Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Dictionary Conversion Failure?

I'm not fond of the built in dictionary that came with the Kindle. I wanted to make use of the option to use another dictionary but most that I'm interested in are not yet available for Kindle.

pilotbob wanted to experiment with an existing Mobi dictionary in a post here. Then wallcraft mentioned instructions on converting a DRM free Encarta Pocket dictionary in a post here.

I tried to kill 2 birds with one stone by learning how to convert files and hopefully having an alternate dictionary for my Kindle.

Some of the links on the page on how to convert the LIT dictionary are no longer good, so I actually went a different route which may be the problem. BTW, I running Vista on my laptop.

- I downloaded the book in LIT from Microsoft.
- I had to Google search to find the clit2.zip file.
- The Mobipocket Publisher Personal Edition seems to no longer exist as I keep getting a page that says "Looking for Something" where ever I try to download. I decided that Mobipocket Creator must be it's replacement.
- I couldn't figure out how to do the clit2 thing (that's weird to type), so I downloaded the ABC Amber LIT Converter to turn the LIT file into an HTM file.
- Then I opened the HTM file in Mobipocket Creator and converted it into a PRC file.
- I both emailed the PRC file and USB transfered it to my Kindle documents folder. I couldn't figure out where else the file would go.

Neither version of the file behaves like a dictionary. Nothing is clickable, it's just a book page. When I open up the Kindle settings to change the default dictionary, the new one isn't even offered as an option.

The only way I can use it, is through a global search which is not very useful.

Either I've totally screwed something up or this is why Merriam-Webster says Amazon has to make some software changes before their dictionary will work on the Kindle.

Any suggestions?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
When you made it, did you set out to make, a dictionary or a book? In MobiCreator, there is a certain button to click to make a dictionary.

Also, I wouldn't send the dictionary to the Kindle's email. The automagic conversion might remove the dictionary tags.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I set out to make a dictionary and not a book. The file I transfered via a USB reacted the same as the one I send by email.

Now I see the link for the dictionary on the left side. I'll try it again. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

It still doesn't work.

This time I used the same HTM file, clicked the Personal Dictionary/Glossary link on the left side and told it to convert. I opened the finish product in the Mobi Desktop reader and it looked more dictionary-like. I dragged and dropped the ebook (18,569KB) and MPB files into the documents folder of my Kindle. The results are the same, it's just a book and not offered as a choice of Dictionaries in settings.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You need to use special tags in the source HTML to make a dictionary.
See here:
http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...mpleDictionary
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You need to use special tags in the source HTML to make a dictionary.
See here:
http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...mpleDictionary
My eyes just exploded.

This may be more of a project than I'm willing to take on as a first time conversion. Thanks for the link. Now, I have to go glue my eyes back together.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why cannot Mobipocket make it simple to make a dictionary?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:16 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It doesn't look outrageously hard; the required format for the source file is fully documented. It's clearly intended, though, for "programmatic" generation, not writing by hand. Shouldn't be too hard to knock up a little program in pretty much any programming language to write the required file from a text file of words and definitions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is a python script, tab2opf.py, for tab delimited dictionary files, see How to create your own mobipocket dictionary for any language:.

The LIT Encarta dictionary converted to MOBI works as a conventional dictionary (open the ebook, navigate to the page with the definition), but does not support lookup because it does not have the needed MOBI tags. I don't know if MS Reader even has a lookup capability, but if so it is keying on different tags in the file.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I took a little break from this project and will try again in the next couple of days. One thing I realized is that I never let the Kindle index the dictionary before I gave up on it as "just a book". So, I'm going to load it onto my Kindle again, let it index and decide where to go from there.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions so far. I'm sure I'll be back for more.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

After giving the Kindle a day to index the dictionary is still was only recognized as a book. I decided to start over with the converted html file and it seems that is the problem. The html file did not convert properly with the ABC Lit2thml software. None of the links in the html document work. So now I'm off to find a better converter.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
After giving the Kindle a day to index the dictionary is still was only recognized as a book. I decided to start over with the converted html file and it seems that is the problem. The html file did not convert properly with the ABC Lit2thml software. None of the links in the html document work. So now I'm off to find a better converter.
Use mobi creator. It is a free download from mobi's web site.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Use mobi creator. It is a free download from mobi's web site.

Dale
That's what I've been using to convert the file from html to prc.

From my first post in the thread:
Quote:
Then I opened the HTM file in Mobipocket Creator and converted it into a PRC file.
If Mobi Creator is able to take a lit file directly, I haven't been able to see how to do it. Is there a desktop lit reader so I can see the file in it's native form for comparison?

Edit: Duh, nevermind about the reader for lit files, I just remembered that it's Microsoft Reader. There are way too many formats for me to remember. And now after seeing the dictionary in all it's glory, I don't think it's that great. I like the one that comes with the Kindle better. I still want to play with this file for practice but won't make myself crazy over it.

Thanks again all for your input and suggestions.

Last edited by daffy4u; 06-26-2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Brain fog has lifted.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 AM   #14
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Here's my 6 Step tutorial on how to convert free Encarta LIT dictionaries to Mobipocket: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32887.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote