Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #46
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If I understand correctly, what the FBReader developers object to is that RAR archiving is not open source. So unrar will decode rar archives, but there is no way to create a rar archive using open source code.

One of the better features of open source projects is that they are free not to support anything they don't want to. This is sometimes frustrating for users, but on balance it is a good thing.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If I understand correctly, what the FBReader developers object to is that RAR archiving is not open source. So unrar will decode rar archives, but there is no way to create a rar archive using open source code.

One of the better features of open source projects is that they are free not to support anything they don't want to. This is sometimes frustrating for users, but on balance it is a good thing.
this is a much different answer than you gave last time.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #48
ebook_novice
ebook_novice began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen 3, iPhone (eReader)
Hi All,

I am a brand newy to all this ereader stuff and understand very little (Very impressive compelation of other ereader, but went straight over my head).

I am in Australia and at the moment the only ereader that i can find is the irex iLiad 2nd ed which can be posted from the US (this is roughly the same price for me to buy the 1st here in oz so i was just going straight for the 2nd ed). I was just wondering about people's thoughts on the ease of use of the iLiad, eg getting stuff from net to reader (is it through a computer?) and the battery life. Whilst it is still a little pricey, i am willing to pay due the the fact that i am an avid reader and i have just strated a new job with lots of travelling and pdf's to read. Are the pdf's, especially scientific papers easy to read on the iLiad?

Thanks for any help.

Cheers
novice
ebook_novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If PDFs are important to you, then yes, the iLiad is the best choice to make. If you want to read fiction, you can do so for a lot less money with the CyBook Gen3, or the Sony Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #50
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebook_novice View Post
I am in Australia and at the moment the only ereader that i can find is the irex iLiad 2nd ed which can be posted from the US (this is roughly the same price for me to buy the 1st here in oz so i was just going straight for the 2nd ed). I was just wondering about people's thoughts on the ease of use of the iLiad, eg getting stuff from net to reader (is it through a computer?) and the battery life. Whilst it is still a little pricey, i am willing to pay due the the fact that i am an avid reader and i have just strated a new job with lots of travelling and pdf's to read. Are the pdf's, especially scientific papers easy to read on the iLiad?
The iLiad is definitely your best bet for scientific papers in PDF (try searching the iLiad forum for scientific and medical). Battery life is about 15 hours, and you connect the iLiad to any computer via USB to copy files to the iLiad (internal memory, or CF card, etcetera). It can also read from a USB stick, although I have never used this capability. I have not found the WiFi to be usable (i.e. to avoid the need for a desktop computer for downloads), because its web browsers are not yet very good.

Dymocks sells the Iliad, and I assume this is the 2nd edition, see Iliad now available from Dymocks $899 Aus.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:12 AM   #51
ebook_novice

ok, so i have a bit more choice now

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If PDFs are important to you, then yes, the iLiad is the best choice to make. If you want to read fiction, you can do so for a lot less money with the CyBook Gen3, or the Sony Reader.

The main thing the reader is for is fiction, with PDF being a second (although a close second). And with being a second, the price difference between the iLiad and the others becomes larger. Does anybody know how well the Cybook or the Sony reader go in viewing PDFs, are they good, passable or not good?

Also the other readers of the CyBook and the Sony reader, they say they take mobipocket format ebooks. Does this mean that any ebook store online that says a book is in mobipocket format can be used and read on these devices. When i was looking up the Sony reader i thought it said that the only books that could be read on it were from the sony online bookshop and then the bookshop said was only downloadable in the US. though i may be wrong

Thanks for all the help
Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

The main thing the reader is for is fiction, with PDF being a second (although a close second). And with being a second, the price difference between the iLiad and the others becomes larger. Does anybody know how well the Cybook or the Sony reader go in viewing PDFs, are they good, passable or not good?
They are fine when reading PDFs correctly formatted for the 6" screen size of the device. They are pretty bad when reading A4/Letter sized PDFs - pretty obvious given the fact that they have a screen which has approximately 1/6th the area of an A4 sheet.

Quote:
Also the other readers of the CyBook and the Sony reader, they say they take mobipocket format ebooks. Does this mean that any ebook store online that says a book is in mobipocket format can be used and read on these devices. When i was looking up the Sony reader i thought it said that the only books that could be read on it were from the sony online bookshop and then the bookshop said was only downloadable in the US. though i may be wrong
The CyBook supports MobiPocket; the Sony does not.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But there are EASY ways of converting from Mobipocket and MS Reader into LRF that the 500/505 can display
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:33 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But there are EASY ways of converting from Mobipocket and MS Reader into LRF that the 500/505 can display
... which may or may not be legal to use, according to where you live.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:55 AM   #55
ebook_novice

Smile thanks all

I have had a look, and i have decided on the CyBook (Thanks Harry). I have ordered it today so will be here in a coulpe of weeks.

Are you able to tell me if the Cybooks are able to take all the formats on fictionwise; and if not, which ones do i avoid when buying.

Cheers
Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #56
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Are you able to tell me if the Cybooks are able to take all the formats on fictionwise; and if not, which ones do i avoid when buying.
With FictionWise multi-format books you get all the formats for one price, and can download a different format later if you get a new reading device. If you want simplicity, then only buy multi-format or Secure MobiPocket e-books for your Cybook. Download the .PRC (MobiPocket) version of multi-format e-books. It is also possible to buy Secure Microsoft Reader (LIT) e-books, if you have a Windows PC, and convert them to DRM-free MOBI (where format shifting a DRM protected file is legal). If an e-book is only available in eReader format, this can probably be converted to DRM-free MOBI too - but the longest and best track record belongs to the LIT to MOBI approach. NEVER buy Secure Adobe Reader e-books.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM   #57
esperanc
esperanc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Using Mobipocket in Linux

I was considering getting a Cybook so that I could purchase ebooks in Mobipocket format. Since these are DRM'd, I expect I will have to use some proprietary software to download it to the Cybook and this will probably run only on Windows. Is this correct? Or will I be able to buy and put it in my reader using my Linux box?
esperanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #58
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanc View Post
I was considering getting a Cybook so that I could purchase ebooks in Mobipocket format. Since these are DRM'd, I expect I will have to use some proprietary software to download it to the Cybook and this will probably run only on Windows. Is this correct? Or will I be able to buy and put it in my reader using my Linux box?
Cybook does not require Windows. The id of the reader, obtained from the about screen, can be entered into the web site where you purchase the book and then you can just mount the reader via usb to move the file over.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #59
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Cybook does not require Windows. The id of the reader, obtained from the about screen, can be entered into the web site where you purchase the book and then you can just mount the reader via usb to move the file over.

Dale
That being said, if you want to use the Mobipocket Reader or Creator software, they are Windows only (according to the user manual). Not a deal breaker, but it's good to know
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #60
ebook_novice

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It is also possible to buy Secure Microsoft Reader (LIT) e-books, if you have a Windows PC, and convert them to DRM-free MOBI (where format shifting a DRM protected file is legal). If an e-book is only available in eReader format, this can probably be converted to DRM-free MOBI too.
How is this done, through which programme? And is it legal in Australia?

Also which version of mobipocket reader do people recommmend, version 6.1 or beta?