Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #136
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by halidak View Post
I flashed my reader back to original firmware 1.1.00.18040 (Since there is no official installer for 1.1.01.25200 I can not update to that, I guess. OR if anyone knows a way to get back to my original firmware (1.1.01.25200) that would be much appreciated.)
Theoretically, if you could find someone else with the .25200 firmware you could ask them to dump their firmware & reflash it on yours, but it's not worth it. What you can now do instead is to mod your own firmware via this thread
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:31 PM   #137
halidak
El-Fakir
halidak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen), Kindle Voyage & Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Theoretically, if you could find someone else with the .25200 firmware you could ask them to dump their firmware & reflash it on yours, but it's not worth it. What you can now do instead is to mod your own firmware via this thread
I agree wıth you; It seems it's not worth the effort. For now I have no complaints with the OLD firmaware. I think it's better to wait for Sony to publish an official installer. Thanks anyway.
halidak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #138
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
I think it's already been raised, but I wonder if it is possible to change not only the default fonts, but their default sizes, also...

I replaced the default serif font with PMN Caecilia, as recommended by Valloric (btw what a wonderful font ! Thanks for the tip), and I find that the default size looks bigger than with the default font.

But I think it's not possible, default size is not embedded in the font file, is it ?

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:50 AM   #139
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
Wonderful guide. I too installed Caecilla and it is awesome!

One question, though. I like the Caecilla font because it reminds me of reading on the kindle. However, when I look at the kindle, there are bigger spaces in between the lines that make it easier to read than on the prs-505. Is there a way to change it, through the font software or some other way?
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #140
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
But I think it's not possible, default size is not embedded in the font file, is it ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
However, when I look at the kindle, there are bigger spaces in between the lines that make it easier to read than on the prs-505. Is there a way to change it, through the font software or some other way?
Both of these depend on the book and not on the font. And I think you can adjust the default font size and line spacing with calibre, but you have to do it for every book.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #141
horseflesh
horseflesh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
It has been asked before. I use the Roman version.
Does the Reader then "fake" the bold, italic, and bold-italic characters as needed? I guess it must, if we are only fiddling with one TTF file.

I found what seems to be a very nice looking free font, Liberation Serif.

http://www.dafont.com/liberation-serif.font

Looks like it was made by Red Hat Linux.
horseflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:05 AM   #142
horseflesh

Oh, I noticed that the Font Creator trial that the PDF links to is up to version 6, which no longer supports saving the font file. I found a site that still has the older 5.6 installer--worked for me and my virus scanner didn't flip out.

http://www.vxdownload.com/Font-Creat...95b7b62904.htm
Old 06-26-2009, 02:43 AM   #143
horseflesh

All done and I like how Liberation Serif looks so I thought I would share a screen shot. I have also attached the modified font file for use with PRSCustomizer. Thanks to Valloric for the guide!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liberationserif.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	31208  
Attached Files
File Type: zip liberationserif-reader.zip (82.9 KB, 355 views)
Old 06-26-2009, 04:02 AM   #144
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
You're right, it looks great ! Thanks for the screenshot, it's very nice to see a font in action ...
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:10 AM   #145
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
Does the Reader then "fake" the bold, italic, and bold-italic characters as needed? I guess it must, if we are only fiddling with one TTF file.
Yes, the LRF files only actually use one font. The italic and the bold are "faked".

The EPUB files use the proper fonts though. It's an entirely different renderer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
Oh, I noticed that the Font Creator trial that the PDF links to is up to version 6, which no longer supports saving the font file.
Crap... this is going to be a problem. I'm going to have to update the guide. I should probably try to find an alternative to Font Creator. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:04 PM   #146
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Ok, I successfully installed caecilia std roman (55). Thank-you for the great walkthrough. I appreciate the effort everyone has put into setting this stuff up.

My issue is that I like to read using the "small" view. In this view I notice that the "darkness" of the font is not as nice as the medium and large views where the beauty of caecilia shows up. I was wondering if anyone has tried a bolder base font like caecilia 75 and whether that looks better in the smaller view? Or alternatively, has anyone replaced the dutch font with a sans-serif font for easier reading at the smaller sizes?
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:10 AM   #147
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Ok, I successfully installed caecilia std roman (55). Thank-you for the great walkthrough. I appreciate the effort everyone has put into setting this stuff up.

My issue is that I like to read using the "small" view. In this view I notice that the "darkness" of the font is not as nice as the medium and large views where the beauty of caecilia shows up. I was wondering if anyone has tried a bolder base font like caecilia 75 and whether that looks better in the smaller view? Or alternatively, has anyone replaced the dutch font with a sans-serif font for easier reading at the smaller sizes?
OK, I tried to reflash the reader using prsc and vera (the non serif version) to see if that would be a better font for me. However, when I open up the books, the font does not seem to have changed - it is still a serif font. Makes me wonder if the font even changed from Dutch to Caecilia in the original flash. PRSC worked though in that all the other customizations are in place. Do you have to reflash back to sony's base firmware before you can use prsc again? Not quite sure where I am goofing up since all the other changes worked well...
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #148
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Do you have to reflash back to sony's base firmware before you can use prsc again?
Yes, you should.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #149
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
More on fonts

Has anyone tried reading up on the science of fonts when deciding which one to use? I know some firms did studies of online fonts and a lot went behind design of digital fonts. Microsoft's fonts were designed by a famed designer for the purpose of looking good on the screen. Let me grab a ref:

http://www.will-harris.com/typoscrn.htm

Quote:
Chuck Bigelow, the co-designer of the Lucida family of typefaces (with Kris Holmes)--suggests several ways to choose type that is easiest to read on-screen. First, he suggests considering sans serif faces for body text. "When printed, the serifs on typefaces are only a tiny percentage of the typeface's design. But on-screen, in order to display the serifs using the limited number of available pixels, they take up a much bigger proportion of the information than they do on a printed page. Serifs should be small things--but on screen they become big--no longer visual cues but noise--distracting chunks of interference."
Personally the font on that site does not special for me. It's readable but not better than average. But Verdana is always very easy & pleasing for me.
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #150
joedevon
Enthusiast
joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.joedevon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
BTW, just tried this out and it seems that now to Save As in FontCreator you need to buy a full version.
joedevon is offline   Reply With Quote