Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
roytravis
Enthusiast
roytravis is on a distinguished road

Device: hanlin
HanLin V3 locks up

I have been using the HanLin for about a month now and I am really enjoying it.
However, on two occasion now I have had the device lock up. The first time I fixed it by removing the battery. The book booted after the battery was reinstalled.
The second time this did not provide a solution and I recharged the battery overnight despite the indicator showing half charge. I was able to reboot normally in the morning.
It might be worth mentioning that I leave the HanLin on at the last page I am reading, at all times. I do this in the belief that there is no power usage during this time. I intend now to put in into locked keyboard mode to see if that fixes the problem

Any thoughts welcome.
roytravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
I use the "locked" option, but I don't think it makes a difference whether you lock it or leave it on the last page in terms of power usage.

Rather than remove the battery, if it locks up again, there's a small hole on the back of the device you can stick a small paper clip into to reset the device.

Have a look on the about screen to see which version of the firmware you have installed. It might be worth updating to one of the more recent ones. I remember getting the occasional lock/reboot on one of the older firmware, but the more recent ones have been a lot more stable.

I'm currently testing out the open inkpot firmware, which considering it's a development snapshot and not a real release, has been very stable so far. Installed it on the 29th/30th Jan and so far had no issues.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I think I've found my ideal reader - the Hanlin V3 (actually mine is the EZ Reader) with OpenInkPot fimrware. All of my books are DRM free.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I'm loving my EZ Reader - and I've had no problems, but I've only had it a day, too, *laugh*.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #5
roytravis
Enthusiast
roytravis is on a distinguished road

Device: hanlin
Thank you all for your input. I do have the latest version of the firmware.
I had three lock ups in a short period, on the first two occasions the reset did not fix the problem, it did however on the last.
I have now reloaded the latest firmware file and so far it seems to be stable.
Incidentally the lock ups all occurred within one book which I have now finished so it may have been the source of the problem
roytravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
According to some, the lockups may be due to Hanlin shipping their product with a crappy Chinese battery instead of the original Nokia battery. Apparently some users end up with a good battery, while others get a battery which cannot deliver electricity reliably all the time.
Some say they got rid of the lockups by replacing the Hanlin battery with an original Nokia battery.
I have to try because I experience crashes (my Hanlin clone exits from the book I read) when the battery is not fully charged.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #7
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
Hi all

Since I installed last lbook's firmware, I found the reader is much more stable than before.

With other firmwares (grammata, bebook, hanlin...) the reader locked up often with two bars of battery remaining. With lbook firmware installed, I saw the low battery warning for the first time in my reader!

L.
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #8
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
My reader is less unstable with the latest (and great) LBook firmware too, especially when the battery is fully charged.
But it is not perfectly stable.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
I haven't founded the problem right now,
My firmware is mixed from LBOOK and HANLIN. FW.
Beta bookshelf and viewer from JINKEand Coolreader from LBOOK (mix newest libraries)
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote