Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
javyn
Enthusiast
javyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Light for Nook Simple Touch

Hey all,

I have a Nook ST which I love, but am getting really frustrated getting an acceptable book light for it.

What would you guys recommend?

I have tried the Nook Light by BN, not nearly bright enough for bed time reading.

I tried the "Kandle for Kindle", not bright enough for the bottom of the page/screen.

I then got two of the Mighty Bright "MiniFlex" one of which is wonderful! The one my gf ended up getting fits the bill, but the one I ended up with has an LED that is just way too dim to use...I've been through 3 battery changes with it, with the LED going from great to too dim in about 30 minutes. My gf is still on her first set of batteries and going strong.

What do you guys use as a light?
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I use the Nook Stella light, and I personally am happy with it, but you'd probably have to see one to decide if it would work for your preferences. The folks at B&N let me open the box and check it out before buying.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With all these book lights you're buying, perhaps it would be easier simply to replace your nook ST with the nook Glo with its built-in light?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
javyn
Enthusiast
javyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks Harry, I've had such bad luck with dim LED lights, last thing I want to do is end up with a lemon Nook Glo.

I got this Nook ST refurb anyway for about 70 dollars, and haven't spent too much on lights, I've been able to return most of them.

I just ordered another Mighty Bright MiniFlex, if it's dim I will just return and rebuy until I have a good one. Amazon's pretty good about returns.
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I use an M-Edge e-luminator. I prefer it for a couple reasons, although I liked the 1st generation light better. First, it uses 1 AAA battery, so they are easily replaceable and I can use a rechargeable battery. Second, it doesn't clip to the device or cover, but slides between the nook and cover. Third, it has 3 brightness settings and shuts off automatically after an hour (with a warning first to prevent if necessary.)

The first generation light had a longer neck and was a little more adjustable, but I'm used to the new one now.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
I tried the "Kandle for Kindle", not bright enough for the bottom of the page/screen.
I'm guessing you have a Kandle I? I have a Kandle II from Amazon and it is QUITE bright. I usually use the lower of the two settings. It has 3 LEDs... does yours have 2 or 3?

From reading Amazon reviews my impression is that the Kandle II fixed all of the complaints with the Kandle I. There's also the Kandle Flex.

No, I don't work for them, I just like it a lot on my NST.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I use an M-Edge e-luminator. I prefer it for a couple reasons, although I liked the 1st generation light better. First, it uses 1 AAA battery, so they are easily replaceable and I can use a rechargeable battery. Second, it doesn't clip to the device or cover, but slides between the nook and cover. Third, it has 3 brightness settings and shuts off automatically after an hour (with a warning first to prevent if necessary.)

The first generation light had a longer neck and was a little more adjustable, but I'm used to the new one now.
I use the M-edge too. I love it! I have one for my Kindle, Nook and Sony T1. Works great for all of them!
S
P.S. I use rechargeable batteries in mine.
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote