remember it was a matter of patience to post here via my M92 and Internet, and using the type function on the M92 the letters take a second to appear even on my device itself. So probably it would also not be as fast as shown in that video. Reason I would prefer to get that Boox Max or the still to be released Onyx Boox Laptop.

But just in case, would anyone know how that is?
I have reasons to believe you could achieve a similar speed.

Is your question how to use an external, BlueTooth keyboard? Go to the settings menu, pair the devices. Instruct the keyboard to broadcast its presence, instruct the tablet to scan for devices. For security, the tablet will prompt you to type a specific random code on the keyboard (like '123456').

Hint: your keyboard will surely embed keys that you can also use for navigation - arrows, home, search, the "Command" key to start applications etc.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote