Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Rod Laird
Rod Laird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Dates wrong on scheduled news: what am I doing wrong?

Thanks Kovid for a wonderful programme btw; a well earned donation should be with you by now.

My problem is that scheduled news downloads are being dated the previous day. When I run the download again manually, the correct date is assigned.

Not a big issue but an otherwise beautiful automation requires manual intervention (and multiple email sends) to get the right data on the Kindle.

Last edited by Rod Laird; 11-05-2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: I'm a daft bugger who can't get Kovid's name right!
Rod Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What timezone are you in, what time are you scheduling the downloads and what version of calibre are you running?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 02:28 AM   #3
Rod Laird

I'm in GMT+10 on 0.7.26. I initially set up the scheduled time to be 0000hrs. Then I thought perhaps that Calibre may have seen this as the previous day and changed it to 0700hrs. Typically my machine is not running at either of these times, but Calibre does recognise un-triggered events and duly launches the queued downloads when it is itself launched. After previously having the same problem with the 0000hrs schedule, yesterday I set the daily items to 0700hrs.

This morning calibre launched on startup (about 0800hrs) and nicely fetched and sent the news to my Kindle. (Bloody marvelous) But the item dates were again set to the previous day - and so the Kindle dumped the new material in the back issues area.

Re-running the same items manually, re-downloaded and transferred items with the correct date. And all was hunky dory.

So it is not clear to me what is setting the downloaded item date... I could see not preference items that would set any timezone over-rides or anything related to time. (And could not see why they might be needed)

Again - an incredible programme. And apologies, Kovid, for the previous mis-appellation

Rod
Old 11-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do the following:

open the automatically downloaded mobi file in the calibre ebook viewer and click the show information button. That will tell you the published date in the file, do the same for a manually downloaded one and see if there is a difference.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Rod Laird

Doh; thanks for the hint to do the obvious. It seems the published date is indeed the previous day for both auto and manual - if I get up early enough! The banner component is updated sometime around 0900 it seems, so fetching it before then gets the new RSS feeds but not the new header information. So the answer is... ...only schedule the update a little later in the day...

Sorry to trouble you and indeed a newb issue. Should have figured it out myself!

(p.s. is there any way to have Calibre auto-minimise on launch; I could not see any command line flags to this effect in the online docs...)
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

--start-in-tray (you have to enable the system tray icon in preferences first)