Old 03-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #1
zanzi
zanzi began at the beginning.

Device: none
M92 - zipped ebooks

Hello,

I'm considering buying M92.

I have couple questions to current M92 owners:

1) is it possible to read a zipped pdf's?
2) what if I have say doc, rtf and pdf zipped together? Can M92 read them?
3) how about zipped html ? What if html is zipped with other html's referenced files like other htmls, jpg, css etc?
4) Is battery of M92 replacable?

Thanks in advance for reply!

Zanzi
zanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Why would somebody want to read directly from zipped documents? Is this possible on any OS with any software at all?
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
zanzi

Well, just to avoid unpacking each document.
There are many software that can do it.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

So which software can do that? At the moment, I don't really get the usecase. I don't even know where somebody would get so many zipped documents from that it's too much effort to first unpack them before use.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
It does not make any sense at all to zip any documents to read them on an eBook reader afterwards.

First of all, most documents are already compressed somehow. epub is essentially a compressed archive of .html files, PDF is also heavily compressed text, as is Microsoft's docx format (essentially this is compressed xhtml, as far as I remember).

Zipping a book document such as the above further would not give you any advantages size-wise but only take longer to decompress and thus display.

For example, I just tried compressing as 12.5 MByte PDF document using xz (using the very strong lzma algorithm). I took 5 seconds to compress/decompress on a Intel i5 and got me a document about 500 KByte smaller...
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzi View Post
Well, just to avoid unpacking each document.
There are many software that can do it.

The let the "many software" do it ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
zanzi

I've come across information that doc's and txt's can be read as zipped.
So my question is, does it apply to other formats as well?

Is there anyone who could actually check it on his reader?
Regardless if it's usable or not?

How about the battery? Is it replacable?

cheers
Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
it will read zipped fb2s....

any erader that is sold in fb2 locales will read some zipped files. Pocketbook of course
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Battery is not (easily) replacable. It is not very common feature among ereaders, I guess...
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #10
FDD
Connoisseur
FDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheeseFDD can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mono View Post
Battery is not (easily) replacable. It is not very common feature among ereaders, I guess...
Well, not as easy as a cell phone, but definitely not difficult to do : remove two screw, slide the cover, disconnect the old battery, connect the new one, close and tighten the screws.
I don't know if the battery is a standard one, but it definitely doesn't seem one made just for Onyx. Maybe someone with some experience should give it a look
To me it also looks just like the M90 battery, but I don't have one, I just checked a few pictures on the web.
FDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Well, easy is sort of relative term.

I remember desperate guy, who was not able to get into m92. He wanted just to disconect the battery to make a reset. No, success in getting in...

But OK, if one knows how to open M92 and does not mind he might void the warranty then the battery is replacable.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #12
paco_lch
paco_lch began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
So which software can do that? At the moment, I don't really get the usecase. I don't even know where somebody would get so many zipped documents from that it's too much effort to first unpack them before use.
Instead of answering the question some people start to hypothesize...
paco_lch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #13
tuxor
Addict

It's definitely necessary to get more information in this case. Otherwise the answers won't yield the expected information. If I ask you whether it's possible to eat bread that's wrapped in plastic you would also wonder what's the point. And if you would answer the question without asking for more information first, your answer would probably be: Yes you can eat the bread, if you remove the plastic first.

So my answers for zanzi would respectively be:
1. Yes you can, if you unpack the pdf first on the pc.
2. Yes, like in 1.
3. Yes, you don't even have to unzip those first: I guess you are talking about Epub, which is zipped html with jpegs and css files.
4. Officially no.

I guess that's not what he expected. But to be honest I still don't know what he is actually talking about. Reading zipped pdfs? Never heard of such a thing.

Last edited by tuxor; 03-20-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #14
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_lch View Post
What do you expect when no one has the slightest idea what he wants to do with it?
Seems to be common courtesy to stae a purpose if you expect to get help ...
Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
ignacio ferrer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_lch View Post
What do you expect when no one has the slightest idea what he wants to do with it?
Seems to be common courtesy to state a purpose if you expect to get help ...