Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course, later this year we will be getting 9.7" eink devices that if they support PDF will do an even better job rendering due to the even higher resolution and the larger screen size. So your best best is to wait.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #17
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
If you could still get one I'd say the XO by the One Laptop Per Child Foundation would meet your needs very well. It has a top resolution of 1200x900 in its "extremely low power" reflective (no backlight) monochrome screen mode, and it folds over like a tablet.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
saniko
saniko is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
You're on crack. I've got an iLiad and I love it, but the best phone... the best device... I have ever used is my unlocked iPhone. Flame me if you want, but the phone features are so intuitive, the music/features are unbelievable, and the unbricked iphone's installer app for new tools is the best application deployment system i've seen in a mobile device. minimo on the iliad? the iPhone has the best mobile browser ever!

Sorry. The iLiad would be great for your needs. The iPhone, however well the PDF reader works, would be a terrible viewing experience. I've tried and it was all zoom in/ zoom out hell.
saniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:57 AM   #19
calvarez
calvarez began at the beginning.

Device: None yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
If you could still get one I'd say the XO by the One Laptop Per Child Foundation would meet your needs very well. It has a top resolution of 1200x900 in its "extremely low power" reflective (no backlight) monochrome screen mode, and it folds over like a tablet.
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have an Eee PC, and it's awesome, but it's still too big for what I have in mind (I was hoping for something that would fit in a pocket).

About the iPhone, I tried the PDF reader and it works well for me. I will be mostly reading text (computer books and academic journal articles), and not magazines (where you would definitely be needing to zoom in/zoom out all the time.

I have other reasons for getting an iPhone as well (I want to do software development on them), so it seems like the perfect match for my particular needs.
calvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 AM   #20
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have an Eee PC, and it's awesome, but it's still too big for what I have in mind (I was hoping for something that would fit in a pocket).

About the iPhone, I tried the PDF reader and it works well for me. I will be mostly reading text (computer books and academic journal articles), and not magazines (where you would definitely be needing to zoom in/zoom out all the time.

I have other reasons for getting an iPhone as well (I want to do software development on them), so it seems like the perfect match for my particular needs.
Hi calverez,

like you, i have a fair number of pdf's too. I still want to buy a dedicated reader, looking at the Assus Eee they bought a 9" ones out with more memory and one that runs windows xp and one on linux - but that'll be too big for your needs.

I recently bought iphone, after playing with itouch and being very impressed with it (btw it works brilliantly on TMobile, Im on the web n walk plan, even gprs works without setting anything up). Theres a couple of pdf's viewers on iphone, they are still rough round the edges, but ok for viewing pdfs for reference use. For more comfortable reading, a larger device like the 9" Eee would handle my needs.

sood

ps. u mention you do software dev - i used to develop a lot in the old days (delphi / pascal), looking at picking it up again. Where would i start looking to develop for iphone? (any good web sites)
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #21
saniko
saniko is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Get the SDK! Apply off of the Apple site.
saniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:51 AM   #22
calvarez
calvarez began at the beginning.

Device: None yet!
SHAMELESS BUMP! (I hope this is not considered rude in this board, I know it is in some. My apologies.)

So, my T-mobile contract expired, and I decided not to get the iPhone. The device is amazing, but I think I don't need all the capabilities of the iPhone (and the data plan cost) when what I really need is a portable device for reading PDFs.

So, I want to ask: would the Cybook Gen3 with the new firmware satisfy my needs?
1)Large (filesize-wise) A4-sized PDF files with complex layout and pictures
2)I don't want to reflow, as that usually ruins the layout of my particular books
3)I want my device to fit in my big pocket, I don't want to be forced to carry around a backpack or bag just for the device. So no EeePC-sized things, but I am willing to put up with something larger than an iPhone. ~6'' screen is acceptable, ~10'' isn't.
4)Because of 1), 2) and 3), I am willing to put up with zooming and panning as long as it is fast enough (2-3 secs. top)
5)US$400 is my budget, I can't go over (so, I can't afford an iRex device)
6)eInk is preferable, but I'd be willing to go for something else

Does the Cybook Gen3 satisfy this? Thanks for your input.

Last edited by calvarez; 10-02-2008 at 12:53 AM.
calvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:44 AM   #23
redbaron101
Zealot
redbaron101 began at the beginning.

Device: palm t3, iphone, bebook (hanlin v3 clone)
Quote:
SHAMELESS BUMP! (I hope this is not considered rude in this board, I know it is in some. My apologies.)

So, my T-mobile contract expired, and I decided not to get the iPhone. The device is amazing, but I think I don't need all the capabilities of the iPhone (and the data plan cost) when what I really need is a portable device for reading PDFs.

So, I want to ask: would the Cybook Gen3 with the new firmware satisfy my needs?
1)Large (filesize-wise) A4-sized PDF files with complex layout and pictures
2)I don't want to reflow, as that usually ruins the layout of my particular books
3)I want my device to fit in my big pocket, I don't want to be forced to carry around a backpack or bag just for the device. So no EeePC-sized things, but I am willing to put up with something larger than an iPhone. ~6'' screen is acceptable, ~10'' isn't.
4)Because of 1), 2) and 3), I am willing to put up with zooming and panning as long as it is fast enough (2-3 secs. top)
5)US$400 is my budget, I can't go over (so, I can't afford an iRex device)
6)eInk is preferable, but I'd be willing to go for something else

Does the Cybook Gen3 satisfy this? Thanks for your input.

yeah having used my unlocked iphone for a while now, I would agree pdf's dont really cut it on the iphone - its brill for text/html, but pdfs just takes too much effort and detracts from the reading experience, especially if they are large pdf files. If your going for the cygen 3 have you considered the sony 505? Another contender might be the hanlin v3 (r2) which is supposed to do pdfs and chm fairly well?
redbaron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #24
julianor
julianor began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
N 810 as a reader?

Quote:
I took a look at the N810, and it seems like a very cool device indeed.
You are right, it is. But I like it more due to Internet access. Reading a pdf really works, but the letters are so small that I can read only without glasses...

In addition, the processor is not very fast and you cannot turn the page in a landmark position.

So I just have ordered a Sony Reader (505) a couple of days ago, not knowing about the new device (700)

I will tell you what seems better for me.

All the best

Julianor
julianor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #25
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi Calvarez

For your budget and your needs you need a small laptop - Asus Eepc.

Positives:
Reads everything you throw at it, no problems with Pdf’s at all.

Negatives:
Battery is a joke (compared with a eInk device), you will not be able to read anything useful in direct sun.

If you this way, get the windows version.

Good shopping,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote