Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #16
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
Since I'm visiting mobileread regularly (of course !), I took another quick video in english, just for you guys
If you have any further questions, just ask.
Thanks for doing this again in English I would like to know whether the Evernote app has the same functionality as the T2 version, and what can the Facebook app do?
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 AM   #17
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Thanks from me too. Its helped me to decide not to replace my PRS-650 and Kobo.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 04:17 AM   #18
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Another thanks for doing a review in English. I've watched your video reviews before, but it was nice to understand every word for a change.

All in all a very nice device, but the lack of a built-in light means there'll be no e-reader shopping this time either. My trusty 950 will have to do until a device comes along which is somewhat closer to perfection.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:54 AM   #19
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
I'm the one who took the video. Thanks for commenting!

Since I'm visiting mobileread regularly (of course !), I took another quick video in english, just for you guys

It's a little shorter, but overall shows the same things. Please ignore any grammar mistakes I made (and the accent :P) - I'm not used to speak english

If you have any further questions, just ask.
Thanks very much for the video. You've made me even more sure that I'll get it when it finally arrives in Australia.

One question though: does it use ADE 1 or ADE 2? ADE 2 does hyphenation, which is far more important to me than a front light.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:58 AM   #20
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
A big thank you for doing the review in English. It is very helpful when trying to decide which ereader to buy. Is there any possibility you could review the Kobo Aura 6"?
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #21
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
I too thank you for the review in English. I doubt the physical T3 will ever be seen in retail stores in my area, so your video was very much appreciated.

Sony have been sorely lacking in their Reader advertising and physical presence in the marketplace all along. I haven't seen one in the retail stores in over 2 years when Best Buy had the T1. And if I had blinked, I probably wouldn't have seen it there either. That's how quickly it vanished, never to be seen again.

I've had several Sony Readers but I've never seen another one being used in the wild. Truth be told, I've never seen anyone using a Kindle in the wild either. Or any other brand of eReader for that matter.

Anyway, it looks to me like Sony was trying to duplicate the cover design of the Kindle PW, which is a very nice cover IMO. But they've made a shorter spine hinge so that it sort of flops around when folded back (as shown in the video) unlike the PW cover. Also, the inside lining of the front cover of the Sony looks very much like the lining in the Sony lighted cover I have for the T1. Not really foam, although it has a *slight* spongy quality to it. It DOES clean up very well with a dampened microfiber cloth though. Still not of the quality of past incarnations of Sony brand covers.

I'm still not sure how I feel about the T3 though. Like many others, I think I'll wait for actual owner reviews and their personal experience with the model.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #22
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcroy View Post
Thanks for doing this again in English I would like to know whether the Evernote app has the same functionality as the T2 version, and what can the Facebook app do?
The Everynote-App is the same as with the PRS-T2 Version 1.0.05. You can save websites or send documents to your Evernote account, which will synchronize the contents with the PRS-T3. It's a pretty neat feature, same as Pocket (Read it Later) and Send To Kindle.

With the Facebook option, you can share quotes of an eBook on Facebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
A big thank you for doing the review in English. It is very helpful when trying to decide which ereader to buy. Is there any possibility you could review the Kobo Aura 6"?
I will - as soon as I get one I already asked for a review unit, but didn't get any response. So I' guess, I'll have to wait for it to be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
One question though: does it use ADE 1 or ADE 2? ADE 2 does hyphenation, which is far more important to me than a front light.
Yes, it uses hyphenation.
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #23
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Just asked this in another thread, but do you feel the front of the cover is perhaps a little flimsy and won't offer that much protection to the screen?

That is one of the bits you missed from the English version of your video (thanks for doing that second version for all us non-German speakers!). I can see you flexing the front of the cover in the first video review, but don't know what you are saying about it?!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
nutsheart
nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One, Huawei MediaPd M3
prs-t3 contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Most interesting for me is that he claims that the contrast of the T3 is slightly lower than that of the T2, i.e. that the background is slightly, but noticeably darker. Whether or not that is merely a difference between two individual screens remains to be seen.

If it turns out to be true in general, then I'm out. While a front light is nice, it's no must for me, but I am not going to settle for a worse screen.

The screen, for me, is the most important feature, after that comes stability and usabilty of the software, then build quality. The ability to read EPUBs is also nice (even though I own a PW now, in terms of reading experience I actually prefer the non front-lit T2 screen).

Matt
I got my Sony PRS-T3 today, first impression is very good. To my eyes the background is slightly whiter than that of Paperwhite and Kobo Glo, and significantly whiter that Kobo Aura HD's (the screen of my Aura HD is almost dark gray, really dissappointed in there...).
nutsheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #25
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
Quote:
... Yes, it uses hyphenation.
Thanks for the video review! Very helpful.

With the hyphenation, can you turn it on and off, or is hyphenation always on?
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Just asked this in another thread, but do you feel the front of the cover is perhaps a little flimsy and won't offer that much protection to the screen?
The cover is eerily similar to the Aura HD cover, the front and spine at least.

Sony's implementation of the front and back should provide excellent protection. Where they seem to differ is the spine, although they look similar, Kobo's is not as flexible and doesn't "wander."
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #27
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsheart View Post
I got my Sony PRS-T3 today, first impression is very good. To my eyes the background is slightly whiter than that of Paperwhite and Kobo Glo, and significantly whiter that Kobo Aura HD's (the screen of my Aura HD is almost dark gray, really dissappointed in there...).
How is the screen when compared to the front lit devices with the light set at the "sweet spot" that gives you a nearly white screen without looking as though it has a light at all? If a non lit device has a super high contrast screen like this, then I would happily buy it.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #28
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
Thanks for the video review! Very helpful.

With the hyphenation, can you turn it on and off, or is hyphenation always on?
Hyphenation is always ON. No option to turn it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

That is one of the bits you missed from the English version of your video (thanks for doing that second version for all us non-German speakers!). I can see you flexing the front of the cover in the first video review, but don't know what you are saying about it?!
The cover certainly offers some protection. The flimsy handling I meantion is only relevant when you flip the cover. Holding it on the backside doesn't feel very good, as it's moving around too much when not holding the device tight enough.

Closed = very nice
Opened= not so nice
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #29
nutsheart
nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!nutsheart is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura One, Huawei MediaPd M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
How is the screen when compared to the front lit devices with the light set at the "sweet spot" that gives you a nearly white screen without looking as though it has a light at all? If a non lit device has a super high contrast screen like this, then I would happily buy it.
You certainly get a whiter background with frontlighted devices than on Sony T3. For me the light ruins the reading experience being too obvious and distracting so I don't like to use it. I have been reading a while this evening with my new Sony reader and I love it. The screen is just beautiful.
nutsheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #30
Lyn2012
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutsheart View Post
You certainly get a whiter background with frontlighted devices than on Sony T3. For me the light ruins the reading experience being too obvious and distracting so I don't like to use it. I have been reading a while this evening with my new Sony reader and I love it. The screen is just beautiful.
Thank you for sharing your experience with the T3. I'm glad you are enjoying your new ereader. For me, it looks as though I will be staying with a front lit device as I really like more contrast, but only as long as you can't even tell the light is on.