Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #46
kilikini
Enthusiast
kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kilikini has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3, KFire, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
Have you tried Bluefire Reader? If so, how does readMe compare? (I'd look myself but I hate to pay $1.99 for something I won't use. It's the principle.)
Unfortunately, I can't compare them because BlueFire Reader just freezes my jailbroken devices.
kilikini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #47
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilikini View Post
Unfortunately, I can't compare them because BlueFire Reader just freezes my jailbroken devices.
Take a look at post #504 in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...er#post1477935

It's a workaround and there's more about it in the thread, but essentially, you load the tweak Backgrounder (from Cydia), follow the directions in the post and the freezing problem is fixed.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #48
emt
Nameless Being

Get Real About Stanza!

Why is everyone assuming that Stanza will stay broken - any release of IOS5 is just a beta - and lots of apps are broken in IOS5 - that's why Apple (and other companies) release betas. You might as well worry about the sky falling - why not wait until the formal release and then see is Stanza remains broken (and whether it will be fixed)
Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #49
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Why is everyone assuming that Stanza will stay broken
Because the original Stanza developers have already left Amazon.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #50
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
I'm looking for a decent ePub reader myself. I've been trying to like iBooks, but it wastes SO MUCH space. It doesn't even have a full screen reading mode like most other reading apps have (that is, remove the status bar and screen controls). Plus, it's a bit slow.
I thought I was the only one who felt this way.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #51
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally found a nice alternative to Stanza - on Android that is. Sadly, even with the number of ebook reader apps available for the iOS platform, I've found none that works as well as Stanza for my use.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #52
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Finally found a nice alternative to Stanza - on Android that is. Sadly, even with the number of ebook reader apps available for the iOS platform, I've found none that works as well as Stanza for my use.
Try Cool Reader..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps we should wait for the release of iOS5 and see whether a compatible version of Stanza comes out before holding the funeral?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #54
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Try Cool Reader..
Tried that and it doesn't render a large collection of my ePubs properly.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #55
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Perhaps we should wait for the release of iOS5 and see whether a compatible version of Stanza comes out before holding the funeral?
Agreed, Stanza updated on iOS4's release also.. Even if the Dev's left, Amazon now owns the source code..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #56
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Since Stanza is no longer supported it will eventually die on the vine even if it works in iOS5. If users would abandon it and move-on certainly that would spur development with other apps.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:47 PM   #57
emt
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Try Cool Reader..
Is Cool Reader available for the Ipad2 - I've used it on my Xoom and I like it a lot?
Old 08-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #58
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Is Cool Reader available for the Ipad2 - I've used it on my Xoom and I like it a lot?
Cool Reader is GPLed software, which is incompatible with Apple's App Store ToS. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...app-store/8046
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #59
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
Cool Reader is GPLed software, which is incompatible with Apple's App Store ToS. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...app-store/8046
Ugh, I really wish the other VideoLAN developers would have overruled that prick.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #60
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Ugh, I really wish the other VideoLAN developers would have overruled that prick.
What "prick" are you referring to? It seems clear that the GPL licence under which the software was developed is incompatible with the AppStore's terms of service. The FSF have acted entirely properly in notifying Apple of this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza