Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #76
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
So I2Reader can connect to Calibre's content server?

Are there any other readers in the AppStore that can connect to the Calibre content server?

I like the BlueFire app, but hate that I can't set up a connection to Calibre. That functionality of Stanza is probably one of my favorites.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #77
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
Got my new phone ordered. I'll keep using Stanza as long as I can, but I suspect I'll have to bite the bullet and choose another reader soon.
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #78
gutenberger
gutenberger began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Just installed and played around with MegaReader. The UI is alright, but I do miss the "edit book" functionality of Stanza (RIP).
gutenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #79
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post

Are there any other readers in the AppStore that can connect to the Calibre content server?

I like the BlueFire app, but hate that I can't set up a connection to Calibre. That functionality of Stanza is probably one of my favorites.
I don't know if this will help, but I keep my Calibre library in Dropbox and use the Dropbox app on my iPod Touch to access the books. I can open the files in the Bluefire app with no trouble. I don't have an iPad, but things ought to work the same way on the iPad.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #80
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookkatz View Post
I don't know if this will help, but I keep my Calibre library in Dropbox and use the Dropbox app on my iPod Touch to access the books. I can open the files in the Bluefire app with no trouble. I don't have an iPad, but things ought to work the same way on the iPad.
True but as far as I'm aware, Bluefire can't read metadata information embedded in ePub. I don't think there's a way to sort ebooks in Bluefire by categories, either. I just checked my iPhone and I've got 2,704 ebooks in my Stanza library (accumulated since 2008). Stanza is smart enough to recognize the <subject> tags in the metadata file so all those ebooks are automatically sorted into collections. Imagine doing that manually via iBooks.

Besides, being able to access your library via Dropbox is a vastly different experience to being able to use the Calibre OPDS feed. With Calibre OPDS, ebooks can be sorted via authors, publishers, tags, series and whatever custom categories you might want to create. You also have access to a very robust search function. I reckon for a lot of folks, the organization and Calibre OPDS support are two of the reasons they stay with Stanza.

The Kobo reader app is actually able to display metadata information (no formatting, though). Caveat, you're going to need to manage collections yourself.

I've already pre-ordered an iPhone 4S but I'm still not sure if I want to keep it or sell it. Stanza is the only thing that's keeping me on iOS and there's a good chance I'll lose that with iOS 5.

I've actually found a relatively decent alternative for Stanza on the Android platform (Mantano Reader). I don't think it supports OPDS just yet, though, but it's on the developer's laundry list (native support for Calibre's database is also under consideration). There are, however, plenty of apps on Android that support OPDS in the meantime. What I do right now is use FBReader to access Calibre (and other OPDS feeds) and use Mantano Reader for reading.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-12-2011 at 11:20 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #81
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksik View Post
Try uBooks app
First, get an update out that addresses at least two of the issues mentioned in the other thread. Then we'll talk business. :-)

(You might want to compare your marketing strategy with that of Micah's of Bluefire Reader, btw - he talks *after* making real, visible progress...)
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #82
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Updated to iOS5 this morning, didnt even consider that Stanza would no longer work, what a bummer! I was halfway through a book and now, pouf, gone. I cant even save it out because none of the stanza books appear in the apps are of itunes. I probably have it somewhere else but at the moment my hard drives and computers are in various states of disconnect and I want it NOW. lol.

Need to check for new readers.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #83
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
I've messed with I2Reader, and it can connect to the Calibre content server, but only download one book at a time that I could figure out.

I had a few thousands of books on Stanza, and could download a couple hundred books at a time in batches of 50. (mark the page to download, get get another page, mark the page to download....)

I'm really frustrated with loading books one at a time through Calibre or the web sites. People have whole libraries they want to carry around, who has time to piddle with one book at a time?

I've tried loading I2Reader through itunes, and it loads more books, but then I get the error that it can't save the file library because it's out of memory. Which I figure is an iTunes problem. So sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't been able to find what size triggers the memory problem.

So I've lost all my sorting abilities for my library, my bulk loading, and my font size and color choices when I lost Stanza. None of the others seems to even come close any more.

Bummed out, because I don't trust Dropbox or any of the cloud services to store my stuff. I just don't see it as dependable in the long run. I paid for all that extra gig on my devices, and I want to use it!
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #84
evanbernstein
evanbernstein began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, Marvin
another stanza user

I just upgraded to iOS 5 without thinking that there would be all these threads around saying that Stanza doesn't work on it. The app I use and love the most on my iPhone.

I have nothing new to contribute except a plea for amazon to update stanza (or to incorporate it into the kindle app) or for the other developers make new ebook readers to make something we all loved as much as stanza.

*sigh*
evanbernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #85
ArQangel
ArQangel began at the beginning.

Device: IPad2
ARCReader`

Same boat as you all after the IOS5 upgrade. Lost stanza. And not happy with much that's out there.

But Try.. ARCReader. Its not all there but its on the way. I think we some reasonable upgrades this could easily become my replacement for Stanza

ArQ
ArQangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #86
exador
exador began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
when i searched for ARCReader, all i could find was a mapping application....
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #87
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
i haven't found a replacement for Stanza yet. Particularly, sugarsync app doesn't play well with "Open in.." bluefire/stanza etc. but at least with Stanza, I can copy the link for my sugarsync file and then open it from the download books from URL option. I can't find anything similar in bluefire or ubooks (ubooks "upload" feature is just plain confusing and doesn't work with the sugarsync link). Customization options (fonts, etc., the ability to see phone status such as TIME) are just not as expansive on all the other apps I've tried. Such a disappointment.. i'm going to hold off on upgrading my iphone to ios5 for a while.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #88
minot578
minot578 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & iPad
Recover Stanza books from iTunes backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Updated to iOS5 this morning, didnt even consider that Stanza would no longer work, what a bummer! I was halfway through a book and now, pouf, gone. I cant even save it out because none of the stanza books appear in the apps are of itunes. I probably have it somewhere else but at the moment my hard drives and computers are in various states of disconnect and I want it NOW. lol.

Need to check for new readers.
found something on the lexcycle site that lets you recover stanza books from your itunes backup....

http://www.lexcycle.com/content/stan...k-restore-tool
minot578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #89
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
I've tried Kobo, Megareader, Bluefire, and iBooks. So far it looks like Kobo is the best for me, although it's pretty slow on my 3Gs. I'm sure it will be faster on my 4S tomorrow.

I do wish Kobo had a little finer control over font size.

Last edited by ki5ck; 10-13-2011 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #90
kirra
kirra began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Stanza is smart enough to recognize the <subject> tags in the metadata file so all those ebooks are automatically sorted into collections. Imagine doing that manually via iBooks.
Are there any alternative apps that can do this? My number one epub reader criteria is this at the moment. Ideally I'm looking for a label/tagging-like system, aka Stanza's subject and collections, for epub management/categorization. Shelves won't work for me since I'd like to bin my books under multiple subjects and collections and so far all apps implement them like exclusive folders.

Thanks
kirra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza