Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Kindle for Iphone 1.1 released

I just received word that Amazon released an updated Kindle app for the Iphone. There were no reported bug fixes (I'm not sure there were any bugs to fix), but they did add new features.

Quote:
NEW Features:
· Read in portrait or landscape mode
· Pinch to zoom images in books
· Select alternate background and text colors to improve
reading comfort in low light conditions.
· Tap on either side of the screen or flick to turn pages
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
akira28
Nameless Being

Still a flawed and useless application

The bug I reported to Amazon is still there: the pages are not anchored as they should be or as they are in every other iPod reading application I have tried. Moving a finger across the screen (not a "flick") moves the page left or right which can not be disabled. This action makes the application useless to me.

Last edited by akira28; 05-20-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Big improvement, moved me to go ahead and get ipod touch for my girlfriend so she can share in my collection.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The current monthly cost of an iPhone is just too high for me. I'm hearing rumors of lower cost plans, and I'd like a reader I can carry in my pocket, so hopefully in the future...
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
The current monthly cost of an iPhone is just too high for me. I'm hearing rumors of lower cost plans, and I'd like a reader I can carry in my pocket, so hopefully in the future...
You are aware that the Amazon app runs on the iPod Touch as well as the iPhone, right? No service plan with an iPod Touch.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
You are aware that the Amazon app runs on the iPod Touch as well as the iPhone, right? No service plan with an iPod Touch.
Yes, I know. I thought about getting a iPod Touch, but right now my current phone plays all my music, and I guess I just don't want to carry around two devices.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
These are great improvements. I have been reading a lot more lately on my iPod Touch, and really did miss the "tap to turn" page feature found on other applications.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
A little bit off topic:

I was very tempted to get an iPod Touch and Stanza on it, but for the price and the fact that you need wireless just put me off.

Didn't Amazon buy Stanza? Could this 1.1 be an integration of Stanza features? Or why should Amazon want two separate apps?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
True, but you still need wifi to get books and it's not nearly as available as EDGE/3G, at least where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Hmm, never really had this problem. I got the older iPhone (EDGE only) and iPhone plan for that is $20/mo (unlimited internet, 200 text messages). Since I already had a qualifying AT&T Family Talk and I actually had a similar media plan for my old phone, I just had to pay the same monthly plan as I did before I got an iPhone. That's one of the reasons I didn't switch to 3G even if I was qualified for the $200 refund if I swap my iPhone for a 3G version. The 3G would have cost me $360 more in two years because of the add'l monthly service fees. That's still $160 after refund.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Stanza works well on my iPhone but sometimes, my fault, I get a brightness change instead of page swipe.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
True, but you still need wifi to get books and it's not nearly as available as EDGE/3G, at least where I live.
You might want to check out Sprint's new MiFi device, that goes on sale on June 1. It's a tiny credit-card size device with an EVDO Rev.A radio that creates a portable Wifi hotspot that can be shared with up to 5 devices simultaneously.

I'm snagging one at 8:01 am on June 1 to use with my iPod Touch.

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post
You might want to check out Sprint's new MiFi device, that goes on sale on June 1. It's a tiny credit-card size device with an EVDO Rev.A radio that creates a portable Wifi hotspot that can be shared with up to 5 devices simultaneously.

El
Uh, I think one of the reasons people opt for the iPod Touch instead of the iPhone is the monthly service fee (or lack thereof). If you're already paying a cellphone bill and an internet bill (Cable/DSL/FiOS), paying an extra $60/month for 5GB isn't really sounding like a good idea.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #13
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Moving a finger across the screen (not a "flick") moves the page left or right which can not be disabled. This action makes the application useless to me.
Have you considered, perhaps, not doing that? It might solve the problem.

The improvements on the application are nice. They are no where near the level of sophistication that you get with other ereader apps on the iPhone, like ereader pro, though. ereader pro allows full custom setttings for background color, text color, font and font size.. and it has autoscroll. I wish that Amazon had done more with this revision, but at least they've done the bare minimum for me to actually use it. I still find the font hard to read but at least I can get white text on black background, which makes for much easier reading especially at night.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoglick View Post

El
<hijack>

I saw that in an inflight magazine (www.novatelwireless.com). Please post how it works for you.

My main concern is battery life for the MiFi. I use a broadband wireless card with an unlimited plan for my laptop and can share the signal with a bit of hoop jumping. It is powered by the laptop, so I'm not sure if the MiFi is worth it for me but it sure sounds cool.

</hijack>
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Have you considered, perhaps, not doing that? It might solve the problem.
Some folks use finger following to read, where they move their finger under each line. I don't, but can appreciate how it makes the Kindle app less than stellar for them.

For me, I'm glad they've added tap to switch pages. I prefer my Sony Reader, but the Kindle app is great for reading in a pinch when I don't have my reader with me.
BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote