Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
logley
logley began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Sending LRF's to PRS-505

If I have a book in Calibre, in two formats (say .lit and .lrf), and I send the book to the PRS-505, Calibre sends BOTH formats to the device, rather than just the .lrf book.

The book started off in just .lit format, and I used Cailbre to convert the book to .lrf.

Is there a way to ONLY send the .lrf format book, if Calibre lists multiple versions of the book.

Regards

Lee.
logley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre should only be sending the LRF format, if it's sending both its a bug. Can you tell us what version of calibre you are using and on what operating system.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
logley

Calibre 0.4.136
Windows XP Pro SP3

Lee.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by logley View Post
Calibre 0.4.136
Windows XP Pro SP3

Lee.
SP3 ate my computer. Now I have a new computer! GOOD LUCK!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm works for me. Incidentally, how do you know its sending both formats?
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 03:39 AM   #6
logley

I transfered two books to the device. I then browsed the device using Windows Explorer. Within the Calibre directory on the SD card, the card had both the .lit and .lrf versions of the book.

Regards

Lee.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

How did you transfer the book? By clicking send to device or save to disk?
Old 02-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
kevin_boone
Enthusiast
kevin_boone began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I've noticed that I can send the same book to my PRS-505 multiple times. I wonder if the present problem is related? To be honest, I didn't think of this as a defect -- I just assumed that it was supposed to work that way. I got in the habit of deleting old versions on my 505 before sending new ones.

I've only noticed this problem when I've actually updated the Calibre library and re-sent the updated books. So I wonder if what's happened is that you've added a book in .lit format and then sent a batch of books to the device (including that one) then added it in .prs format and sent the same batch again? Of course, I don't know if Calibre will even attempt to send a .lit book -- I don't think it will, without conversion. So I don't know, either. But I have noticed the same file being installed on the PRS multiple times.
kevin_boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre allows you to send the same book multiple times. THe idea being that if you update the conversion, you might want the new file. calibre hasa listof supported formats for each device and only sends those. I'm guessing hte OP used Save to disk rather than Send to device
Old 02-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
kevin_boone
Enthusiast
kevin_boone began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre allows you to send the same book multiple times. THe idea being that if you update the conversion, you might want the new file. calibre hasa listof supported formats for each device and only sends those. I'm guessing hte OP used Save to disk rather than Send to device
Fair enough. Personally, I can't really think of occasions where I'd want to keep multiple copies on the PRS, but it's not a biggie. The only slightly tricksy point is that (so far as I can tell) they end up with the same title on the PRS, so you have to sort by date to see which is the most recent.
kevin_boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
olddumbguy
olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC EVO, iPad, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-700, Ipod Touch
I've been having the same problem and it drove me nuts.

I have the PRS 505 and I've been using a version about a month old. I would transfer the files directly to the device and end up with both copies.

Today I received a new PRS 700 and downloaded the new version of Calibre and tried again and it seems to be working ok (only transferring the LRF).
olddumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
I use Calibre to send books to both 505 and 700, I cannot recreate this problem. It sends the lrf only. It would be good, at some point, to have a choice between lrf and epub. I have few books in both lit and lrf, sent them to readers, no lit transfered.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #13
olddumbguy
olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.olddumbguy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC EVO, iPad, Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-700, Ipod Touch
I've recently re-installed windows and installed the newest (as of yesterday) version of Calibre, and it is not happening with me anymore. But I can verify this is a real problem I experienced with my last setup.
olddumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
ulsterfry
eBook addict
ulsterfry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 SC
Having the same problems :-( ... Windows XP Professional SP2 and Calibre 0.4.137 .... several copies of .lrf or .epub ( same book) placed on 505... I'm uncertain in which directories they should go but I have to go in with Windows Explorer to find and remove the surplus copies otherwise I have multiple books in the index.
Best regards

Ray
ulsterfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterfry View Post
Having the same problems :-( ... Windows XP Professional SP2 and Calibre 0.4.137 .... several copies of .lrf or .epub ( same book) placed on 505... I'm uncertain in which directories they should go but I have to go in with Windows Explorer to find and remove the surplus copies otherwise I have multiple books in the index.
Best regards

Ray
what button are you clicking to put them on the device?