Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #1036
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
A UUID or a hash-sum of some kind?

Sounds like they are getting ready to filter Amazon vs. Mobileread update packages with an on-device of "acceptable" update_hashsum.bin list.

Well, as long as they don't break our 5.4.+ downgrader ...

- - - -

Sure would be interesting to know how much money Amazon has spent fighting device ownership by the device owners.

Last edited by knc1; 07-21-2014 at 08:08 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #1037
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@eschwartz: It does, but that's mostly harmless in those cases (besides the 'update' vs. 'Update' thing I mentioned). .
Oh -- so it's "fixed" just by renaming the Updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamrochira View Post
@NiLuJe

Thanks fr the KUAL thread recommendation, downloading to my heart's content ;-)

Do you know anything about the backdoorlock? (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205666) Is it safe?

Will
BackDoorLock is safe.

Kindle Touch Hacking#Blocking_Official_Updates explains it (and the easy way) quite nicely.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #1038
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@eschwartz: No, what I meant was that FW 5.4.5 renames everything to update_*, even if it started out as Update_*. Which reintroduces the possibility of rebooting with custom update packages and hitting the factory updater, instead of the OTA one.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #1039
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
A totally false alarm, my bad.

Last edited by knc1; 07-22-2014 at 08:02 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #1040
afterbox
Enthusiast
afterbox began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2013 3G + Wifi
Anyone know how to make kterm run a shell script on start?

I tried adding "-e sh start.sh" as a parameter in kterm.sh, but nope, didn't work.

Will.

EDIT: Never mind. I had PARAM='-e "sh start.sh"' but bash was parsing the speech marks, so I fixed it with PARAM="-e \"sh start.sh\""

Last edited by afterbox; 04-29-2018 at 07:15 PM.
afterbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #1041
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
So if I'm already jailbroken on Kindle PW2 and upgrade to the newest firmware I don't have to reinstall the kindlet or anything else - just update the FW and keep and reading on my rooted Kindle, right?
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #1042
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@readandread: Not exactly. It's still a full update, the usual caveats apply, check the FAQ.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #1043
afterbox
Enthusiast

Hi again guys. Does anyone know how to set kernel variables for the PW?

Will.

EDIT: Can I just execute the command "sysctl -w parameter=1" ? Or is this too dangerous...

Last edited by afterbox; 07-22-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #1044
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamrochira View Post
Anyone know how to make kterm run a shell script on start?

I tried adding "-e sh start.sh" as a parameter in kterm.sh, but nope, didn't work.

Will.

EDIT: Never mind, it was my idiocy once again. I had PARAM='-e "sh start.sh"' but bash was parsing the speech marks, so I fixed it with PARAM="-e \"sh start.sh\""
Why not just run start.sh before you run kterm? It will inherit the environment of kterm.sh.

Using params never worked for me.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #1045
afterbox
Enthusiast

@eschwartz

Tried it, didn't work. This works, 'sall good ;-)
Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #1046
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by readandread View Post
So if I'm already jailbroken on Kindle PW2 and upgrade to the newest firmware I don't have to reinstall the kindlet or anything else - just update the FW and keep and reading on my rooted Kindle, right?
Didn't work on my machine. You can still read your books, but KUAL no longer displays kindlets and a MKK re-install failed.

Quote:
ANT notice to FW >= 5.4.5 users:
This will NOT work on FW >= 5.4.5!
Currently, it does survive an update to 5.4.5 though, so, if you intend to update to 5.4.5, JailBreak your device first .
If your device shipped on 5.4.5 or newer, for now, you're, err, screwed, sorry.
Are you 100% sure that jailbroken devices survive the 5.4.5 firmware update?
I've just updated my PW2 to 5.4.5 and got a "Mobileread Kindlet Kit is not installed" error message after running KUAL.
I've tried to re-install MKK but got a 007 update error, which, AFAIK, is usually displayed on non-jailbroken devices.

Is the fact that I can at least execute KUAL an indicator that my PW2 is still jailbroken or am I out of luck?

Quote:
@readandread: Not exactly. It's still a full update, the usual caveats apply, check the FAQ.
I did read the FAQ, but I'm still confused as to what to do now. Do I simply need to re-install the full jail-break or will I need to wait for a possible MKK update for PW2s with 5.4.5 firmware.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #1047
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Doitsu, I installed 5.4.5 on top of jailbroken 5.4.3.2 - jailbreak survived. Re-installed of MKK, USBNet and KUAL. Now everything is exactly as it was before the upgrade. I did not test every feature of course, but whatever I use - works.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #1048
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Doitsu: I'm sure -- provided you've never done a factory reset after installing the jailbreak. Will add that to the first post, my bad :/.

And nope, being able to *try* to launch KUAL (or any Kindlet) isn't related to the JB.

I'll look into downgrade possibilities later, but that doesn't look terribly promising.

As for the usual 'What To Do After An OTA Update' question, the answer is basically to just reinstall your stuff, except for the JB (unless an updated JB is necessary, which happened when 5.4 hit the PW1, for example).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-23-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #1049
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
@Doitsu: I'm sure -- provided you've never done a factory reset after installing the jailbreak. Will add that to the first post, my bad :/.
I'm pretty sure that I've never done a factory reset and all KUAL kindlets were working prior to the firmware update.

Quote:
And nope, being able to *try* to launch KUAL (or any Kindlet) isn't related to the JB.
Is there any other simple test to find out if the Kindle is still jail-broken? (I haven't installed USBNet and other developers' tools, except for Python and MKK, which were required for the KUAL font override.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #1050
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Doitsu: No, installing a custom package is really the best way to check. And a U007 error indeed is the kiss of death in this instance :/.

On the off-chance something wonky happened, try restarting your device, but I'm not hopeful, since that already happened after both the official update and any other failed update attempts.

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch