Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #376
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Problem of the ATIV keyboard is that, in order to make the unit stable and allow the tablet to be held securely by the added keyboard (and not fall over), they had to make the keyboard heavy and limit the opening angle. I'd like to try out the new Lenovo Helix that possibly has a better solution.

Call me strange, but I can not use the Ativ without a mouse (to be precise, my Kensington slimblade trackball that is about half the size or weight of the Ativ) ... haven't managed yet to use Windows without right-click...

So it's good that the unit has a number of USB slots, for external hard drives and mouses...

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #377
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Problem of the ATIV keyboard is that, in order to make the unit stable and allow the tablet to be held securely by the added keyboard (and not fall over), they had to make the keyboard heavy and limit the opening angle. I'd like to try out the new Lenovo Helix that possibly has a better solution.
Yes, that's quite right Andy. Although in real world practice I have not found it to be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Call me strange, but I can not use the Ativ without a mouse (to be precise, my Kensington slimblade trackball that is about half the size or weight of the Ativ) ... haven't managed yet to use Windows without right-click...

So it's good that the unit has a number of USB slots, for external hard drives and mouses...

Best regards,
Andy
When used with the keyboard attached, there is the trackpad (I just HATE trackpads!) which in addition to having right and left buttons, is also optimized for Win8 gestures. When using it in tablet mode the button on the SPen functions as a right click. Also a long press sometimes acts like a right click, but I find that to be somewhat less than reliable.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #378
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
That's what I meant:
Most users have/want a cover anyway.
With the solution for Surface (both, Pro & RT), you can do so and you even have a keyboard with you all the time.
To me, that's the only option for transportation.
I see what you mean and I do like MS' solution for a cover, though not for a keyboard, whoch does not actually matter since I hardly ever use a keyboard anyway.
Quote:
For your needs, Asus VivoTab Smart would have been a viable solution.
Not for mine, I did not want an Atom processor.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #379
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
When used with the keyboard attached, there is the trackpad (I just HATE trackpads!) which in addition to having right and left buttons, is also optimized for Win8 gestures. When using it in tablet mode the button on the SPen functions as a right click. Also a long press sometimes acts like a right click, but I find that to be somewhat less than reliable.
Yes, but the trackpad only has (is) one button ... and I can not live without the second button...
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #380
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
My personal verdict

I've been in Spain for almost 2 weeks.
I had to/wanted to travel light.

I had considered to take with me:

Kindle Fire HD:
Amazon is my main source for eBooks, followed by Kobo and B&N. I have to use VPN for B&N and sometimes that's simply too bothersome.
I had considered Kindle Paperwhite. But as I decided to travel light, I decided for multi-purpose units, not mere readers. Instead, I thought about Kindle Fire HD 7". I like it a lot, for now prefer it over Nexus 7 for example. But eventually I decided against it. I can read my Kindle books on all other tablets as well, so there's not actual need for a dedicated Amazon unit.

iPad mini:
I prefer the form factor of iPad mini (no curved edges) over the bigger iPads. Rumor has it, iPad 5 will have the same design. Then I'll certainly buy one again.
I'm rarely using iPad mini at home. I like it a lot. But to me, iOS is too limited. It's a great gadget, but not a "productive" tool. I don't find any feature on iPad, I can't use on other devices as well.
It would have been compact and mobile enough as a second unit, but eventually I decided against it as well.

So it was clear:
I'll only take 1 tablet with me (additionally to iPhone 4S, Nokia Lumia 920 and my "permanent travel companion" MacBook Air).
For now, it had to be a Windows 8 tablet.

Surface RT:
I love it. Design, features - all great.
But as a sole unit too limited.

So I had to decide between Dell Latitude 10 and Microsoft Surface Pro. (I've sold my Asus VivoTab Smart, because I absolutely hated the update procedure via the Asus tools).

Surface Pro:
I want to love it. But I find, I don't use it very often.
It's great and delivers all it did promise.
Still: It's really heavy and bulky...

Latitude 10:
So far, I've found a single Windows 8 program, that didn't work: Bluestacks app player. It works nicely on Surface Pro. But do I really need Android apps on a Windows 8 tablet? Of course, I don't! I had to test it once, of course. But there's no actual need for it.
So basically, Latitude 10 can do all that Surface Pro or Windows 8 Ultrabooks can do.
It's light enough. The rubberised back is extremely convenient to hold. I don't really need the WACOM pen, but it's nice to have it. There's no fan and no heat, due to the ATOM processor.

Meaning:
I really like, what Microsoft has done with both Surface tablets.
The design of both is very well thought out, so I guess for now there's simply no technical solution to make Surface Pro a bit lighter or less bulky.
Surface Pro definitely is workable easy enough. But if I have to bother about my luggage, it's critical.
For now, as I often have to consider space and weight, Dell Latitude 10 is my favorite Windows 8 tablet.
The performance (for my needs, I'm not into high-end games) is more than adequate.
The design is a bit less "valuable" than Microsoft Surface (Pro & RT) or iPad, but to me certainly more appealing than Asus, Acer or Samsung.

BTW: Spain has been great. What a country! Temperatures between 31 and 9 degrees Celsius on my travel route in Andalusia!

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-02-2013 at 09:59 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #381
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Very educational, much appreciated.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #382
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Just looked at Dell's European page and they offered a XPS 10 that cost less than the Latitude even with a bundled keyboard. It reminds me a lot of Asus Transformer except it is Win 8 instead of Android.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #383
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Just looked at Dell's European page and they offered a XPS 10 that cost less than the Latitude even with a bundled keyboard. It reminds me a lot of Asus Transformer except it is Win 8 instead of Android.
I had seen Dell XPS 10 in German Media or Saturn Markt, before I bought Asus VivoTab Smart and Dell Latitude 10 - way before I bought the Microsoft Surface Pro.
To me, the Dell XPS 10 felt sluggish. Maybe it was the firmware/Windows update state. But it didn't convince me, when comparing simple tasks such as flipping through the Metro surface or opening some apps, next to Microsoft surface RT or Asus VivoTab Smart.
And, like all the "clip-on keyboards" I've seen, it felt too bulky and "industrial" to me.
If a tablet plus it's "clip-on keyboard" is fatter than my MacBook Air: Where's the advantage then?
That's why I like the covers from Microsoft: Covers, which cleverly "hide" the keyboard inside and only add 1 or 2 mm.

Wouldn't it have been for the '#*#$%&§ update process from Asus, I would have bought the Origami cover that "hides" an extremely flat bluetooth keyboard: https://www.cyberport.de/asus-transl...-009_1702.html
I'm not a fan of bluetooth keyboards, but it seems an acceptable compromise.

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-02-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #384
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
If a tablet plus it's "clip-on keyboard" is fatter than my MacBook Air: Where's the advantage then?
Uh, it's not a Mac?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #385
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Uh, it's not a Mac?
Then I simply could buy a Windows Ultrabook.
There are quite a few with similar measurements (as MacBook Air).
(I didn't do so myself, because I simply didn't find a "good" Ultrabook yet. I've checked out Toshiba, my former favorite, but found their keyboards extremely "cheap". I've checked out Asus and Acer, but didn't like them entirely. Would I find something of the quality of former Toshiba Satellite Pros, I'd definitely go for it).

But I never found this (Apple vs. Windows) a problem anyway.
VMWare works good enough. And I can do almost everything under OS X anyway.
Some benchmark tests with Bootcamp even ranked the performance above some Ultrabooks (although I've never used Bootcamp myself).

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #386
mgmueller
Member Retired

Surface Pro in Germany

...will be available May 31st.
The 128GB one for € 979, if I remember the news article correctly.