Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #31
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I'm surprised that the lack of settings works for most of you. Because it's double spaced with large margins, I'm only getting 17 lines per page on a 7 inch screen. I can't deal with that. What are others getting?
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:38 PM   #32
frddgls
Connoisseur
frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.frddgls has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kobo Forma, iPad, Samsung Galaxy A20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I'm surprised that the lack of settings works for most of you. Because it's double spaced with large margins, I'm only getting 17 lines per page on a 7 inch screen. I can't deal with that. What are others getting?
The margins are just the size I like; I don't like to fill every bit of screen with text. I may be reading reading a smaller font size than you are; I get 25 lines to a page on an 8 inch screen. I've read 182 pages of 344 since yesterday afternoon of a book that was on my to-buy list. It's comfortable for me.

I just took a minute to see how the same books looks on my iPod Touch. It syncs nicely and I don`t mind reading on a smaller screen if I`m already caught up in a book. This will come in handy when I want to leave the tablet at home -- or when I don`t notice how low the battery has drained and I want to take my book to bed.
frddgls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #33
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frddgls View Post
The margins are just the size I like; I don't like to fill every bit of screen with text. I may be reading reading a smaller font size than you are; I get 25 lines to a page on an 8 inch screen. I've read 182 pages of 344 since yesterday afternoon of a book that was on my to-buy list. It's comfortable for me.

I just took a minute to see how the same books looks on my iPod Touch. It syncs nicely and I don`t mind reading on a smaller screen if I`m already caught up in a book. This will come in handy when I want to leave the tablet at home -- or when I don`t notice how low the battery has drained and I want to take my book to bed.
25 lines is less than I would like, but much better than 17. I just tried it on my phone and I can't even get a full sentence on a screen. It's five inches so I should get more than that. Here's a screen print of my phone:
Attachment 121869
Old 04-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #34
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

The screen print doesn't seem to have attached properly so here's my phone again and one from my tablet
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397938594258.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	121871Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397938624141.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	121872
Old 04-19-2014, 04:44 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
To me it looks no different than the Kindle Fire I own. I can read on it comfortably. I use a medium font I would says size 4 probably.
The Sans-Serif font is very readable for me. I've been trying to figure what font it is.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #36
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The screen print doesn't seem to have attached properly so here's my phone again and one from my tablet
Attachment 121872
The one on the right is the size I am using too. I use Sepia theme though.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #37
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
To me it looks no different than the Kindle Fire I own. I can read on it comfortably. I use a medium font I would says size 4 probably.
The Sans-Serif font is very readable for me. I've been trying to figure what font it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The one on the right is the size I am using too. I use Sepia theme though.
I guess I'm just picky - you must have to be constantly changing pages though. At least for this book it's giving me left justify instead of full justify. But with a large font full justify can be unreadable so if I can't change it I definitely won't pay for it.

A lot of people seem to want their ebooks to look similar to printed books, and I guess that's why I'm surprised that more people don't have a problem with the double spaced lines. I went back and checked some of my old books and didn't find any double spaced. I do find teeny tiny print I can't read anymore though!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I guess I'm just picky - you must have to be constantly changing pages though. At least for this book it's giving me left justify instead of full justify. But with a large font full justify can be unreadable so if I can't change it I definitely won't pay for it.

A lot of people seem to want their ebooks to look similar to printed books, and I guess that's why I'm surprised that more people don't have a problem with the double spaced lines. I went back and checked some of my old books and didn't find any double spaced. I do find teeny tiny print I can't read anymore though!

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397943695957.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	121873

This is what it looks like on my Nexus 7. I wouldn't mind the line spacing being a little smaller but once I start reading I really don't notice.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #39
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Scribd sounds pretty good to me, especially for the price. Now, can someone tell me how to add some more time to my days so I could read some of them?

Maybe I need to start a new thread, something like "How to Find More Time to Read All of these Wonderful Ebooks that We're Discovering." haha
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #40
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Well, I signed up, even though I don't enjoy reading of a back lit screen. But I figured I give it a try for 90 days. I only have the 2012 8.9 inch Kindle FireHD, so its a bit heavy for reading. I don't have any other tablet. I found the app to be a big laggy. Changing pages is quite jerky, but I get used to it.

The spacing is ok for me, but it doesn't do 2 columns, so its a bit cumbersome to read on a 8.9 screen. I think it would be better on a 7 inch tablet, but I don't have one.

I started reading a book and I am going to stay with it to see what I can get out of this. It really is nice for readers of romance, lots of options there so that is a huge plus for me. I notice I read a lot slower though on my fire than on my e-ink kindle. And again, its so heavy.

We'll see how it goes. Its a nice long enough free time to really give it a trial run.

So thanks for posting that offer.

eta: Just had to add that the app eats my battery like crazy. And that is with wifi off. I barely able to read 25% of the book and it went from 70% to 15%. Wowzer.

Last edited by Atunah; 04-19-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #41
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I've been surprised to find that on a couple of other forums, readers are enjoying Scidb subscriptions. I have been resistant to trying it because of the app, but people that are trying it seem to like the selection and don't mind the app. I may have to give in and do some browsing.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 PM   #42
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Well, it looks totally different on iOS. (iPad and iPod)

I could do without the book title and progress though.

EDIT: I see now what you guys are talking about. I'm still getting a fair lot of text with bigger fonts on the iPad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0010.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	121876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	121877  

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 04-19-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #43
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Double-spaced isn't too horrible, I've read plenty of ebooks done that way. I don't particularly like it, but as long as it's a good book you stop noticing it pretty quickly. Font selection is more of an issue for me, if it's annoying to read it, that doesn't go away and hinders my enjoyment of the book, no matter how good it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Well, it looks totally different on iOS. (iPad and iPod)

I could do without the book title and progress though.

EDIT: I see now what you guys are talking about. I'm still getting a fair lot of text with bigger fonts on the iPad.
That left one's not too bad, although I'd prefer black on white background. Can you change to that, or is it light text on dark background only? For some reason the light-on-dark scheme makes my eyes go blurry after an hour or two so I avoid it. The right's pretty awful, I doubt I could put up with that.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 AM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

They have the same themes as the Kindle app. I use Sepia.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:24 AM   #45
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Well, I signed up, even though I don't enjoy reading of a back lit screen. But I figured I give it a try for 90 days. I only have the 2012 8.9 inch Kindle FireHD, so its a bit heavy for reading. I don't have any other tablet. I found the app to be a big laggy. Changing pages is quite jerky, but I get used to it.

The spacing is ok for me, but it doesn't do 2 columns, so its a bit cumbersome to read on a 8.9 screen. I think it would be better on a 7 inch tablet, but I don't have one.

I started reading a book and I am going to stay with it to see what I can get out of this. It really is nice for readers of romance, lots of options there so that is a huge plus for me. I notice I read a lot slower though on my fire than on my e-ink kindle. And again, its so heavy.

We'll see how it goes. Its a nice long enough free time to really give it a trial run.

So thanks for posting that offer.

eta: Just had to add that the app eats my battery like crazy. And that is with wifi off. I barely able to read 25% of the book and it went from 70% to 15%. Wowzer.
The browsing is what eats the battery because its a pulling high quality book covers. Reading a book doesn't do much draining on my tablets. You do need a 7" tablet. I recommend the Nexus 7 over any Kindle Fire. No lag problems here. I wonder if they didn't optimize the app for a bigger tablet...